Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 08:10 PM

Location: The bustling, world-renowned downtown of Pataskala, OH
188 posts, read 198,171 times

Advertisements

Wat up Houstonians? I am moving down to your parts at the beginning of next year.I figured to introduce myself here by asking something different instead of the usual ''where is a good place with good schools and good people and good food and within 5mins. of everything in a metro area the size of new jersey for $700/month''.So...what are some odd laws, rules, regulations, customs, etc. native to houston( or texas in general) that an ignorant yankee such as myself would be oblivious to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 08:22 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,218,928 times
LOL - thank you.

We say "ya'll" a lot. Just do it to blend in. It stands for "you all" - and can mean singular or plural. Actually that is not true, plural is "all ya'll".

We evidently drive agressively. I am so used to it and don't really think it's aggressive - but I hear it all the time, so I guess we do. Never use your blinkers - don't let the drivers behind you know what you are up to. You will save yourself so much grief. You use your turn signal - and people will kill to cut you off.

Here is one of the most difficult: people who definately do NOT like you will still be nice. This is confusing to people from the NE - and my friends from there tell me it is the hardest with which to adjust. Here is how you can tell if they really like you - they will volunteer to do you favors.

Old 09-08-2011, 09:00 PM

Heh-heh, ya'll(hey I think I'm getting the hang of it!) are courteous aholes, just my type of people.

Old 09-09-2011, 01:07 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,298,139 times
You can turn right on red.

Every freeway has another name other than the number which will be used in the morning traffic report. for instance 610 is the Loop so they may say "their is an accident at the West Loop South" Or" overturned 18 wheeler at Eastex South(59N)at the Belt (Sam Houston Toll)."

And in reguards to the above post...Its Southern Hospitality !

when you really think someone is clueless you say "Bless your heart"

fixin means your about to go somewhere...I'm fixin to go to the store

Someone told me saying "tump" isnt used up North. As in " Watch out its about to tump over" you will have to let me know about that.

Good luck and bless your heart!

Old 09-09-2011, 01:26 PM

24,035 posts, read 15,144,070 times
If you come home from work and find a robber in your house and it is daylight, do not shoot him. If it is dark outside it is OK to shoot. If you shoot the daylight, don't call the sheriff until after dark.

Old 09-09-2011, 01:30 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,059,925 times
its a feeder road - ... i can't even remember what it is called elsewhere... ACCESS ROAD. you know the big roads that follow highways, they are called feeders here. they can often be as big and busy as a highway as well

i don't hear "ya'll" often but i occasionally will find myself blurting it out. every once in awhile i now slip into a southern accent. if you have been here long enough - it'll get you

we do drive aggressively. i still say we drive well. i always use my blinkers etc but if you are driving slow i will automatically stereotype you as either not being from Houston or being an "outsider." if you notice someone tailgating you and looking angry, get out of *their* lane. thanks! know where you are going and if you miss your exit just miss it. don't block us from where we got to go for your mistake

it will be 105 degrees and you will see people running at high noon. hey we are just being us.

we can complain about the weather and the city but you are not allowed to do so until you get some time here under your belt. many of us will defend the city/state with all we've got.

people here are pretty nice and definitely laid back. you still have to watch how you come across and what you say. i kind of disagree with another poster. if we don't like you, you will definitely know, but we'll be nice about it

edit: crone! thats a good one. the castle laws. you can murder someone in your home but its gotta be dark. not had to use that myself but you will find people here waiting eagerly for the chance. guns are popular here but really not like the stereotype

basically moving to houston forget about all the stereotypes you've heard about southerners and texans and you'll do well

Old 09-09-2011, 01:34 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,522,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
. if we don't like you will definitely know, but we'll be nice about it

Yes, because if you can't say something nice, you don't say anything at all..thus the notorious silent treatment.

And if someone says they "know" (long o) someone, that means they're a low down snake.

Old 09-09-2011, 04:34 PM

Location: Where nothing ever grows. No rain or rivers flow, Texas
1,085 posts, read 1,583,750 times
"laid back".. thats a warning

Old 09-09-2011, 04:54 PM

Wth does ''tump'' mean? I'm 110% sure I've never heard that word before. Thanks for clearing up the feeder road thing, I was somewhat sure that's what they were, but that was irking me. The castle laws fascinate the dormant nerd in me. What constitutes dark? Total, sunset? Is there any official reasoning behind these laws? Good info gals and guys!BTW, Columbus,Ohio (where I'm from)has a YEARLY avg. HIGH temp. of 59, whereas you guys have a YEARLY low temp of 60.

Old 09-09-2011, 05:46 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,218,928 times
"Tump" over - means fell over.

Example"
"I drank so many beers that I'm fixin to tump over, ya'll."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston