Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 07:08 AM

371 posts, read 2,030,738 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know how or even if you can put radiant floor heating on an existing floor and then build onto that??? We are trying to find an alternative to heating our home. We have electric baseboard heat right now. It stinks as far as the expense. We have a pellet stove, but that doesn't reach the bedrooms. Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2008, 09:07 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,266,102 times
Yes, it can be done. The added depth of the flooring may mean you have to cut down the doors. There are numerous articles on the web for how to do this. It can be involved and has to be planned out. There are also ways to put it in under the floor if you have access.

Old 03-31-2008, 11:18 AM

622 posts, read 3,113,685 times
^^^Yep, I have it under my floor. Mine is held up by aluminum plates that radiate the heat to a broader area. It's stapled up with these plates to hold up the radiant tubes under the plywood. You do need to note proper installing procedures though, because you need enough insulation underneat the tubes so the heat can radiate up and not down to the floor below.

Old 03-31-2008, 12:15 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,857,385 times
You can put radiant floor heating under the existing floor in most houses. It will nto save you money. Radient floor heating is so expensive that the little biut you will save on heating bills will never eat up the cost of installation.

Old 03-31-2008, 02:02 PM

371 posts, read 2,030,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
You can put radiant floor heating under the existing floor in most houses. It will nto save you money. Radient floor heating is so expensive that the little biut you will save on heating bills will never eat up the cost of installation.
It is that expensive to install?? I really thought it would be more effective in heating our home then our baseboard. We have an adobe "style," slab foundation with passive solar enhancements. We may go more solar or even wind power because we live in New Mexico and due to the weather conditions I would think that would be cost effective, but we are interested in warm floors. Our floors are brick, saltillo tiles, and laminate flooring - all on a slab foundation. We don't have basements in New Mexico and therefore, no way to install the radiant floors without either tearing up the existing flooring or maybe over the existing flooring. I am so grateful for ALL the responses and its good to hear that we can do it over the existing flooring. Thanks again.

Old 03-31-2008, 02:15 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,266,102 times
Sounds like an installation over the existing floor is your only option since it wasn't done as part of the 'crete pour. I don't think think these things come cheap.

Old 03-31-2008, 10:06 PM

Radiant floor heating is very popular so they have jacked up the price for the materials. We got a quote for our house of $50,000. Radiated heat (using antique radiators) was $14,000 forced air would have been $8000 - $12,000

Old 04-10-2008, 01:18 PM

2 posts, read 7,855 times
Default Radiant floor heating

Hello Homewardbound66

1. Radiant floor heating are not that expensive, it is all depend where you buy it from.

2. The radiant floor heating not meant to heat your room, in some cases it will warm the room, but mostly it meant to warm the flooring.

3. Installation should not be much more then your tile installation especially if you using the mat, the only charge I could think of will be connecting the thermostat and run it to a dedicated circuit

Good luck
tiledepot

Old 04-10-2008, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TileDepot View Post
Hello Homewardbound66

1. Radiant floor heating are not that expensive, it is all depend where you buy it from.

2. The radiant floor heating not meant to heat your room, in some cases it will warm the room, but mostly it meant to warm the flooring.

3. Installation should not be much more then your tile installation especially if you using the mat, the only charge I could think of will be connecting the thermostat and run it to a dedicated circuit

Good luck
tiledepot
I tihnk that they are referring to a hydronic system that you use to heat your home, not the little electric mat that is often used to warm tile floors in bathrooms.

Old 04-10-2008, 02:49 PM

2 posts, read 7,855 times
Oops

some one save me and delete it

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House