Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2020, 05:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,200 times

Advertisements

So I'm planning on a cross country roadtrip in my civic around February/March 2021. With the current state of the US and COVID-19, I figured that this would be the best time to do something like this after graduating this December.
My car's got about 70,000 miles on it and still drives well. I plan on starting in Colorado Springs, make my way on I40W to LA then up HWY 1 to Washington then across I90E to Chicago then back across I70. As a FWD car, the main thing I'm concerned about is driving across the Rockies and the Midwest in general. I plan on being on the road for 30+ days and camping when I can. Should I consider an AWD vehicle, or will snow chains be enough to get me through? I've done plenty of driving alone, but I just want to know if it will be feasible. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2020, 10:26 AM

7,536 posts, read 13,703,639 times
You should be OK. People travel in winter in the Rockies with FWD cars all the time. Especially if you are mainly sticking with Interstate highways. I've been on several winter trips where the worst were the hotel parking lots.

Good to have chains available if needed. Practice installing them ahead of trip. You don't want to be learning in the middle of a snowstorm. Actually the cable version of "chains" is recommended for FWD vs old-school chain-link chains ( due to clearance for steering)

If you take a laptop or other along, ahead of trip look up and bookmark each state's road conditions webpage. Same for weather. Be prepared to stop and wait til highway clears if conditions are bad.

Good Luck...........

Old 09-04-2020, 10:25 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,195,342 times
I live in the Rockies in Western Wyoming. I drive a 2013 Honda Civic with FWD. I would be concerned about driving in those months without snow tires on my car at the very least, and all wheel drive or four wheel drive would be even better.

I drive here all winter long with my car, but it has snow tires and I'm not going up and down the mountain passes with it. I can't say much about the mid-west, but Wyoming, Utah, and Colorado can get some nasty snow storms and I wouldn't want to be stuck somewhere in my Honda Civic on the interstate or elsewhere. I wouldn't risk it.

Old 09-08-2020, 12:00 PM

21,948 posts, read 25,318,594 times
Just pay attention to the weather. You might get stuck somewhere, just happens anywhere there's snow. I've gotten stuck up in Tahoe area two days. Interstate was just completely closed, couldn't keep it plowed, for a few hours but then there's the getting to the Interstate. I was about 5 miles off it. Some people have plow trucks but no real point plowing it in the middle of a heavy snowstorm. Just hunker down, wait till it lets up and either a local plows it or they get around to the smaller roads.

Have you done any winter camping? Even relatively lower elevations (Denver/Boulder ~5,000) average highs are 40-50, lows 20-30. Tent and a good sleeping bag and it's fine. If you're going to go off the beaten path in the winter, keep extra food and water in the car in case it snows overnight and you can't get out for a few days. And obviously pay attention to weather. If there's a huge snowstorm coming in, don't go 40 miles off into nowhere. Lower elevation won't get that much snow typically but it's a Honda Civic. You're not going to drive through 6" of snow in it which means stick to plowed roads and remote campgrounds aren't high priorities to keep plowed so pay attention to the weather forecast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura