Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 09:16 PM

389 posts, read 1,220,708 times

Advertisements

I lived in East Texas for a decade. I think poster #2 has it about right. East Texas is vastly different than west Texas. Lot of pretty scenery if one knows where to look. But Arkansas is better and cooler.

Once you get up into Arkansas consider stopping in Glenwood for some of the best catfish you'll find anywhere. 30 miles up the road is Hot Springs and it is about 30 miles onto I30 and then you can go into Little Rock which is a piece of cake. Stay on it until you get onto I40 and then you can drive into Memphis. You don't want to get onto 530 or 630 as that will be out of your way. It is a bit tricky but you will know you are on the right highway as you pass a huge church on the left. Then stay on I40 to Memphis. But I think there may be some construction going on although I haven't been that way in a while.

Trying to see how you might bypass Texarkana to get onto 71. You might want to avoid it if possible. If you can, then you can go up and eventually through Mt. Ida and some very pretty scenery. I think Highway 27 is in there somewhere. I drove up to Fort Smith recently from Hot Springs and it was just stunning along the way. And there are many more drives in Arkansas well worth exploring if you have the time. Highways 7 and 23 come to mind. You could go up to Russellville from Hot Springs on 7 instead of going back to I30 and then double back on I40 bypassing Little Rock altogether.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 09:30 PM

16,511 posts, read 26,378,264 times
Don't think anyone has mentioned Toledo Bend, worth checking out.

Old 08-04-2013, 10:14 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,365,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Don't think anyone has mentioned Toledo Bend, worth checking out.
I think we can all agree that there's a lot to see between Houston and Nashville and a thousand ways to get from Point A to Point B. I honestly think you can't go wrong with the Ouachitas, though.

Old 08-04-2013, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I think we can all agree that there's a lot to see between Houston and Nashville and a thousand ways to get from Point A to Point B. I honestly think you can't go wrong with the Ouachitas, though.
No you cannot, especially us being from the Gulf Coast. I've taken 59 up to Shreveport then went up to Little Rock, there was pretty rolling hills and tall timbers but I think I'd rather see the 5th largest man-made reservoir in the country, largest in the area. Compared to the rest of the trip, hills are a given. But I just love looking at large bodies of water. I've been to Hot Springs and it was amazing, quaint downtown they have.

Old 08-04-2013, 10:30 PM

Quote:
No you cannot, especially us being from the Gulf Coast. I've taken 59 up to Shreveport then went up to Little Rock, there was pretty rolling hills and tall timbers but I think I'd rather see the 5th largest man-made reservoir in the country, largest in the area. Compared to the rest of the trip, hills are a given. But I just love looking at large bodies of water. I've been to Hot Springs and it was amazing, quaint downtown they have.
Toledo Bend is very special, and it's a shame most Texans don't even seem to know about it. East Texas is incredibly underrated.

Old 08-05-2013, 11:19 AM

18,144 posts, read 25,346,422 times
Quote:
I drove to Shreveport and up to Texarkana and it was the same than going up 59 except that the speed limit in Texas is about 70 and in Louisiana about 55.

Old 08-05-2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Toledo Bend is very special, and it's a shame most Texans don't even seem to know about it. East Texas is incredibly underrated.
Maybe because our side is more populated. People here have camps there or rent cabins. Never heard much about the Texas side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I drove to Shreveport and up to Texarkana and it was the same than going up 59 except that the speed limit in Texas is about 70 and in Louisiana about 55.
You mean on Hwy 71? Soon I-49 will be complete and the speed limit back up to 70. I don't recall a 70mph speed limit on Hwy 59 though.

Old 08-05-2013, 12:02 PM

18,144 posts, read 25,346,422 times
Quote:
Maybe because our side is more populated. People here have camps there or rent cabins. Never heard much about the Texas side.

You mean on Hwy 71? Soon I-49 will be complete and the speed limit back up to 70. I don't recall a 70mph speed limit on Hwy 59 though.
Here's one Marshall, Texas

I always think is funny that the little road between Mt. Enterprise and Carthage the speed limit is 70MPH
That's gotta be the highest speed limit for a country road

Old 08-05-2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Here's one Marshall, Texas

I always think is funny that the little road between Mt. Enterprise and Carthage the speed limit is 70MPH
That's gotta be the highest speed limit for a country road
DANG.

That's nonsense but I like it.

Old 08-05-2013, 02:33 PM

Quote:
It's the same thing on this side of border, as far as recreation goes. Pretty much the entirety of the Texas side is in the Sabine National Forest, and there really isn't much of a population in the vicinity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston