Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 06:17 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,288,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Believe what you will. That "urban island" I personally experienced in Philly this year was a walk in the park compared with the previous 26 summers in Houston.
Yeah, one year compared to 26 years makes for a valid point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 08:06 PM

7,529 posts, read 10,294,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Yeah, one year compared to 26 years makes for a valid point.
Actually, I just returned (after those 26 years in Houston) to the summers I remember. I grew up and lived in the northeast the first 27 years of my life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Please, people from East Coast endure summer heat worse than what we get in Houston; particularly in the major cities. During my stay in DC; I experienced one of the worst summers ever.
Guess you know better however, because of your "stay" here.

Last edited by Pine to Vine; 09-20-2011 at 08:24 PM..

Old 09-20-2011, 09:41 PM

275 posts, read 837,991 times
Quote:
Y Based on my thermostat, summer comprises temps in the 80s and above, meaning my Houston summers typically ran from mid-April through mid-October.
exactly!! Houston has "summer-like" weather most of the year since I think 80s+ is summer weather for people used to 4 seasons). i hate the weather, but this is one of the reasons people love moving here. i was at the store today when some ad played overhead about how the end of summer is here--i wanted to shake my fist at the air and yell "it was 90 freaking degrees today, end of summer my shoe!"

Old 09-20-2011, 11:03 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,377,941 times
Quote:
Here:

I'll leave it to you to sort through which version of your heritage is actually true.
Oh, so I did say it.

I honestly am from here, but forgot I stated such and I thought you were just making assumptions. My b

Quote:
As to the matter at hand:

No - we are having a typical September. The average September temp in Philly is 77 degrees: Average Weather for Philadelphia, PA - Temperature and Precipitation. September 6 is that last day of the month where the average high is 80 degrees or above. This pattern remains until June 11 - the first day of "summer-like" weather when the daily average in Philly again reaches 80 degrees. With the OP being from New York (75 miles away), I suspect she is used to similar weather patterns, hence her opening post.

I actually have nothing invested in disabusing you of your notion of how you feel others, such as myself, experience summer in Houston and elsewhere. I started posting in this thread as novelty. The OP seems to have moved on and so shall I. If you have a world view on this matter that works for you, by all means, hold on tightly to it.
Yeah but it's not at all that serious. Lighten up, friend.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtohouston2 View Post
exactly!! Houston has "summer-like" weather most of the year since I think 80s+ is summer weather for people used to 4 seasons). i hate the weather, but this is one of the reasons people love moving here. i was at the store today when some ad played overhead about how the end of summer is here--i wanted to shake my fist at the air and yell "it was 90 freaking degrees today, end of summer my shoe!"
I think today was the last day of the official summer season. I'm sure that's all they meant by that.

Old 09-21-2011, 06:53 PM

275 posts, read 837,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I think today was the last day of the official summer season. I'm sure that's all they meant by that.
i know! lol. but the official start/end of summer doesn't mean much in houston. the rest of the week's forecast is in the 90s.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:02 PM

5,998 posts, read 3,746,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonRonnie View Post
There are two seasons in Houston: Football season and spring football season.

Honestly, Nov and December can be rainy and cold but not the cold you are thinking. 30's - 50's are the range. The rest of the year is summer, hot, hot and more hot, with two weeks of fall in mid October and one week of spring in April.

Ronnie
This statement is simply not true and gives the wrong impression. Under normal conditions (which we have not had for the last year and a half due to a strong La Nina) the weather is of course hot from about mid May and progresses upward through the first couple of weeks of September. At that time cool fronts start coming down and the weather gets really nice. My friends from L.A. call it "California weather". This lasts until about November when the temps start to dip down anywhere from the 40s to the high 30s. January and February are usually the coldest months with temps occasionally getting down in the 20s. Certainly not NY cold but it's definitely not "hot hot hot" all year round. That's just ridiculous.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:48 PM

563 posts, read 912,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
This statement is simply not true and gives the wrong impression. Under normal conditions (which we have not had for the last year and a half due to a strong La Nina) the weather is of course hot from about mid May and progresses upward through the first couple of weeks of September. At that time cool fronts start coming down and the weather gets really nice. My friends from L.A. call it "California weather". This lasts until about November when the temps start to dip down anywhere from the 40s to the high 30s. January and February are usually the coldest months with temps occasionally getting down in the 20s. Certainly not NY cold but it's definitely not "hot hot hot" all year round. That's just ridiculous.
"California weather," huh? I guess looking at average temperatures for the areas you have mentioned didn't seem that important to you before posting. Our September and May are hotter than any month California has.

I also want to give you a lesson on some Texan vocabulary...

Lesson 1: What is a Texan oxymoron?

Answer: "My friends from L.A."

Last edited by MobileDave; 09-21-2011 at 07:59 PM..

Old 09-22-2011, 04:33 AM

5,998 posts, read 3,746,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileDave View Post
"California weather," huh? I guess looking at average temperatures for the areas you have mentioned didn't seem that important to you before posting. Our September and May are hotter than any month California has.

I also want to give you a lesson on some Texan vocabulary...

Lesson 1: What is a Texan oxymoron?

Answer: "My friends from L.A."
What is your point bro? And yes they do call the weather from late September through October "California weather". I've heard the expression many times. It is based on the opinion of people I know from there, not "average temperatures for the areas". Believe it or not people can have opinions without having to post a bunch of links everywhere so people like you will be satisfied. Lighten up.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
What is your point bro? And yes they do call the weather from late September through October "California weather". I've heard the expression many times. It is based on the opinion of people I know from there, not "average temperatures for the areas". Believe it or not people can have opinions without having to post a bunch of links everywhere so people like you will be satisfied. Lighten up.
I've also heard our milder days referred to as California weather. Ahzzie's not lying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston