Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 11:26 AM

151 posts, read 641,757 times

Advertisements

More like pergutory - I never thought that I would get out of that place. It took me 2 days, a total of 6 hours to register my car and apply for a new license.

Also, note to out-of-towners:

1.) They require that you surrender your out of state DL. thank goodness I thought on my feet and asked for a photocopy of my MI DL. How else would I be able to prove who I really am without some form of photo ID.
2.) You register your vehicle at the County Office.
3.) You apply for a license at the DPS. Yep, two different locations.
4.) Car Inspections: Be CAREFUL where you take your car for the inspection. The first place that I went to found a list of items that needed to be repaired before I could pass inspection. Being the skeptic I am, I drove across the street to a different shop. Passed with no problems. Talk about a scam...

Lastly, don't wait to get your car inspected. I have seen cops stand on foot under the freeway to check cars for valid stickers. Don't get caught!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sass-sqwatch View Post
I didn't believe in HELL, until I went to the Houston, DMV. It took a friggin six hours to get a car registered and a license. I failed the test the first time because 50 percent of the questions were about incidentals related to issues relating to what teenagers do or don't do and what things cost if you need to get certain issues resloved. Like, what the hell does knowing the penality for a teen's drunkeness have to do with my ability to drive down the friggin freeway? And while waiting for a stupid photo, three laddies up and leave on a break. I switched lanes to another window and then the man came through to collect money. More time passed. Then a guy in front of me had issues; it took him twenty minutes plus to reslove. God, I could pass an college entrance exam quicker than I could get through the DMV!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2007, 06:34 PM

182 posts, read 702,746 times
How long after moving to Texas do you have until you're required to have a TX license? Also, do all new residents have to take a written test?

FYI, we went to the office in Old Katy and I was blown away. It was a government office at all, but the old hall of a KOC or VFW building. It was around 3:30 in the afternoon and the hall was filled with folks sitting around in old folding metal chairs. You walk up to a ticket dispenser and take a number and a sign instructing you to take a seat. No human contact what so ever. No forms.

We sat there for about 10 minutes before we heard a couple in front of us tell someone else they had been waiting for over two hours and no one had spoken to them yet.

That's when we said Siyonara.

We are still in temp housing until December, and that experience left a truly bad flavor, but need to find an office that we can at least speak to someone and get some direction as to the process and what forms to fill out.

Old 09-26-2007, 07:40 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,585,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katy_kate View Post
How long after moving to Texas do you have until you're required to have a TX license? Also, do all new residents have to take a written test?

FYI, we went to the office in Old Katy and I was blown away. It was a government office at all, but the old hall of a KOC or VFW building. It was around 3:30 in the afternoon and the hall was filled with folks sitting around in old folding metal chairs. You walk up to a ticket dispenser and take a number and a sign instructing you to take a seat. No human contact what so ever. No forms.

We sat there for about 10 minutes before we heard a couple in front of us tell someone else they had been waiting for over two hours and no one had spoken to them yet.

That's when we said Siyonara.

We are still in temp housing until December, and that experience left a truly bad flavor, but need to find an office that we can at least speak to someone and get some direction as to the process and what forms to fill out.
When you're going to the drivers license office in any city, you should plan to arrive well before 3:30pm. My husband went to the office in Katy, which was as you said an old non-governmental building. However he got there around 10am and was out by 11:30am. Which is Great - considering that I went to one in the Houston city limits (near Sugarland) and waited for nearly 2 hours before I finally got to talk to a person. By the 3rd hour, my number was called and I got to the counter, only to be told that I had to relinquish my FL license and then take a piece of paper and wait approx. 2 weeks to receive a TX license in the mail (talk about antiquated). Needless to say, I still have my FL license

Old 09-26-2007, 08:14 PM

6 posts, read 54,571 times
Thumbs down Beware Houston DPS

I moved here from out of town and thought I was doing a good thing by registering my car and getting a Texas license. Well after five hours, two different offices and seven line changes because everyone sent me to the wrong line or had to take a break, they got me a temporary license and CONFISCATED my current license. Then they told me that I would receive my Texas license in three weeks. Well so much for starting my new job...most employers require a PHOTO ID. I could not use my credit cards since I HAD NO PHOTO ID and I was denied getting my daughter her social security card to she could go to school because I did NOT HAVE A PHOTO ID. DPS said tough ****, wait three weeks and if you don't get it in the mail, come back. I have never seen such a backward place as Houston and it is supposed to be the 6th largest city in the world? So if you want to get a Texas driver's license make sure you have all your ducks in a row and have started a new job and a couple thousand bucks to tide you over since you can't use any debit or credit cards. And beware---Texans hate outsiders with a purple passion and will do anything to make your life miserable.

Old 09-26-2007, 09:23 PM

960 posts, read 2,753,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sass-sqwatch View Post
I moved here from out of town and thought I was doing a good thing by registering my car and getting a Texas license. Well after five hours, two different offices and seven line changes because everyone sent me to the wrong line or had to take a break, they got me a temporary license and CONFISCATED my current license. Then they told me that I would receive my Texas license in three weeks. Well so much for starting my new job...most employers require a PHOTO ID. I could not use my credit cards since I HAD NO PHOTO ID and I was denied getting my daughter her social security card to she could go to school because I did NOT HAVE A PHOTO ID. DPS said tough ****, wait three weeks and if you don't get it in the mail, come back. I have never seen such a backward place as Houston and it is supposed to be the 6th largest city in the world? So if you want to get a Texas driver's license make sure you have all your ducks in a row and have started a new job and a couple thousand bucks to tide you over since you can't use any debit or credit cards. And beware---Texans hate outsiders with a purple passion and will do anything to make your life miserable.

But I'd rather be waiting at the DMV for three weeks instead of at a big-ugly-box-superstore like WalMart.

Old 09-26-2007, 09:58 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,585,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike4Life View Post
But I'd rather be waiting at the DMV for three weeks instead of at a big-ugly-box-superstore like WalMart.
Walmart? Who get's their D.L. @ Walmart I don't want to wait three weeks for something that can be generated in 5 minutes Sass-sqwatch you should have did the smart thing and that was not relinquish your DL - that's what I did. I basically told the lady that I couldn't get on a plane with a piece of paper nor conduct any business transactions without a my DL. I thanked them for wasting my time and left with FL DL in hand

Old 09-27-2007, 10:55 AM

751 posts, read 1,182,118 times
I will describe my experience with the DPS in Houston here, and maybe someone can shed some light (pretty weird!!!). I took some drivers ed at Sears Driving School in Humble when I was 16, but never took the actual test. Then, 2 years later, as I was ready to move out of the state of Texas at age 18, I get this letter in the mail, with something that looks like a drivers license. I figured, they must be sending me a state ID or something, it was a real Texas DL and I never ever had to take any test. Ended up moving to another state and transferring my license to Minnesota, no problems, no question asked. Does the state of Texas assume that people 18 and older can drive, even thought they might have never gotten behind the wheel of a car or is that some sort of mistake? That is one of the things that have puzzled me for years

Old 09-27-2007, 12:03 PM

2,489 posts, read 7,218,717 times
I had a totally different experience. I went in the middle of the month first thing in the am and was in and out in less than a 1/2hour. We picked up our forms beforehand and filled them out before going in and that saved a lot of time. I only had to take the vision test no written or driving exams. Yes I had to surrender my old license but I got my new one within a week, week and a half. Note for women who are married. Make sure you take a copy of your marriage license and birth certificate. Apparantly with heightened security you need to be able to prove your married name now. I didn't have much trouble here as I did in the past in California but having credit cards, soc. security card and another license in your married name isn't enough to prove it anymore. You must show your marriage license.

Old 09-27-2007, 03:52 PM

151 posts, read 641,757 times
Another thing, it helps if you review the website and have ALL of your items with you. It may not reduce the amount of time you'll spend in line, but at least be prepared so you won't be passed around.

Fortunately, I had ALL of my paperwork. Even the clerks were impressed and they gave me no hassles.

Also, no one mentioned how expensive it is either. I spent:
$175 to register vehicle (I drive a 4 door sedan)
$24 to apply for a DL
$41 to have my car inspected

Keep in mind Texas minimums for car insurance - not an issue for me because I already had full coverage. But, if you come from a state (like MI) that allows no-fault, you're going to have to increase your liability coverage which will cost more.

For TX DL: Texas Department of Public Safety

For TX Vehicle Registration: Texas Car Registration Guide - Forms, Locations & Hours - DMV.ORG

In all, pack your patience and do your homework. Give yourself a day to get it all done and thank God that your license won't expire for another 7 years.

Old 09-27-2007, 04:04 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,128,400 times
We got my wife a DL in NJ one month before moving to houston and it only took us 10mins to transfer here. she didnt have any cars on her name tho. I had to come back a week later because i was still waiting on the TX title for my cars which I didnt know was required to get a DL. I think I should have told them I dont have cars anymore and was looking to buy here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston