Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2013, 09:51 PM

3,705 posts, read 4,861,819 times

Advertisements

I know I really need to call a service to check my heat pump out but am trying to educate myself on some possible problems first.

Basically, the unit does not cool. I need to turn the thermostat all the way down to even get somewhat of a temperature drop but it only drops down to 78ish from the 80 some degrees it shows. Now my thermostat isn't the most modern. It's a big, clunky honeywell which is probably the original from when the house was built in 95'.

Now, over the winter it did not heat very well either. The emergency heat kept kicking in when the temp was around 40 degrees. The previous winter it would only kick in when it hit the low 30's.

One thing I find kind of strange is that several times the emergency heat light on the thermostat has come on this summer while in cool mode. Is that even possible? Or could the thermostat be crapping out.

As far as the AC unit (heat pump), when I turn it on cool the compressor and fan turn on. It just doesn't blow out cold air like it did last summer. There is no ice on the outside unit and it isn't filled with leaves. The filter is new as well.

I'm probably asking the impossible but does anybody have any ideas? Could it just be a thermostat issue? A freon charge? But would freon affect the heat side of it in the winter? That emergency heat light sometimes in AC mode has really got me confused.

I really can't afford a new heat pump because of medical issues which just came up requiring me to quit my job. If it turns out that I need a new unit I think I'll just get a cheap window unit for the bedroom and hope next winter is mild. Any ideas what a new heat pump would run. The house is a one story 1150 sq/ft rancher.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 10:01 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,607,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
A freon charge? But would freon affect the heat side of it in the winter?
It could be something else, but if you haven't had it checked in a while, a freon charge sounds like a very good idea. In the winter, the heat pump runs backward, but it is the same process and needs refrigerant.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:01 PM

342 posts, read 1,555,660 times
It sounds like a loss of refrigerant; the tech should leak check the system and fix the leak. Could be something easy or it could be something expensive. He should look at the thermostat as well; maybe some DIY fella wired it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House