Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 06:50 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,778,598 times

Advertisements

This happens in every big city
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 06:51 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,039,867 times
I haven't seen many dogs, but I have seen cats & general wildlife killed on the road. It's gross & sickening...

Old 08-23-2012, 06:52 PM

3,593 posts, read 3,100,952 times
There are a lot of dead dogs because TXDOT is very poor at road maintenance, and it sometimes takes days, if at all, when they actually pick up dead dogs. Houston may have as many as any other city, but when you pass a decaying carcass daily it becomes much more noticeable, especially as they accumulate. I passed a dead dog for an entire week on I-45, and I called TXDOT on a daily basis to report it, before they finally picked it up.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:57 AM

538 posts, read 1,364,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
Who do you call to pick up dogs like that?
I've always called Precinct Four (when that's where I've been). After July 4th, I saw several dead dogs. You can tell they bolted out of fear, thanks to their idiot owners leaving them outside while fireworks were going off.

One was laying partially in the lanes of Spring-Cypress and cars were having to dodge it. I pulled over and called and after some frustrating transfers to one department after another, I spoke with someone who said she'd send someone out to pick it up. I've also called to have another large dog picked up off of Louetta. That one was removed within hours. It was right by my old house and I could leave the subdivision without seeing it.

I love dogs. It tears me up to see them like that. God help me if I ever hit one. I've had to pull over after seeing a squirrel get hit. My husband still makes fun of me for that one.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:24 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,647,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by still_waiting View Post
I think you may be correct. Most of the places I have lived have the traditional incline/decline on-ramp Interstate system where the Interstates are separate entities from the non Interstate streets.

I have noticed in Texas especially Houston that the Interstates are more of the feeder/frontage road setups that run in the middle and have businesses and streets on either side. I guess it's easier for roaming dogs to get confused and eventually struck.

Edit to add: My neighborhood is actually nice and quiet with well taken care of lawns and nice "we been here for awhile" neighbors...The undesirable areas are far enough away for my comfort...but not far enough away for roaming dogs to come through from time to time.

Now the next question is why are there so many roaming dogs in Houston...especially North. I live not too far from the area where the Katrina "refugees" are located. "They" seem to have a different outlook of pet ownership than the average pet owner. It's sorta like I'll keep them around until I don't want them and then let them go type of pet ownership. And those dogs are usually mistreated.
Wow really, still calling them refugees and they've been here since 05. If you choose to live here and become apart of the Houston fabric then your not a refugee. Your not looking for refugee anymore. With that said maybe it's just me but why are people counting road kill on the roads when they should be paying attention to the roads more often? No wonder why it's so many bad drivers on the roads. And anytime I see roadkill I don't think to myself "Man Houston has the most in the world!" I'm use to seeing roadkill driving on the highways and freeways in Texas. Use to see them all the time on I-35, I-20, US-259. Not just a Houston thing.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:55 PM

482 posts, read 876,626 times
I don't know why there are so many dead animals lying around, but I wanted to chime in on the rescue groups.

We began looking for a Great Dane for our family. We are excellent owners and have horses too. We are not strangers to vet bills or quality diet. I think we would be ideal for a rescued dog. Many Danes are given up for adoption because they get big and if not properly trained can be a total pain with jumping, counter surfing, etc. They are excellent family dogs. When we started looking, the dane rescue rules were against people with children. I think they also wanted a blood sample and your credit score (just kidding on the last two). I get that they want to place dogs forever but there is also room for common sense. We ended up going to a very reputable breeder and got a puppy. He is an awesome family dog and is treated like royalty around here.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:59 PM

7,545 posts, read 11,600,255 times
Worst area of town for seeing dead animals is the South East 77021 77033 & 77051 you can not drive a 1 mile without seeing a dead dog on the side of the road

Old 08-25-2012, 01:47 PM

75 posts, read 205,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Are you saying in additon to HOV lanes, we need dog lanes??
Looks like we'll have more "dog-day afternoons" until then .

Old 08-27-2012, 10:38 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,270,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
Houston drivers just don't care.
I doubt Houstonians are that cruel and reckless that they're intentionally running over dogs and ruining their cars.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:12 AM

568 posts, read 1,131,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
I doubt Houstonians are that cruel and reckless that they're intentionally running over dogs and ruining their cars.
Exactly, if its between the dog and causing an accident while on the road. Then unfortunately its the dog. Otherwise, I wouldn't want to be stuck with a repair bill for my car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston