Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2013, 09:23 AM

41 posts, read 87,289 times

Advertisements

I need an opinion regarding house alarm. My house undergoes extensive repair right now and the whole main level is gutted – walls opened. We used to have old wired alarm – this will need to be ripped out due to extensive damage. We are facing dilemma whether we should re install newer version of wired alarm (having to go into 5 year contract if installed) or go with wireless. (I am not questioning the way system communicates to central station). What is your experience on this, especially owners of newer homes? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 09:39 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,282,203 times
Wireless sensors need batteries and those can be quite expensive (like $12 each!)

Also many wireless products are having problems communicating these days due to all the other wireless gizmos out there. I had problems with a wireless thermometer and a wireless TV remote extender for example. Some people have trouble with their car wireless keys in certain areas.

Bottom line: Wired is most reliable and you don't have to buy batteries. Also you DON'T have to sign a 5 year contract to install a wired alarm system. Simply buy the equipment and pay someone to install it. (Like an off duty alarm installer.)

You can get monitoring here for under $10 a month...
Alarm Monitoring Services Only $8.95 per Month from Alarm Relay

Old 09-15-2013, 11:40 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,639,612 times
If the walls are open definitely get wired. and as Billy J said, don't get a five year contract. Super easy to install and parts are cheap. any handyman or electrician can do the install. Even you.!
The long tern contract is way too expensive. They usually charge at least $30 a month to monitor, and that price will go up every year. If you want it monitored you can do a google search and get monthly monitoring for under $10 a month. Monthly monitoring is a racket, way over priced by the big companies. That is why they want a long term contract. Getting out of one of those contracts is VERY difficult, even when the five years is up. They want you forever, and know all the tricks to keep you. You have to follow a very specific procedure to cancel you contract when it is up, and if you miss one little detail, you're stuck for another term. Read the small print, they are experts at deception. Stay away from them if you can.
I just noticed Billy J posted a link for cheap monitoring. Take his advice... There are alos online companies who can suppy you all the parts very cheap. I had to buy wire and sensors when I changed doors and it's easy ans cheap.
One example; AlarmContacts.com - The Source for Do-It-Yourself Alarm Parts & Accessories

Old 09-15-2013, 12:09 PM

415 posts, read 764,244 times
I installed my own wireless alarm system, Made by Honeywell it's the same one ADT installs.. It consist of 3 door breaks and a motion detector on the main level, It also comes with key fobs like you have for your cars, I also went with 2 sirens because my house is 3 levels and wanted it to be heard threw out, I set it with zero delay, someone pops a door it goes off, the battery's should last 4 to 5 years from what i was told . So far it works flawless...

Now as far as wireless security cameras, I went with power over cat' wired, my research on wireless cameras showed way to many negatives with camera signal break up, the camera system Im using is By Samsung and it works pretty decent....

Old 09-15-2013, 01:22 PM

17,473 posts, read 66,010,995 times
If the walls are open...

it's really a no-brainer!

Old 09-16-2013, 03:19 AM

41 posts, read 87,289 times
Thank you, all! Wired it is!

Old 09-17-2013, 07:53 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,901,088 times
Look into simplisafe. They use 5 year batteries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House