Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 09:17 AM

7 posts, read 23,472 times

Advertisements

Hey folks - looking for a bit of advice here. In a month or so I will be traveling to Houston from St. Louis to meet a guy I've been talking to online for about 6-7 months. We're both really stoked and I've been putting alot of effort into being able to finally spend some quality time with him. I'll be staying April 17-23, and I was just wondering what the locals thought would be some fun things to do for a couple love-struck 20 y/o guys? I'll be staying in the Katy area but I will be driving my own vehicle, so provided a destination isn't TOO far or TOO difficult to get to, I'm down =) Thanks! -John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 06:36 PM

415 posts, read 449,513 times
You can go to the Houston Zoo, the Galleria Mall, Katy Mills Mall. At night, you can go clubbing. Not many things to do close to Katy.

Good Luck

Old 03-23-2011, 10:27 PM

209 posts, read 524,013 times
Well if you are gay (which i am assuming you are, because of the inclusion of "love struck guys". ) Id make my way down to the Galleria, and Houston Heights and Montrose areas to get the inside on the hot "gay" areas......if that is your thing.

if you prefer whatever everyone else does.

Shopping- Galleria, Rice Village, and The Woodlands.
Market Street in The Woodlands is a lot of fun for those that like good dining and shopping. Have the waterway boat ride and what not. (never taken my wife here, but i am told its "romantic". )

Clubs, Bars, etc.- Washington Ave., Main Street, and Uptown.

- Washington Ave.

(recommended if you are young.....very crowded though, and STRICT dress codes in most bars...no slobs)

Parks- The Buffalo Bayou Parks (a system of parks)- Great urban feel, and beautiful views of the Bayou. Start at the theater district just behind Wortham theater is the entrance to the walkway to the Bayou Parks, anything before that going east gets a little scary for vistors as their massive amounts of homeless that live under the bridges near allens landing.
Hermann Park- Is a great urban park, contains the zoo, Japanese Gardens, art, walkways, a reflection fool, and a outdoor theater that often is home to free performances of Ballet, Shakespeare, etc. (check scheduling for that)

Buffalo Bayou Park-
(long park, so a lot to explore...map out before...its something like 7 miles long....meets memorial park...one of the largest Urban parks in the US)

Hermann Park- (its 400+ acres...so alot more to discover then a picture could show

Day trips:

Galveston Island- Great for a day of fun under the sun, you can walk the beach (though not advisable during this part of the year, as Jelly fish are beginning to wash ashore as the waters get warmer). Go down to seawall and do some dinning and shopping...lots of southern flavor through-out Galveston, but you get the New Orleans vibe as you move towards The Strand and Post Office street....Id get a hotel if you want to do some bar hoping though...Galveston also has the largest collection of Victorian architecture in the US....lot of fun if you know what you are wanting to do there.

Drive: about 30-60 minutes depending on where you are coming from (Katy to Galveston....and hour )

Brenham- Blue Bonnet fields, and Blue Bell Factory....not for everyone...usually a family of 4 type trip

for the more the longer day drive during the summer....San Marcos, Texas- to float the River (Free river access at lions club). Water is spring fed, and is always at a constant 72 degrees....feels great. about a 3hr drive.

Museums- Museum District will handle your craving for anything of the arts or history.....all located in close proximity.

other great places scattered all over Houston...

Old 03-23-2011, 10:38 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,790,565 times
Go to a shooting range if after a weekend you no longer can stand each other

Old 03-23-2011, 11:21 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,769,052 times
Nice pictures.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:20 AM

415 posts, read 449,513 times
Wow very comprehensive post hum398! Makes me look bad now LOL

Old 03-25-2011, 02:59 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,674,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demethostes View Post
Hey folks - looking for a bit of advice here. In a month or so I will be traveling to Houston from St. Louis to meet a guy I've been talking to online for about 6-7 months. We're both really stoked and I've been putting alot of effort into being able to finally spend some quality time with him. I'll be staying April 17-23, and I was just wondering what the locals thought would be some fun things to do for a couple love-struck 20 y/o guys? I'll be staying in the Katy area but I will be driving my own vehicle, so provided a destination isn't TOO far or TOO difficult to get to, I'm down =) Thanks! -John
Who says you can't find love on Craigslist?

Old 03-25-2011, 07:31 PM

7 posts, read 23,472 times
HUM, that was amazing and incredibly helpful.... I went from having not enough ideas to too many! The pictures were especially great, I owe you lunch sometime and rb4, why shouldn't you be able to find love on Craigslist? Is that somehow less dignified than the thousands of marriages that formed from a one-time bar romp? In my case, I hadn't met this guy through Craigslist (I dont use it), but rather a social online game we mutually played. After a few months of playing a cooperative game together, spending hours a day on headsets... you start to notice compatibility. Who cares how people find happiness? =)

Old 03-26-2011, 12:59 PM

2 posts, read 8,397 times
Default re

hope this post is not yet too late! so many fun things you can do at Houston! Of course, top sites would be bars, parks, mountain sites, etc. for more guidance here, ihad-houstondotorg. This will help you alot! Yeah, love will always be nearby, just have to open your eyes! maybe, she's just standing right next to you!

Old 03-27-2011, 09:07 AM

847 posts, read 1,751,327 times
"mountain sites" ? ? ? ? where in Houston is there any "mountains" ? ? ? ? ?

too bad you're coming here a week early,,,, the International Festival is the following weekend, april 30/may 1 and may 7 and 8 weekends...

you can go to Museum District since you'll have a car....

museum of fine arts MFAH | The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston

museum of natural science Houston Museum of Natural Science

contemporary arts museum Contemporary Arts Museum Houston (http://www.camh.org/index.html - broken link)

CATS the musical is still playing on April 17..it's the last day though i think...Cats | The Hobby Center
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston