Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 09:27 AM

6 posts, read 19,391 times

Advertisements

I am 95% decided to move to Texas with family except that the heat factor is bothering me. Maybe because some people have scared the crap out of me...

I hear things like, "Its soo humid that you have to run your windshield wipers."
or "Its disgustingly humid and finally " and finally, "Its so humid that walking from your home to your car is like going through a light rain"

my wife has refused to relocate simply for this factor....[there's still hope]
Is it really that hot in Houston?

Also, I'm going there this Thursday for a 3 day visit to check out the NW areas of Spring [TC Jester & Spears]...any thoughts on what questions to ask and what to look for?

Thanks much...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2007, 09:43 AM

268 posts, read 1,491,022 times
I moved to Houston for my husband's job too so I can relate to your wife. Are you within an hour of a beach now? I really like Galveston beach.

Today, the temp. is 97 in Houston with a heat index of 105 in the shade and it will feel 15 degrees hotter in direct sun - so yes it's hot. That said, I've lived here for a year and I think you can adjust to the heat. We go to the pool in the morning before 10:00 and again in the evening when it's cooler. We avoid the zoo/staying out all day in the middle of the summer, run air conditioning in the house, use sun screens on the car and over my son's car seat.

Where are you moving from? I've lived in the northeast and had days of frigid temps where you don't go out except for work and school and essentials. I've lived in FL too for 3 years and SC for 1 year and Houston isn't any hotter.

Good luck with your visit and welcome to Houston.

Old 08-07-2007, 10:36 AM

88 posts, read 301,586 times
Outdoor pool swimming nearly year-round. Very nice. Dubbed the "Air-Conditioning Capital of the World" back in the freaking '60s for crying out loud! Also very nice. Deet for mosquitos. Very nice if they bother you. Modern technology and this climate make it worth living down here nowadays. This is not the '30s anymore, when living here was truly harsh. This place is a piece of cake now. Ice scraping and snow shoveling will give you a heart-attack before the heat down here will, just drink water. Come my friends! It's worth it if you have an open mind to what we have to offer!
Check these places out: Hot Town, Cool City | Locations Cheers!

Old 08-07-2007, 10:52 AM

88 posts, read 301,586 times
Spears and T.C. Jester, as far as I know, is not pleasant anymore. Try north northwest of FM 1960. Much nicer and not quite as 'urban'. What are you looking for? Where will you be working? People on here can help you out!

Old 08-07-2007, 12:31 PM

Thanks much everyone..really appreciate the feedback..

I'll be working somewhere downtown [in one of the big IT companies].
Job is not a problem as I have recruiters knocking everyday.

but I have three kids under 4! so definitly would have to settle in the suburbs [and so i picked Spring. my wife is scared of tornados/huricanes/floods so had to go away from the beach as far as possible]. I live in MD now and commute to my job is about 1 hour. So an hour of commute to downtown wouldn't hurt, I can take that...

keep the feedback coming...I already see Houston has nice people
you have no idea what your few words mean to us in making this huge decisioin..so thanks much...

Old 08-07-2007, 12:51 PM

799 posts, read 3,700,218 times
I agree with historian about spears area. Try further north. I live in Spring/ hwy 249 Louetta area. It is very nice here. I would suggest staying north of f.m. 1960. Theres all kinds of nice neighborhoods. I have 3 kids myself and they have all gone to Klein ISD. Let me know if you need additional info as I have lived in this part of Spring for over 10 years.

Old 08-07-2007, 12:53 PM

799 posts, read 3,700,218 times
It really is asd hot as they say LOL! Thats what neighborhood pools are for..or your own pool if you don't mind the upkeep. Get a nice glass of ice tea and relax....

Old 08-07-2007, 01:06 PM

whats the problem with spears area? I was hoping to be as close to downtown as possible while also being able to settle in the burbs...

I'll be getting something in the 150k to 180k range. [4beds/pool/2car garage].
so far, I do like the north and northwest over other areas I have looked into..

Old 08-07-2007, 01:46 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,564,165 times
We moved here in October for my husband's job (located downtown) and so far, the weather has not been bad. It has just started getting hot this week, but we were still able to go outside for a while and my face didn't melt off, so that's good. Our community is about to open its second pool and we absolutely love the area we chose. I think liking where you live makes a big difference. There are lots of young kids where we are and palygroups every week in people's homes, so the kids are able to play and not suffer in the heat or rain. The really great plus for my husband is that we are just 15 miles from downtown so getting to work is about a 30 minute commute in traffic. If you are interested, PM me and I can give you more info on Fall Creek, the closest Master Planned community to downtown. Or check out FallCreekHouston.com. We have a two and four yo.

Anyway, I was also scared of the heat before moving here, but I have been pleasantly surprised at how much I like it...heat and all. ~K~

Old 08-07-2007, 01:49 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,626,437 times
*goes outside*

Yes.

Your margarita on New Year's Eve in shorts and flipflops is the reward...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston