Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Houston's Beauty underrated?
Yes, Definitely! 42 23.46%
Not at all 70 39.11%
Somewhat, not entirely 66 36.87%
Other (Please explain) 1 0.56%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 04:57 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,717,233 times

Advertisements

Hey Houstonians. I was just looking at a thread on the City Vs City forum and it was listing cities in order from Most-Least beautiful. There were only 12 cities listed, but Houston was at the bottom of a few peoples lists. I'm from Houston, but I've been away long enough to look at the city objectively.

I personally think Houston's a very beautiful place. Trees, greenery, bays, ocean, bayous, swamp, Pine forests, and rivers make for a pretty setting. What do you think of Houston's natural setting? Do you think it's underrated?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 04:58 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,969,730 times
It's stunning.

Old 07-09-2013, 05:03 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,742,204 times
Houston does have some relatively nice areas but the metro area as a whole is by no means "beautiful" especially when you compare it with other cities such as San Francisco, Seattle, Chicago, Boston, Denver, or even Atlanta. People mostly live in Houston because of the good employment opportunities here and the low cost of living not because of the scenery.

Old 07-09-2013, 05:05 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,514,595 times
Honestly, if you can't afford the lot with a view of the bayou or the brown gulf, you are going to get a view of a cedar fence. So...yeah...no view. Is that beautiful? No. But if you land in an area with an old oak canopy, its going to be prettier than most of Manhattan.

But driving around, compared to the other top three Metros , its green. And no, we aren't talking the burbs here, but the actual cities.

Old 07-09-2013, 05:14 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,957,588 times
Houston (and really Texas as a whole) has a lot going for it, but aesthetics are not at the top of the list.

Old 07-09-2013, 05:15 PM

2,086 posts, read 4,136,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
It's stunning.
Totally. Absolutely. Without Question.

Old 07-09-2013, 05:17 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,355,649 times
Naturally, yes. It has that Gulf Coast charm going for it, and there is a way to bring out the beauty in even the flattest of landscapes (look at Chicago), but we didn't capitalize on that potential.

Old 07-09-2013, 05:48 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,728,217 times
Pluses: The Houston city skyline is very impressive and imho very much underrated nationwide. I particularly like BG Group Place. I also like the flora/fauna here much more than I thought I would. It is very lush, almost tropical at certain times. I love Discovery Green (although it is much, much too small for the main downtown park of a city the size of Houston). The medical center skyline constitutes almost a second city kind of feel and not (again imho) in a bad way. It looks nice. I also love the museum district. Minute Maid park and Reliant stadium are both decently attractive (from the inside, Minute Maid is great). The rich people in River Oaks generally have trusted their opulence to competent architects.

Minuses: Most of the metro area has a kind of nondescript strip-mall kind of feel. Since most of us live in spaces like this, the feeling of being in a kind of nowhere zone is pretty hard to shake at times. The Galleria area or "uptown" has mostly awful looking mid-rises that do little for the eye and even less for the soul (for god's sake, building a major attraction out of a mall is already probably a bit misguided). The rich people in the Memorial villages and Bellaire seem to have hired architects whose aim is to reference about twelve or thirteen different architectural styles all in the same garish structures. Finally, I know Heritage Plaza was designed to look like a Mayan pyramid but it doesn't work for me. It's too "new" and too lego-like for my taste.

That's my 2 cents anyway.

Old 07-09-2013, 06:13 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,699,929 times
It has improved a lot. Some areas are gorgeous and others not. I have seen cities that are in worse shape. I do think it is under rated.

Old 07-09-2013, 06:44 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,286,462 times
Default It depends where you are at...

For example, in Katy, one has views of a sleepy streets with huge mature oaks, and homes on large lots..., not exciting, but peaceful. In Montrose, which is within two miles of downtown Houston, you have views of the downtown skyline which is stunning at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston