Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 07:01 AM

43 posts, read 100,927 times

Advertisements

Hello all. Just moved in to the new house and we LOVE it! The water heater is bugging me though. It is an older A.O. Smith PermaGlas natural gas water heater and I have always used electric water heaters. So I have no way of knowing if this is the better option for us. IMO it does need to be replaced, just not sure if I want to stick with the gas water heater or go with an electric water heater.

So which is the better option? I like the idea of not having a gas bill during the warm months. But if it is not cost effective to use an electric water there really is no point in buying one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 07:14 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyPaws View Post
So which is the better option?
I like the idea of not having a gas bill during the warm months.
If gas is available it is ALWAYS the better option (and not just for WH's).
The very best option is a traditional old fashioned standing pilot WH (like you have now).
Don't accept a condensing flue or power vent if it ever needs to be replaced.

Quote:
It is an older A.O. Smith PermaGlas natural gas water heater
IMO it does need to be replaced...
AO Smith is one of the best WH's made (I happen to have one too)...
With basic common servicing it should last at LEAST 12-15 years; often far longer.
How old is your WH exactly?

hth

Last edited by MrRational; 04-29-2012 at 07:36 AM..

Old 04-29-2012, 07:43 AM

43 posts, read 100,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
If gas is available it is ALWAYS the better option (and not just for WH's).
The very best option is a traditional old fashioned standing pilot WH (like you have now).
Don't accept a condensing flue or power vent if it ever needs to be replaced.

AO Smith is one of the best WH's made (I happen to have one too)...
With basic common servicing it should last at LEAST 12-15 years; often far longer.
How old is your WH exactly?

hth
I was looking over some of the information on the water heater. It has the model numbers and a year of 1981. It is aged and you can tell it is older but it looks good for being the same age as me.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:05 AM

4,705 posts, read 25,299,067 times
If its 1981 its ready for replacement. While it may not be leaking, the anode rod is probably long gone, and the dip tube may be gone as well. Both of those components can be changed out, but the tank has really lived its life, and its just a matter of time. Unless it has been serviced/drained regularly, the tank is probably pretty well filled with sediment too.

While you can change it out with an electric unit, you will have to bring a new 30 amp 240V circuit over to the water heater location. Depending on where your electrical panel is, and the capacity/rating of the panel, the wiring could end up being fairly expensive.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyPaws View Post
...and a year of 1981
...you can tell it is older but it looks good for being the same age as me.
It has done it's duty.
Get another one *just like it* and it too might last 31 years.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:00 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
You can do price comparison of the fuels here, you'll need to find out what the fuel efficiency is on the NG unit and know what your local rates are. There is no adjustment for efficiency on the electric because there is no heat loss from the fuel

Fuel Comparison Calculator for Home Heating

The factor this calculator does not take into account is heat loss or how well the heat is retained once the water is heated. For example if you have an instant gas hot water heater the heat loss is almost nothing. It's just going to give you comparison of the fuels assuming everything else is equal.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You can do price comparison of the fuels here, you'll need to find out what the fuel efficiency is...
Fuel efficiency counts... but is the least of the (my) arguments in favor of gas.
When (not if) the power goes out you're simple gas burner water heater and stove will allow you to cook and have hot water. The value in having those couple of meals and staying clean until the power is o again? Rather high.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:49 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Gas is always the better choice. Depending on your utility costs, heating water electrically could cost up to twice as much as heating it with gas.

Old 04-29-2012, 12:01 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,231,509 times
In your case, gas would be cheaper to install, cheaper to use, AND it heats faster.

Old 04-29-2012, 12:25 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Fuel efficiency counts... but is the least of the (my) arguments in favor of gas.
When (not if) the power goes out you're simple gas burner water heater and stove will allow you to cook and have hot water. The value in having those couple of meals and staying clean until the power is o again? Rather high.
Irrelevant in my situation, I'm on a well pump. If there is no electric the water lasts a very short time. Since I can experience long outages I have a generator. The electric hot water heater is hooked up but it's not turned on. It's only there in case something happens to the coal boiler which supplies all of domestic hot water. The hot water heater is just a glorified storage tank.

I'm currently looking to install small hand fired coal stove with hot water coil for heat backup and hot water. Doesn't matter what the hell happens then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House