Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Houston's Beauty underrated?
Yes, Definitely! 42 23.46%
Not at all 70 39.11%
Somewhat, not entirely 66 36.87%
Other (Please explain) 1 0.56%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 06:26 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,421,967 times

Advertisements

I agree with the idea of studying and implementing ways to mitigate flooding in downtown Houston, including diversion channels and retention ponds/lakes. But, this is the first time I've heard of any proposal to extend the ship channel to downtown Houston. I suppose that is an idea from way back.

In any case, I think that if we want our city to continue to be successful going forward, we've got to be willing to take dramatic steps, if necessary, to avoid these catastrophic flooding events in our CBD.

If we can leverage such efforts to create amenities that make it more attractive as a place to work, live, and play ... all the better. I think that benefits would accrue from that for the general population of the area, albeit indirectly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2018, 09:28 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,306,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Ya, but how did you observe that? The majority of the most conservative states are mountain states.
Technically speaking, this is completely false. Only four of the highest level conservative states are mountainous (MT, ID, WY, UT). And of all those Western mountainous states, more went for Hillary than for Trump.

Quote:
It just seems like a random wrong observation out of left field, unless you've only been to like Denver and/or LA and San Francisco.
It seems that way to you because your reading comprehension and familiarity with facts just isn't up to par.

Old 06-07-2018, 09:25 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,270,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
Technically speaking, this is completely false. Only four of the highest level conservative states are mountainous (MT, ID, WY, UT). And of all those Western mountainous states, more went for Hillary than for Trump.

It seems that way to you because your reading comprehension and familiarity with facts just isn't up to par.
MT, ID, WY, UT + CO are what are considered the Rocky mountain states and only Colorado is "Liberal". Outside of of the Denver area Colorado is pretty conservative. I guess you could count Nevada to get 2/6. If you want to stretch it and count Arizona and New Mexico it's 3 of 7, though both of those states are much more "Moderate" than anything else.

Look back east the Appalachian Mountain states of WV, KY, TN and NC and you will find that not only are these conservative states, but like their western counterparts the more mountainous parts of these states are the more conservative parts of them. Even swing states like PA are more conservative in the mountains.

In OR most of the area of the state is Republican if you look by county, including of course the mountains which are all over the state, not just near Portland and Eugene. The most conservative parts of California are the Sierras (mountains)Northern California,(Mountains) and Central Valley (Agg).

Globally mountainous areas tend to be more conservative as well as they tend to be more isolated.

I don't see any evidence to your claim that Mountains are associated with liberals, sure, some mountainous areas are liberal, and some of the best mountain towns are known as liberal like Boulder or Sun Valley, but broadly speaking that usually is the exception rather than the rule. Why do you think the term hillbilly exists? People in mountains are historically generally seen as less sophisticated.

These are actual facts.

Anyway, none of this has anything to do with Houston being beautiful or not, but no, you don't have to be liberal to prefer mountains to flatness, Houston is more liberal than any part of mountain states anyway,(besides perhaps small college towns) including Denver, not unlike another large,flat, liberal city, Chicago.

Old 06-07-2018, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Globally mountainous areas tend to be more conservative as well as they tend to be more isolated.
Quote:
but broadly speaking that usually is the exception rather than the rule. Why do you think the term hillbilly exists? People in mountains are historically generally seen as less sophisticated.
Sophistication doesn't really have much to do with conservatism or liberalism necessarily. And as far as on the global basis, the conservatism applies more in the sense of retaining traditional heritage, rather than with specific views on hot topics. Hence the lack of issue that New Age/Hippie liberals of the US have with adopting practices from Buddhist mountain monk traditions.

Quote:
MT, ID, WY, UT + CO are what are considered the Rocky mountain states and only Colorado is "Liberal". Outside of of the Denver area Colorado is pretty conservative. I guess you could count Nevada to get 2/6. If you want to stretch it and count Arizona and New Mexico it's 3 of 7, though both of those states are much more "Moderate" than anything else.

Look back east the Appalachian Mountain states of WV, KY, TN and NC and you will find that not only are these conservative states, but like their western counterparts the more mountainous parts of these states are the more conservative parts of them. Even swing states like PA are more conservative in the mountains.

In OR most of the area of the state is Republican if you look by county, including of course the mountains which are all over the state, not just near Portland and Eugene. The most conservative parts of California are the Sierras (mountains)Northern California,(Mountains) and Central Valley (Agg).

I don't see any evidence to your claim that Mountains are associated with liberals, sure, some mountainous areas are liberal, and some of the best mountain towns are known as liberal like Boulder or Sun Valley, but broadly speaking that usually is the exception rather than the rule.
Quote:
Ya, but how did you observe that? The majority of the most conservative states are mountain states. It just seems like a random wrong observation out of left field, unless you've only been to like Denver and/or LA and San Francisco.
Quote:
but no, you don't have to be liberal to prefer mountains to flatness, Houston is more liberal than any part of mountain states anyway,(besides perhaps small college towns) including Denver, not unlike another large,flat, liberal city, Chicago.
Let's remember that all I said was that I've seen those aspects associated with each other quite often. Chances are, if you're meeting someone from any of those states/regions, they're going to be from the high-populated, "tiny" blue islands rather than from the large red swaths of nothingness. Nowhere did I say that preference for a terrain type was tied to ideology. Why you keep insisting that, I don't know.

Quote:
Anyway, none of this has anything to do with Houston being beautiful or not
Exactly, so there was no point in arguing with me about what I've seen associated. As I've said before.

Last edited by Texyn; 06-07-2018 at 12:22 PM..

Old 06-07-2018, 02:33 PM

3,172 posts, read 2,060,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Technically the Houston Ship Channel starts at the confluence of White Oak Bayou with Buffalo Bayou. The ship channel was supposed to extend to Downtown but stopped at the current turning basin due to a lack of money and the onset of World War 1, similar to the third reservoir in NW Houston and drainage canals that might be finally built post-Harvey.

Creating that lake and widening the bayou would help with the frequent floods that occur in the historic part of Downtown.
That seems like a good idea to look into - I think we need an all-hands-on-deck strategy when it comes to preventing flooding. If they're going to do something like this, now is the time to start figuring out how to get it done.

Old 06-07-2018, 10:47 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,270,676 times
Quote:
Sophistication doesn't really have much to do with conservatism or liberalism necessarily. And as far as on the global basis, the conservatism applies more in the sense of retaining traditional heritage, rather than with specific views on hot topics. Hence the lack of issue that New Age/Hippie liberals of the US have with adopting practices from Buddhist mountain monk traditions.

Whatever conservative means in an individual culture, the mountains of a country tend to have that countries brand of it. Of course, thats the definition of the word conservative in the general sense. Most US conservatives would be quite liberal in parts of the middle east. Political binary is retaliative, but mountain areas will tend to be on the right of that binary regardless of where the middle is.

Quote:
Let's remember that all I said was that I've seen those aspects associated with each other quite often. Chances are, if you're meeting someone from any of those states/regions, they're going to be from the high-populated, "tiny" blue islands rather than from the large red swaths of nothingness. Nowhere did I say that preference for a terrain type was tied to ideology. Why you keep insisting that, I don't know.

That may be what you meant, but what you said was:

Quote:
No, it's pretty much just urbanists, liberals, as well as people who equate beauty with mountains. The three often go hand in hand.
Which is the same as saying that equating beauty with mountains is a liberal thing in the same way the being an urbanist is.(Which in the case of the urbanist is somewhat true)

I'm just saying that isn't true of equating mountains with beauty. Not at all.

Old 06-08-2018, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Whatever conservative means in an individual culture, the mountains of a country tend to have that countries brand of it. Of course, that's the definition of the word conservative in the general sense. Most US conservatives would be quite liberal in parts of the middle east. Political binary is retaliative, but mountain areas will tend to be on the right of that binary regardless of where the middle is.
No, it variates.

Quote:
That may be what you meant, but what you said was:

Which is the same as saying that equating beauty with mountains is a liberal thing in the same way the being an urbanist is.(Which in the case of the urbanist is somewhat true)

I'm just saying that isn't true of equating mountains with beauty. Not at all.
Nope, your comprehension was poor, now move on.

Old 06-08-2018, 06:45 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,249,543 times
Quote:
No, it variates.

Nope, your comprehension was poor, now move on.
Your usual when questioned is that persons comprehension skills and to lessen your need to clarify. Mountain regions ARE more conservative whether you use Appalachia, the great Rocky's, or the Ozarks. In PA that clearly is the case as my state. But also a case can be made poorer folk vote less in these areas also. So if more of the population voted? It is quite possible a more liberal case could be made for some areas.

There is always exceptions ..... but also a in-general truth across common regions. Major cities in these regions can be exceptions.

Old 06-08-2018, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Your usual when questioned is that persons comprehension skills and to lessen your need to clarify.
Followed by your usual of jumping into discussions and subforums you weren't a part of to inject points that, often times, are only tangentially related to the subject. But at least in this instance, you were more legible and concise in your writing.

Quote:
Mountain regions ARE more conservative whether you use Appalachia, the great Rocky's, or the Ozarks. In PA that clearly is the case as my state. But also a case can be made poorer folk vote less in these areas also. So if more of the population voted? It is quite possible a more liberal case could be made for some areas.

There is always exceptions ..... but also a in-general truth across common regions. Major cities in these regions can be exceptions.
All I said was that I've often seen an association of liberal beliefs and preference for mountains. In other words, all I did was state an observation, which is bound to be influenced by what is encountered most. In the case for mountain areas, chances are you'll see more people from the liberal major cities (Denver, Seattle, Asheville, etc) rather than from the conservative swaths of nothingness.

My objective was never about the true political leanings of mountain regions (which is simply a part of the rural vs urban divide trend), nor did I say that the preference was exclusively for a certain ideology. And that's all there is to it. So you and that poster just need to move on.

Old 06-08-2018, 09:44 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,460,210 times
Quote:
Liking mountains isn't a "Liberal" thing lol
The West and East Coasts aren't a "liberal" thing also. (West Coast is beautiful and has better weather in the southern part.) But they are the two most populated parts (and expensive COL wise) of the U.S.A.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston