Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 02:36 AM

1 posts, read 1,378 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I've recently just bought a new house. It's practically brand new. The living space is not that big at all so the choices of furnitures i make will be crucial to making it look more spacious.

I would like to get your take or recommendations on what style furnitures / storage should i get.

See the plan of the house below.
Details:
Floor: White tile throughout
Paint: White throughout except for the lounge wall on the right is greyish green (olive?)
http://i50.tinypic.com/25yy8wg.png

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 04:45 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,503,004 times
believe it or not, my rooms are smaller than yours. my recomondations are:
pick smaller, low to the ground furniture that is nice and taylored in style. nothing puffy and sloppy. it would also be smart to have a sofa that opens to a bed for possible guests.

in the dining room, choose a table that seats 4 but can open to seat 6 or more. that way the room will seem larger most of the time, but you can still seat many people.

in the living room, for storage, choose a TV unit that will also house all dvds, books, etc but that you can close so that it always looks neat. either get a coffee table or side tables, but not both. if you get an ottoman, get one that opens to store things like blankets, pillows, magazines.

paint colors--use what you love. i have used both dark and light colors and they all play tricks on the eye in different ways, and they all work. so use something you will always enjoy.

have fun!

Old 02-24-2013, 09:58 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,467,108 times
Color is generally the last part of any residential new construction design.

I do not understand many of the things that I seen represented here. Are the dimensions in meters?

There is no access to the garage from the home. That is not good.
I do not recal every having seem a laundry that takes away space from the rest of the living area.
Why is the dining area at the opposite end of the house from the kitchen?
Window area seems very limited.

What is your climate like? Can you put area rugs over the tile to help soften the space?

Old 02-24-2013, 12:46 PM

1,256 posts, read 4,199,323 times
Mirrors - lots of them.

NOT stuffy furniture - see through MUCH better (like cane).

Bright colors for anything.

IMHO, of course.

Old 02-24-2013, 02:40 PM

37,133 posts, read 41,343,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Color is generally the last part of any residential new construction design.

I do not understand many of the things that I seen represented here. Are the dimensions in meters?

There is no access to the garage from the home. That is not good.
I do not recal every having seem a laundry that takes away space from the rest of the living area.
Why is the dining area at the opposite end of the house from the kitchen?
Window area seems very limited.

What is your climate like? Can you put area rugs over the tile to help soften the space?
Since the word "lounge" was used, I suspect OP is not in the US.

I think there is a toilet (WC) in the laundry.

Access to the garage is strange --- either via the doors to the patio or the front entrance, it appears, but the small size of the unit seems to preclude a better way to do it. I assume the bedroom(s) are upstairs.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:16 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,248,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sullyguy View Post
Mirrors - lots of them.

NOT stuffy furniture - see through MUCH better (like cane).

Bright colors for anything.

IMHO, of course.
I've also heard it is best to use glass topped tables, dining table etc. It makes the view less obstructed and adds to the visual flow, rather than how wood blocks an obstructs your view. Also, light colored walls, light colored furniture, tying the rooms together with one bright color to use as an accessory.
For instance, use a wine colored pillow, or throw on your couch, pick up a touch of that color in art work on your wall, also perhaps the flowers in your dining center piece. Vary this according to your color preference, and the pieces you have. Here is a favorite link w/ small space decor ideas. Have fun, it can be challenging but very rewarding. PS....If you love it, it works!!
Image Search Results for small living spaces diy ideas

Old 02-25-2013, 08:02 PM

1,696 posts, read 1,716,531 times
Look for 'apartment' sized furniture rather than house-sized.

In the US, there are some companies like West Elm and Grandin Road that specialize in smaller scaled furniture.

I think that's a laundry sink in the laundry, not a toilet.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy-Schmancy View Post

I think that's a laundry sink in the laundry, not a toilet.
It says "WC" :

What Is a Water Closet?

Old 02-25-2013, 10:16 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,233,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migtweetsit View Post
I would like to get your take or recommendations on what style furnitures / storage should i get
If you plan on watching TV in the living area, you may want to consider building an entertainment center under the stairs. If not, you can use that area for storage. Here are some examples:

Family Room with entertainment center neatly tucked under the stairs
Rustic entertainment center under a stairway
Under stair storage
Creative under stair storage
Under stair storage
Under the stairs storage

Old 02-25-2013, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
If you plan on watching TV in the living area, you may want to consider building an entertainment center under the stairs. If not, you can use that area for storage. Here are some examples:

Family Room with entertainment center neatly tucked under the stairs
Rustic entertainment center under a stairway
Under stair storage
Creative under stair storage
Under stair storage
Under the stairs storage

However, that would put the path from the kitchen to the dining area right in front of an entertainment center in that location. Storage would be nice, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House