Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 05:04 PM

97 posts, read 432,677 times

Advertisements

So the journey continues. In this episode of This old House we have a newly exposed wall after the relocation of a furnace. Sadly the wall is seriously cracked and falling apart where the furnace was. It is plaster as a lot of the house is and certainly slathered with a nice coat of lead based paint as the house is a 1951 model. I am guessing this is not a DYI project?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 05:19 PM

5,509 posts, read 9,487,651 times
I wouldn't worry about it. My house was built in 1902, so it had almost 50 more years' worth of lead paint, on the plaster walls, and that didn't stop me from removing some of the plaster. Just clean up thoroughly afterwards, to get rid of any paint chips.

Old 07-31-2013, 05:31 PM

22,566 posts, read 47,624,621 times
Unless you are ingesting the lead paint, there is little to be concerned about.

Old 07-31-2013, 05:36 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,287,540 times
Let's hope no pregnant women, or small children are about. This would be an abatement project if the lead levels are high enough.

Old 07-31-2013, 05:52 PM

892 posts, read 1,592,380 times
You may also want to send a piece out for asbestos testing. Its not unknown for 1950s plaster to contain it. Not an issue in a 1900s house.

Old 08-03-2013, 11:49 AM

3,091 posts, read 3,965,982 times
You might want to consider sealing/curtaining off the area where you are working, a room at a time, with plastic so you can contain any lead dust that is toxic and clean the area before moving to another area. A zip wall is awesome, but you don't absolutely have to have that. Here's a link to the EPA regarding lead based paint that will give you a little more helpful information.

Lead | US EPA

PS - Please invest in a quality respirator and those goofy white paper suits when doing the work.

Last edited by carolac; 08-03-2013 at 12:11 PM..

Old 08-05-2013, 08:24 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,772,406 times
(eyeroll). It will take decades to undo the misinformation and absurd panic the media hype has caused in relation to lead paint and asbestos. Lead paint in a house can actually be a real threat in certain conditions (i.e. a baby east it, or sucks on something painted with lead paint). Asbestos in household levels is not a threat, but do the research and make your own conclusions, just watch out for articles or studies done or funded by abatement companies, people who want to sell stories, test kits or just generally over hype things for dramatic appeal. I bought into the panic once. Then I decided I needed to find how much threat there really is. My conclusions are this is just another hyped scare promulgated by lawyers, media, and companies looking to make money.

When I remove things like that I wear a breathing mask and goggles. Vacuum up the dist. Toss my clothing in the washer and take a shower afterwards.

If you do some research you will find the asbestos hype is not an issue in that quantity and just ignore it.

Lead is an issue for pregnant women and babies who ingest (eat it or breathe in dust with high lead content). Everyone had some lead in them. It is part of our wold and we eat it with vegetables, drink it in water, etc.The amount you are dealing with is tiny. 99% or more of the lead is stuck to the plaster and will be removed with the plaster. Do not sand the paint or heat gun it off and there should be no significant quantity of lead paint going anywhere except into the trash. You are hauling virtually all of it away. When you break up the plaster, do nto pick up pieces and give them to a baby to suck on.

Those white paper suits are for painting. You do not ingest lead or asbestos by getting on your clothing or skin. Just take a shower and wash your clothes.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:54 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,788,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetvelocity View Post
So the journey continues. In this episode of This old House we have a newly exposed wall after the relocation of a furnace. Sadly the wall is seriously cracked and falling apart where the furnace was. It is plaster as a lot of the house is and certainly slathered with a nice coat of lead based paint as the house is a 1951 model. I am guessing this is not a DYI project?
It's not certainly painted with lead paint... I've encountered it on trim far more than anywhere else like interior walls. Wear a decent respirator and you'll be fine - you should wear one anyway because taking down plaster throws out a crazy amount of dust.

Old 12-18-2014, 04:08 PM

1 posts, read 12,774 times
We are renovating a house that has exterior siding painted with leadbased paint. I was thinking about putting new siding over the existing siding. Can we do this or are we required to remove all the siding with lead paint first?

Old 12-18-2014, 04:26 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,010,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneyken View Post
Can we do this...?
Yes you can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House