Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 12:58 PM

1 posts, read 18,316 times

Advertisements

I am Planning on moving to Houston from Detroit however, my drivers license is suspended in Michigan. Will I be able to get one in Texas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2007, 05:22 PM

11 posts, read 67,746 times
It depends. Texas is apart of some commission, I forget the name, that shares info on driving with other states. Example: I have a TX DL, got a speeding ticket in GA, didn't pay it, GA notified TX and my DL was suspended in TX. However, I also got a ticket in VA, didn't pay it, never heard anything from TX. So it just depends. Not sure how you can find if Michigan is apart of the tattle-telling commission, but I'd bet they are if they require you to carry proof of insurance. e.g. when you get pulled over in Michigan does the cop ask to see your registration and DL or insurance and DL?

Old 09-19-2007, 05:53 PM

119 posts, read 456,822 times
Your best bet would be to call the TX DMV and ask them.

Old 09-20-2007, 06:29 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,691,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDayInSomewhere View Post
Your best bet would be to call the TX DMV and ask them.

JB, the "DMV" in Texas is called the DPS, for Department of Public Safety.

Old 09-20-2007, 08:12 AM

119 posts, read 456,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
JB, the "DMV" in Texas is called the DPS, for Department of Public Safety.
Really? My bad...shows how much I go there. LOL

Old 09-23-2007, 09:29 AM

48 posts, read 178,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbusa View Post
I am Planning on moving to Houston from Detroit however, my drivers license is suspended in Michigan. Will I be able to get one in Texas?
what ever you do get lic prior to moving here, even if you visit here and go back. dont chng your resident statis til you confirm it.

Old 09-25-2007, 07:56 PM

6 posts, read 54,520 times
I didn't believe in HELL, until I went to the Houston, DMV. It took a friggin six hours to get a car registered and a license. I failed the test the first time because 50 percent of the questions were about incidentals related to issues relating to what teenagers do or don't do and what things cost if you need to get certain issues resloved. Like, what the hell does knowing the penality for a teen's drunkeness have to do with my ability to drive down the friggin freeway? And while waiting for a stupid photo, three laddies up and leave on a break. I switched lanes to another window and then the man came through to collect money. More time passed. Then a guy in front of me had issues; it took him twenty minutes plus to reslove. God, I could pass an college entrance exam quicker than I could get through the DMV!

Old 09-25-2007, 07:59 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,580,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sass-sqwatch View Post
I didn't believe in HELL, until I went to the Houston, DMV. It took a friggin six hours to get a car registered and a license. I failed the test the first time because 50 percent of the questions were about incidentals related to issues relating to what teenagers do or don't do and what things cost if you need to get certain issues resloved. Like, what the hell does knowing the penality for a teen's drunkeness have to do with my ability to drive down the friggin freeway? And while waiting for a stupid photo, three laddies up and leave on a break. I switched lanes to another window and then the man came through to collect money. More time passed. Then a guy in front of me had issues; it took him twenty minutes plus to reslove. God, I could pass an college entrance exam quicker than I could get through the DMV!
Did they tell you they would mail it to you also?

Old 09-26-2007, 08:34 AM

33 posts, read 125,623 times
Welcome to Texas. Those DPS (Department of Public Safety) workers make low wages and it shows.

I went in for an address change form a few years ago and I just walked up to the desk to grab the form to fill it out and wait in line. When I went to grab it, the lady sitting there told me I had to wait in line for the form. I told her bull****, grabbed the form, and walked back to the line. When I got up to the desk (kinda like a bank teller desk with a bunch of tellers). The woman I told off walked up to the person assisting me and told her not to serve me since I did not wait 20 mins in line for a form. Forunately, there was a DPS officer (who are in charge of all DPS offices) walked up and told her to wait on me and to ignore the other woman.

I find the DPS office on Old Galveston Road/Highway 3 is the best in the south part of houston. Avoid the one on Preston road in Pasadena. It is ass!

Also, MAKE SURE if you renew your Texas license, do it before it expires or you are taking the test again (maybe even the driving test as well...depends on the moron you get at the DPS office). Also, if you move in from out of state, do some research before getting a TX license. TX does not share all info with all states. You might luck out with hanging on to your old license. TX cannot assign convictions to your license issued from another state. You can get a ticket for speeding, but the insurance company will not find out about it.

Also, there is a conspiracy between the insurance companies, wrecker companies and the state. If you see a wrecker just parked along side the road in Texas, SLOW DOWN! That is your warning a cop is just near by, waiting to nail your ass for speeding.

Insurance companies are scams as well. Typically after 2 tickets, you get dumped and you have to get the SR22 and your in the state insurance pool.

Just do research prior to getting a license if you decide to move to Texas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sass-sqwatch View Post

Old 09-26-2007, 08:47 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,691,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsd247 View Post
Insurance companies are scams as well. Typically after 2 tickets, you get dumped and you have to get the SR22 and your in the state insurance pool.
Yeah but 2 tickets with points on your record really means you got more.

In Houston, the first time you get a ticket can pay $103 to take defensive driving, then go through all the paperwork and nickel & dime hassles for that. Then it is dismissed. You can do this once a year.

If you get a 2nd one in a year, you can pay about $200 and apply for deferred disposition. Keep your nose clean for (I believe) 6 months, and that gets dismissed. However if you're on deferred and get another ticket, you get a double-whammy.

If you've exhausted defensive driving and deferred disposition, the next tickets could show up on your record. But if it's been a year since you've done defensive driving, you can do it again. You can probably do deferred again as long as you're not already on it as well.

I'm no lawyer, but I just got my 1st ticket not long ago. To get points on your record takes quite a bit of screwing off, for lack of a better word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston