Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 02:25 PM

27 posts, read 37,517 times

Advertisements

Dear All,

How easy is it to find a job of high school science teacher in Houston or Dallas. My wife has ACP (alternative certification) and still we are not sure where to move Dallas or Houston.We want to move to that city that has most teaching jobs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2017, 03:13 PM

1,743 posts, read 3,823,383 times
It depends, does she have a bullet proof vest and a permit to carry a handgun?

Old 03-23-2017, 03:24 PM

Not sure what that means?

Old 03-23-2017, 04:02 PM

1,743 posts, read 3,823,383 times
Most likely with an alternative certificate she will be starting in the hood. If she can handle the hood for a year minimum, then she can transfer to a better school and area.

Old 03-23-2017, 04:09 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,953,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston321 View Post
Most likely with an alternative certificate she will be starting in the hood. If she can handle the hood for a year minimum, then she can transfer to a better school and area.
That was my experience too. When I almost became a teacher, the ACP seemed like it was viewed similarly to a GED.

Old 03-23-2017, 04:09 PM

so this means its harder?

Old 03-23-2017, 04:12 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,953,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naeemusman View Post
so this means its harder?
Probably yes. She'll likely go to the end of the line behind the candidates with a degree in education. Being science, it will be better than if she was social studies or history though. The ones who are in great shape are the math ACPs.

Old 03-23-2017, 04:18 PM

is this situation only in Houston or Dallas or both

Old 03-23-2017, 04:36 PM

218 posts, read 221,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston321 View Post
I'm sorry but this is simply not true. My first teaching position was in Cy-Fair, a nice suburban district. I don't like those kinds of schools so I got out as quickly as possible. I like title 1 schools. That is the population group I feel needs me the most. That is how most teachers choose their districts. To be totally honest, if a person is trying to "work their way to a 'nice' district" then they are not in it for the real reason. Teaching is a calling and if you don't have it you are wasting your time. You will not last. Teachers choose their schools based on what population they feel drawn to. If you like suburban districts then apply at suburban districts. If you like urban, then apply at urban districts. Teaching is not like the private sector. One does not become a teacher to "work your way up". This mindset is actually kind of offensive.
You don't get into teaching for the money nor the summers. I have known many people in it for the summers and they are miserable and the vast majority do not make it.

Old 03-23-2017, 07:34 PM

41 posts, read 56,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdz1979 View Post
I'm sorry but this is simply not true. My first teaching position was in Cy-Fair, a nice suburban district. I don't like those kinds of schools so I got out as quickly as possible. I like title 1 schools. That is the population group I feel needs me the most. That is how most teachers choose their districts. To be totally honest, if a person is trying to "work their way to a 'nice' district" then they are not in it for the real reason. Teaching is a calling and if you don't have it you are wasting your time. You will not last. Teachers choose their schools based on what population they feel drawn to. If you like suburban districts then apply at suburban districts. If you like urban, then apply at urban districts. Teaching is not like the private sector. One does not become a teacher to "work your way up". This mindset is actually kind of offensive.
You don't get into teaching for the money nor the summers. I have known many people in it for the summers and they are miserable and the vast majority do not make it.
I agree on pretty much all of this ^ I don't have anything else to add about how wrong the viewpoints are on those other posts. I'm speaking from the experience of myself and my husband.

Is she looking for a job for next year? Science is a high need area, and many districts have already posted jobs for the fall. Tell her to start applying now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: