Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2011, 11:21 AM

450 posts, read 5,035,211 times

Advertisements

We're looking to replace our hardwood floors. We don't want to refinish because we have a ton of squeaks and the color is too dark for our tastes anyway.

I have read a lot about the Bruce brand and it seems to be good. I've also been researching the differences between the species. We love the look and color of maple (we don't like seeing too much grain) but have read about some negatives with maple.

Red oak seems to be the best choice for us, though I'm not crazy about the grain or the color choices with red oak.

I'm interesting in hearing recommendations for brands of flooring and species choice.

We prefer a maple/cinnamon type color for the flooring. We are only looking at solid wood and not engineered wood.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 01:57 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,634,001 times
I have had oak, maple, cherry, ash, pine and fir floors in my lifetime. My favorite is Oak. I have never had any kind of problem with oak floors but I have had one kind of problem or another with all the rest.
I think the biggest consideration in Hardwood flooring is the colour. Many people today are putting in floors that show every single little mark. In my last home before this one I had the entire house in a mid brown maple. What a major PAIN those floors were. I ended up walking around the house with a swiffer all the time just to avoid the footprints on that blasted floor. When I stopped in to see the new owners that bought the house from me, they said, "WE love everything about this house but we think there is something wrong with the floors". They loved the floors when they viewed the house because I had spent hours cleaning them down on hands and knees.

The house I have now is all natural red oak. If I did not clean those floors for days and my dogs and granchildren were bringing in all kinds of dirt and debris you can not even see it. The floors can look good and yet I can sweep up a whole dustpan of stuff off of them.

My sister put in natural rustic maple and they are the same for not showing any marks. They are beautiful floors I must say.

Old 08-01-2011, 03:32 PM

22,828 posts, read 48,133,088 times
I'm like lucknow.... loving my natural red oak!

Old 08-01-2011, 04:04 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,262,522 times
Have you thought about having the floors sanded and stained? The reason I asked was that in one house I had, the floors were light oak, but the large den was paneled in a beautiful cypress. It was a horrible contrast.

However, the guy that did my floors said he could use a stain that would blend with the cypress tone. He did. And it was just lovely!

Old 08-01-2011, 04:31 PM

5,936 posts, read 4,726,797 times
If you were to tear up and replace... I went with Premium Green Strand Woven Bamboo. Before I purchased a pallet, I took the test sample and beat the ever loving you-know-what out of it. I compared it to some other hardwoods. I could not damage this thing without going out of my way to damage it with a razor blade or sharp end of a screwdriver and putting all my weight on it.

But, the look isn't for everybody. But, its a solid piece of wood (not just a top layer of wood on engineered wood). Easy to work with a lay down too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House