Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2017, 06:34 AM

31 posts, read 31,855 times

Advertisements

For selling or showing a house, is it okay to stage the house practically for certain rooms or just do it for its intended purpose? For example, this particular family house of ours has a living room in the front (in addition to the family room already) and a morning room. Hardly anybody uses a living room anymore and usually converts it to an office? The morning room also has a sofa in it but how many places do we need to sit. Maybe show that as a Yoga room?

What are some other purposes people use these extra rooms in the house? Music room if you are into piano, instruments, etc? Crafts/hobby room? Game room?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2017, 12:27 PM

5,604 posts, read 6,531,686 times
What does your RE agent advise? I myself think you should have an office space, perhaps 2 if your house is large enough. Perhaps one set up for children/teens and the other for a parent? Or an office for 2 adults? It sounds like you have a large home. A media room? A "man cave"? Or make one "Her Cave"/Mom's Cave"? A "media room"?

You can also go to home sites, maybe HGTV's site, and do a search for "Homes with many rooms" or similar working/keywords.

Good luck in the whole selling process!

Old 10-28-2017, 12:43 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,598,338 times
We turned a much smaller room into a private dressing/changing room that has a adjoined Jack/Jill bathroom.
Attached Thumbnails
Other rooms in the house that are useful and/or trendy-untitled.jpg  

Old 10-29-2017, 08:09 PM

316 posts, read 305,270 times
We have lived in a number of homes over the years and often turn the formal dining room into a library (think bookshelves lining one entire wall, with some comfortable reading chairs). An extra bedroom will often serve as my husband's study/office.

Personally, I would love our next house to have a dedicated workout room.

Good luck with selling your home.

Old 10-30-2017, 09:08 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,512,973 times
Eh, I don't know if I would go through all that trouble. Let the prospective buyers use their imaginations. We have a family room, a formal living room, a formal dining room and decorate each as they were intended. Honestly, in terms of aesthetics, especially since we have a traditional house, I love the look of a well appointed dining room (china closet and table with chairs) and stately den (aka formal living room).

Exercise rooms are here and there....I work out regularly, but I require more than a lone treadmill and a few free weights. Just have the spaces simply furnished so that a buyer can picture what they'd like to do with the extra space.

Believe it or not, I like formal living rooms because I don't want to invite random people into the space that's reserved for family relaxation.

Old 10-31-2017, 05:38 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,662 posts, read 81,403,499 times
Depending on where you are, it may not make any difference. Friends just put their home on the market Friday at $800k and it sold over the weekend with 6 offers. Here the new homes are including a spice room, which is a must for many of the immigrants coming here for tech jobs. Your realtor should be helpful in what is popular with local buyers.

Old 10-31-2017, 07:58 AM

4,385 posts, read 4,407,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflygirlmomof2 View Post
We have lived in a number of homes over the years and often turn the formal dining room into a library (think bookshelves lining one entire wall, with some comfortable reading chairs). An extra bedroom will often serve as my husband's study/office.

Personally, I would love our next house to have a dedicated workout room.

Good luck with selling your home.
We did the same thing (called it our 'reading room'). 2 really comfy chairs with table and lamp for each chair and a cabinet full of books.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House