Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2012, 07:42 PM

657 posts, read 2,544,979 times

Advertisements

I think our construction workers (half of them from south of the border) could have gotten the Big Dig done without going 10 billion over budget and without all the leaks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 08:09 PM

254 posts, read 522,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Premont View Post
I think our construction workers (half of them from south of the border) could have gotten the Big Dig done without going 10 billion over budget and without all the leaks.
I am guessing because they are not union they would not have had a chance. I hate Unions and thankfully I was not around this area during the Big Dig, I heard about it.

With that said I am not sure what your point is.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:13 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,301,517 times
Shoulda come to Dallas!

Old 01-23-2012, 08:50 PM

976 posts, read 1,056,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post
Why accuse him of being "unprepared and uneducated" among other things?
I'm sorry I was under the impression that the OP created a thread entitled

Just got back from my Weekend in Houston, looks like I am staying put in the North-East.............

and then went on to list what they didn't like all while NEVER EVEN VISITING THE CITY OF HOUSTON nor some of its obviously better known suburbs.

More like just got back from Cypress, or Magnolia, or wherever the OP visited........ and we all know those places ARE NOT Houston. It's like calling New Jersey Manhattan.

Last edited by H'ton; 01-23-2012 at 09:21 PM..

Old 01-23-2012, 08:52 PM

657 posts, read 2,544,979 times
Carmen "The Cheese Man" wasn't in a union. Carmen 'Cheese Man' DiNunzio indicted in Big Dig corruption sting - Local News Updates - The Boston Globe

My point is that we can take shots at the quality of your construction work up north just as you take shots at ours.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:04 PM

125 posts, read 198,392 times
Never have understood the fascination with beautiful landscapes.
Buy a painting and put it on the wall.
What does it tangibly help to have a rolling hill and a meadow of grass next to your neighborhood?
I don't care for beaches, don't care for mountains, don't care for hills...
What do they add to my life? I get to look at them while I'm driving? Does that boost my energon cube levels from 32 to 77 on my way to work?
Just never have understood it.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:07 PM

125 posts, read 198,392 times
And another thing...
Who in their right mind would ever in a million years want to live on a golf course?
This has to be the worst idea ever that actually has gained traction.
You have balls flying through your windows and into your car all day. I would love to meet the sales person that first was able to dupe someone into thinking this was a luxury lol

Old 01-23-2012, 10:17 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,123,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H'ton View Post
I'm sorry I was under the impression that the OP created a thread entitled

Just got back from my Weekend in Houston, looks like I am staying put in the North-East.............

and then went on to list what they didn't like all while NEVER EVEN VISITING THE CITY OF HOUSTON nor some of its obviously better known suburbs.

More like just got back from Cypress, or Magnolia, or wherever the OP visited........ and we all know those places ARE NOT Houston. It's like calling New Jersey Manhattan.
I think most people reading the OP's posts got it - that he prefers suburban living over city living, that he visited some of Houston's suburban MPCs and that they didn't appeal to him. I doubt people read the title and proceeded to be outraged that he wasn't actually talking about the inner loop.

What I don't get is why folks are getting their panties in a wad over what he wrote. It's not like he set out to bash Houston (although you'd think he did by some of the reaction here!) or deliberately mislead you by not specifying "Summerwood, Cypress, Fall Creek, Eagle Springs, etc..." in his title.

Cypress, Magnolia, Katy, etc...may not be Houston to those of us who live here but to people who know little about Houston - it's ALL Houston - until they get to know the area better. When we first moved here, we kept saying "we moved to Houston" when we actually had moved to The Woodlands. I guess we must have offended some people.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:22 PM

998 posts, read 1,325,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post
OP gave his honest assessment and is doing what's best for him & his family.

Houston didn't appeal to him. Nothing wrong with that.

Why accuse him of being "unprepared and uneducated" among other things?

People are way too sensitive when they think their city is being maligned - even when some of those assessments actually ARE true.
I agree. I was born in Houston but have been fortunate enough to live and visit several other cities. Alot of what the OP says about Houston is true. There are some great things about the city but you can't pretend that the OP's experience has no merit.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:27 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,123,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonlibrarian View Post
Never have understood the fascination with beautiful landscapes.
Buy a painting and put it on the wall.
What does it tangibly help to have a rolling hill and a meadow of grass next to your neighborhood?
I don't care for beaches, don't care for mountains, don't care for hills...
What do they add to my life? I get to look at them while I'm driving? Does that boost my energon cube levels from 32 to 77 on my way to work?
Just never have understood it.
I don't understand how anyone couldn't appreciate the beauty of the ocean, mountains or rolling hills. I can deal with the hot summers here but I really miss the aforementioned landscapes. Even my brother who hates California noted that the drive up to The Woodlands from downtown Houston was such a drudge & ugly comparison to when he used to visit us in Encinitas & drive into SD.

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston