Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 12:40 PM

114 posts, read 225,388 times

Advertisements

Houston is like the dollar store, you can feel rich in it but quality is low... Just kidding! You know , 77079 is expensive my parents live there and their neighbors house was being leased for 3500 a month. And their neighbors house being sold for 450k and I don't think their houses are that great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 01:12 PM

644 posts, read 1,355,392 times
I grew up in Cali, Grass Valley and Mountain View. SF is great, but I like Houston despite itself

Anyway, you definitely need to live close to where you work. In my opinion, that makes all the difference as to whether you will enjoy Houston. The city really is spread out, but if you live close to where you work, you take out the enormous stress of commuting on Houston highways. Also, find a neighborhood with great community and find friends who love Houston and are enjoying the things Houston has to offer. That way, you will jump into a great social network right away. Plus, Houston doesn't do a very good job of promoting all the things going on in the city, so if you meet someone who is really connected and aware of events you will have a much better time here

Old 12-09-2011, 03:45 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,859,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegankris View Post
Anyway, you definitely need to live close to where you work. In my opinion, that makes all the difference as to whether you will enjoy Houston.
Also, it helps to not live in Pasadena a.k.a. Stinkadena or wherever Sunderpig lives, or Greenspoint a.k.a. Gunspoint where David lives. If you live in a bad area, you will probably not like it and get a negative viewpoint of the whole city since most of us spend so much time in whatever area we live.

Old 12-09-2011, 04:33 PM

18,495 posts, read 33,003,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishlover View Post
Wow, way to be a Debbie Downer. Do you really think someone would move from San Francisco to Houston or to 75% of the country that is less scenic than Northern California without thinking the scenery would be different? And, why would you want to start at someone who is obviously engaged and enthused about their move with the notion to "lower their expectations"? Get a life.
good points. I guess with all the rain a lot of these folks are crawling out from under their bridges and filling the site with anti houston posts

Old 12-09-2011, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Also, it helps to not live in Pasadena a.k.a. Stinkadena or wherever Sunderpig lives, or Greenspoint a.k.a. Gunspoint where David lives. If you live in a bad area, you will probably not like it and get a negative viewpoint of the whole city since most of us spend so much time in whatever area we live.
ooohhhhhhh that is what these peeps are doing. They are living in cheap run down areas and extending it to the entire city.

Don't forget Tim is always talking about Alief.

OP these negative posters live in slums, don't pay them any attention

Old 12-09-2011, 05:57 PM

2,556 posts, read 4,062,880 times
Hey HTown love, don't diss me like that. I post here all the time, and offer plenty of postiive, helpful advice. Not a troll, don't live under a bridge or in a slum. I said in my above post that I'm happy living in Houston.

But I can still be honest and say it is depressing to come back here after seeing the natural beauty of northern California. Or New England. Or western Tennessee. Or... fill in the blank. I think it's not unreasonable to suggest people adjust their expectations if they want to be happy about living here.

Old 12-09-2011, 06:05 PM

644 posts, read 1,355,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
Hey HTown love, don't diss me like that. I post here all the time, and offer plenty of postiive, helpful advice. Not a troll, don't live under a bridge or in a slum. I said in my above post that I'm happy living in Houston.

But I can still be honest and say it is depressing to come back here after seeing the natural beauty of northern California. Or New England. Or western Tennessee. Or... fill in the blank. I think it's not unreasonable to suggest people adjust their expectations if they want to be happy about living here.
No disagreements about the beauty of Northern California I will say that it is easier to live in Houston than Chicago or San Francisco. JMHO.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:10 PM

Quote:

was not talking about you hun. Well... maybe a little bit

Old 12-09-2011, 08:24 PM

1,574 posts, read 2,970,165 times
I actually have not been on this thread saying anything negative. I lived in The Heights and Montrose before moving to Gunspoint. You know why I live here? I work with immigrant children who don't speak English in the area. I AM living in the area where I work to MAKE IT BETTER.

If I say things that are negative about Houston I am trying to give an unbiased opinion. I don't always make negative posts. I try to make realistic posts from somebody who has lived in various parts of the city, country, and the Americas.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:16 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,221,230 times
Quote:

I am going to take up for you here.

I love Houston - but agree that when I come in from a beautiful area of the USA - that we could try to be better in Houston. I totally applaud ex-mayor White for trying to clean up the billboard mess, etc. Too bad he could not make it happen. He tried.

I do NOT like LA - yet find it so close to Houston in appearance. The difference is the people and how great they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston