Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 06:21 PM

1,212 posts, read 4,915,009 times

Advertisements

The builder is quoting $3700 for sprinklers and sod... I thought like the appliances that the builder was high so I decided to not go with them... but looking here, maybe I made a mistake?

Did you have builder install sprinklers and sod? If not how much did it cost.

If I decided against builder... how hard is it to install own sod? I would of course pay professional for sprinklers.

I live in Michigan. Can't use seed here... it is against HOA rules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2008, 07:08 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,378,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcam213 View Post
The builder is quoting $3700 for sprinklers and sod... I thought like the appliances that the builder was high so I decided to not go with them... but looking here, maybe I made a mistake?

If I decided against builder... how hard is it to install own sod? I would of course pay professional for sprinklers.

Make sure you have enough water pressure to run a sprinkler system.
If you have city water you will be fine. The houses were I drill that are going to have sprinklers, we use a constant pressure system. They are great!

Old 02-24-2008, 07:24 PM

1,212 posts, read 4,915,009 times
I am pretty sure that there is enough water pressure because the builder offers sod and sprinklers as an option.
I think we have city water there.

how much for a sprinkler system? The lot is 75 x 120. The house is 2384 square feet with attached 2 car garage.

Old 02-24-2008, 08:32 PM

Quote:
I am pretty sure that there is enough water pressure because the builder offers sod and sprinklers as an option.
I think we have city water there.

how much for a sprinkler system? The lot is 75 x 120. The house is 2384 square feet with attached 2 car garage.
Your sprinkler system will state how many gallons per minute to run it. Fifteen sounds about right, but without a constant pressure system it would make a difference in the house. I have seen builders make a mess out of the water system because they hired drillers that were "K-Mart", not "Prada".

Old 02-25-2008, 11:06 AM

17,481 posts, read 66,152,846 times
Quote:

Pricing of an irrigation system is different across the country- you may want to post your question(s) in your local forum. But I can tell you this- your system would be more $$ than the same system here in the south because your system requires stem valves (or the like) for evacuating the system in the winter. And possibly an initial deeper install depth. That's not a requirement here- frost line is 6".
Installing sod is nothing more than back breaking physical labor. It's the prep work needed for the site that can kill you.
Overall, I'd say you were quoted a very reasonable price.

Old 02-25-2008, 11:22 AM

459 posts, read 2,230,026 times
A good quality irrigation system install on a lot of your size would run about $2500 +/- if you are on city water. More $$$ if you are on a well.

Old 02-25-2008, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe1 View Post
A good quality irrigation system install on a lot of your size would run about $2500 +/- if you are on city water. More $$$ if you are on a well.
City water prices are very different place to place. How can you KNOW running a well would cost more? In the summer I fill a 3500 gallon water truck twice a day on most days, always once. I do lots of laundry. In the summer my bill for the complete house is $38-$42. The old style pumps will use more electricity than the submersible type.

Old 02-25-2008, 12:59 PM

The Grundfos SQE System - Precision Pump Inc (http://www.precisionpump.net/grundfos.html - broken link)

This is what you need to run household or irrigation systems.

Old 02-25-2008, 02:00 PM

459 posts, read 2,230,026 times
I believe the poster is interested in the install cost, not the cost to operate.

Installs on wells systems are always more - more componenets, more labor in system design, less competition in bidding (fewer installers are qualified to do an install on a well-system).

Old 02-25-2008, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe1 View Post
I believe the poster is interested in the install cost, not the cost to operate.

Installs on wells systems are always more - more componenets, more labor in system design, less competition in bidding (fewer installers are qualified to do an install on a well-system).
Always?? No, it would depends on how deep the wells are in the area, screened or not, and how far the property is from the road, or waterline. I have drilled many wells were city water is available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House