Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 08:45 AM

74 posts, read 124,878 times

Advertisements

People have given good advice, but I think you've got to live it to decide what you're willing to deal with. I think Woodlands to Galleria in 40 minutes would be highly unusual, but I have to bow to people who actually make the commute.

If you choose to live in a traditional suburb, then you are probably looking at 40 minutes to an hour (or possibly more, depending on where you choose to live in comparison to work). But if you're willing to live closer towards the city, there are options and schools that may work and keep your commute to a more reasonable drive. As you become more comfortable with the city, you'll start to see the options.

If you've got a solid job offer that you're happy with, take the first step. You can take your time getting to know areas and neighborhoods. A great realtor is also indispensable when you're ready to buy. I think you've got the right idea -- come, rent, and check out the commutes.

Keep in mind things change, too. Even if your wife got pregnant today, it would be five-six years before your child would be ready for public school. In that time, a lot can happen for better or worse in a local school and/or area. So I would relax and worry about the job, finding a place to enjoy your first year in Houston, and spend a little time checking out open houses. You'll learn what you need to know.

Welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 09:11 AM

2,086 posts, read 4,145,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coconutbutter View Post
Since you have no kids and don't have plans in the immediate future, would it be possible to buy a property nearby your office, live there for a few years, and then sell it when you want to move for schools?

This is what I would do too, it's too early for you to be concerned with school districts. I'd buy in the loop if it were me, you should be able to find something in your budget in the heights or rice military. Often I hear of new people to the neighborhood have sold in the heights to move here. I think they're on to a good thing!

Old 02-01-2013, 09:15 AM

2,556 posts, read 4,068,602 times
That section of the loop is reliably congested all afternoon/evening. I like EA's suggestion of a townhouse nearby until you can evaluate your options. With no kids, live close in for a while, enjoy city life and a short commute, and figure out down the road if you need something different for a family.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:16 AM

270 posts, read 407,696 times
I'll second EasilyAmused suggestion on leasing a townhouse around Bering/Augusta. My father in law owns (and lives in) one of them, he owns a business on Woodway. He could easily afford a house in memorial at $1 million+, but likes that neighborhood and proximity to work - and he's good at finding a value. He walks to work on nice days.

I'm usually not a townhouse fan, but they just seem to work with the demographic there. Most were built in the 80's but they are well kept, it's clean, quiet, and safe at night. Most of the residents appear to be kidless couples that want to live near the city at reasonable cost (and avoid areas with booming new townhouse builds), older folks who cashed in and sold their houses in Tanglewood or Briargrove, or in a few cases I know people that have multiple homes and use it as their Houston base.

Rent there for a year, enjoy a short commute and learn the city, and you will be in a better position to find a suburb and a commute that works for you. You will also be much more familiar with the city itself, which will make the trips in from the 'burbs on the weekends to hit up some restaurants or shopping more efficient and pleasant.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:47 AM

536 posts, read 1,065,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle450rider View Post
Thank you very much for the reply. I was told that the heaviest afternoon traffic peaks around 4pm. Was I informed wrong? So far from what I've seen Katy is nice but looks like big planned suburbs with no tree's and house's packed in close. Myself, I tend to like the older neighborhoods with big lot's and tall tree's. Seen some nice houses around cypress.
I live in Cypress and commute to the Galleria area every day. We're actually in a new development but with bigger lots than most MPCs tend to have (1/3rd acre). We love it here but 290 can be a pain. For the times you are talking about commuting at, for me, it's perfectly manageable. It's doable in 25 mins at 5.30am but a more realistic commute times is 45 mins to an 1hr at 7.15.7.30ish.

Katy and Sugar Land are both very big areas with a real mix of housing available. You'd probably want to stay fairly close to the freeway otherwise it could take you a long time just to get to/from the freeway. Westpark tollway is a fairly decent commuter road too so look at neighborhoods of it too.

I would say the 610 traffic between 59 and 290 is fairly heavy from lunchtime onwards, does start to peak around 4-4.15 and continues to be bad until 6.30. Leaving work at 6.30pm you will still hit the back end of traffic in that area and in fact almost certainly the worst part of your commute will be closest to your office. Be aware though that a wreck or bad weather can play serious havoc with the commute time and there will be the odd day when your commute could hit 2 hours just due to wrecks/weather/bad luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamCraigHenry View Post
Oh my goodness. To work in the Galleria area but live in Kingwood would be quite a commute. The problem with estimating the traffic is that you never know. Sure the "peak" traffic times are at 4pm and 7:30am but what happens if there is an accident, which we know can happen everyday of the week. That turns a normal 40 minute drive into an hour and 15 minute drive. Have you looked at The Woodlands? you can take the hardy toll road all the way into downtown and run that to the Galleria and you can do the same around 4pm. The Woodlands is a beautiful area and you want trees and bike trails, take a look at The Woodlands.
This is a strange response; no to Kingswood and yet you recommend The Woodlands?! I would actually say there's not that much difference in commute times between Kingwood and The Woodlands. 59 is actually normally a better road than 45 or even the hardy toll and I sure as hell would be avoiding unnecessarily going to downtown at rush hour...

The comments relating to being in a townhouse closer in are sensible, it just all depends on what you are looking for really.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:40 PM

21 posts, read 61,617 times
We just moved here about 4 months ago and I was agree that there is no hell like Houston traffic. God forbid it RAINS! People act like they don't know how to drive at all! I lived in Pearland and worked in Westchase and my commute was 90 minutes each way. No lie. If it rained, or there was an accident on hellish 610/59, forget it...add another 30-45 minutes to the drive. I hate Houston traffic. Hate hate hate it.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:38 PM

286 posts, read 556,465 times
US 59 will eventually getexpanded into I-69 but that won't be happening anytime soon.

Some possible commutes if you live out in the suburbs:

US 59 -> 610
US 90 -> Post Oak -> 610
Fort Bend Tollway -> US 90 -> Post Oak -> 610
West Park Tollway

Last edited by JaqueCosto; 02-01-2013 at 02:03 PM..

Old 02-01-2013, 01:43 PM

286 posts, read 556,465 times
Don't forget to use Houston Transtar and input your commute times.
Houston Speed Map Archive

Old 02-01-2013, 05:31 PM

210 posts, read 429,296 times
This board rocks! Thanks for all the suggestions and wonderful advice.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:59 PM

210 posts, read 429,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaqueCosto View Post
Don't forget to use Houston Transtar and input your commute times.
Houston Speed Map Archive

That is a very neat map to look at traffic flow. Thank you for posting it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston