Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 01:55 PM

257 posts, read 177,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Gotta go much farther west to.... get to the west. Travel on now, get on down the road; head towards the late afternoon sun.

You forgot "go west, young man"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2018, 01:59 PM

Maybe not "Shootout at the OK Corral" "western" towns in a day trip from the Houston area, but there are some towns to the west of us that are worth a trip and would give someone a glimpse of real small town Texas, especially the German influence.

Someone suggested La Grange, and I would second that (someone else said if you're going to Lagrange you might as well go to San Antonio, I disagree, you're talking an hour drive vs a 3 hour, one is doable as a daytrip, one is not). The town of La Grange itself is cute, and Prause Meat Marketis an authentic old school Central Texas German meat market and barbecue, but the best thing about La Grange is nearby Monument Hill State Park - truly a little slice of Texas Hill Country close to Houston, not just because of the vista from the top of the bluff, but also because "Numerous plants and animals common to the limestone-based soils of the Hill Country, 70 miles northwest, have been transported and deposited in this locale by the Colorado River, located at the base of the 200-foot bluff. These species flourish in pockets of alkaline soils produced through erosion of the calcareous sandstone cap of the escarpment."

The park also has a lot of history, including the tomb and monument to the ill-fated Dawson Expedition of 1836 and Mier Expedition of 1842, and the Kreische house, barn, smokehouse, and the ruins of the brewery. It's a small, compact park. There are several well-maintained hiking trails, none of them over half a mile loops. But you can enjoy the park, its scenic views, and picnicking without doing very much walking at all, and it's free (small donation suggested).

Other places:

Cuero is a cool town with a Czech background, and it has the Chisholm Trail Heritage Museum, which would please any Old West history buff. The downtown with all its late 1800s storefronts kinda has a "western" feel to it, I guess. A few years ago Budget Traveler magazine rated it one of the "Coolest Small Towns in America."
The San Felipe de Austin State Historic Site in the Sealy area is a great reacreation of the 1820s pioneer village that started Anglo settlement of Texas truly rolling.

Schulenberg Texas is another cool little German-ish town.

Gonzales was a good suggestion, especially combined with Palmetto State Park. Sections of the park look more like South Florida than the Wild West, that would really throw anyone's preconceptions about Texas akilter.

Old Town Spring, if you ignore the dense pine forest, I guess the buildings have an Old West look, but I'm not going back unless the old Spring (Wunsche Bros.) Cafe reopens.

And I guess Magnolia could kind of look western.

Chappell Hill does kind of look like a western town, now that I think about it, and it's a cool enough day trip location.

Old 07-01-2018, 01:08 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,389,294 times
Take them to George Ranch. It’s very authentic for what life was like in Texas in the past.https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...ond_Texas.html

Old 07-03-2018, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
Take them to George Ranch. It’s very authentic for what life was like in Texas in the past.https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...ond_Texas.html

Oh, good one, I forgot about that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston