Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 03:08 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,133,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaddtiger View Post
... and my total montly payment (PITI) is still less than what i paid in MD,
hi there. did you take a pay cut? does it still look cheaper when you factor in fuel/car expenses and other new-texas-house maintenance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2007, 03:32 PM

19 posts, read 143,474 times
Default Yes, a slight pay cut....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
hi there. did you take a pay cut? does it still look cheaper when you factor in fuel/car expenses and other new-texas-house maintenance?
About $5K to be exact, however, I'm still coming out better here in Texas. Groceries, gas, health insurance, etc are cheaper for me here. Actually, my car insurance went down as well. My overall quality of life has improved greatly since making the move. I have more spending money and am able to live above the status that I was able to do in Maryland. The downside is that I have a very large family that I'm really close with - but they all are back in DC. They've been visiting a lot since you can get a rountrip tickets to/from Houston to DC for under $200 with proper planning.

Old 08-22-2007, 09:10 AM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,133,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaddtiger View Post
About $5K to be exact, however, I'm still coming out better here in Texas. Groceries, gas, health insurance, etc are cheaper for me here. Actually, my car insurance went down as well. My overall quality of life has improved greatly since making the move. I have more spending money and am able to live above the status that I was able to do in Maryland. The downside is that I have a very large family that I'm really close with - but they all are back in DC. They've been visiting a lot since you can get a rountrip tickets to/from Houston to DC for under $200 with proper planning.
yep lots of plus and minuses about houston but we can definitely condition ourselves to think this is 'better'. just try to ignore all the things and people you'd rather surround yourself with
i'm spending more in houston. well thats mostly because the house is my new 'hobby' (and master)

Old 08-22-2007, 06:34 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,588,025 times
Honestly, it definitely is a bit more inexpensive to live here than other areas such as MD/DC/Miami even if the property taxes and electricity is more expensive.

Old 08-28-2007, 12:08 PM

90 posts, read 363,014 times
It is really hot in the summer (I've had to run my windshield wipers for the humidity), just stick to water sports and indoor activities! But the winter is AMAZING! I guess you take the good with the bad.

Old 08-28-2007, 12:52 PM

8,959 posts, read 11,835,082 times
You have like two seasons there, warm winter and hot the rest of the year?

Old 08-28-2007, 01:07 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,631,514 times
I went out at about 10:30am this morning and it actually felt cool to me. Yes, cool.

It's warmed up, but still not a bad day for being the end of August.

Old 08-28-2007, 02:08 PM

88 posts, read 301,627 times
True year-round golf (lots of drinkin' in the summer months!) and swimming in pools and the Gulf comfortably (e.g. no wetsuits) 9-10 months out of the year in a lush tropical environment is fantastic. Couple that with the people, the food, and a friendly open mind and you're set. If the heat and humidity is supernaturally/sub-consciously responsible for helping people develop Houston (as it is now and for a better future), as well as their psyche, then I wouldn't want that to change (even though I'll admit it would be nice if it were cooler at times). The heat and humidity is as much a part of Houston's character as it is in New Orleans and Florida. You hardly hear this topic as much when talking about New Orleans or Florida (well, maybe a little when talking about Florida). Ignorance of a location different from other places and bad PR on many different fronts for a better part of a century doesn't help much, but time's a changing! Cheers to Houston!

Old 08-28-2007, 06:21 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,705,978 times
Yes, it really is that hot. It's Texas. You've got wide open spaces and blue skies for days. With that comes intense heat. The kind that'll knock you out if you don't take the proper precautions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
yep lots of plus and minuses about houston but we can definitely condition ourselves to think this is 'better'. just try to ignore all the things and people you'd rather surround yourself with
i'm spending more in houston. well thats mostly because the house is my new 'hobby' (and master)
You need to get out (of Alief) more.

Old 08-28-2007, 07:39 PM

90 posts, read 363,014 times
The winters cool off, I wouldn't necessarily call them warm, just short. There are cold days. But there are a lot of days you don't need a coat, a long sleeve shirt will do. (We had a very mild summer this summer, though, VERY pleasant!) When I first moved here the weather was something to get used to, but really, I love Houston, the people, and the variety of things there are to do here. There is always some festival going on, great places to eat, etc. And as for where to live, everyone takes the bus to work downtown from the Park & Ride's anyway, so it really doesn't matter where you live--choose safe over close!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston