Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2009, 01:35 PM

1,492 posts, read 7,717,979 times

Advertisements

Any tips on how to quiet/silence an ice maker in a side by side?

Besides not using it- of course. I've insulated the wall behind it (interior wall that has the living room on the opposite side), I built a wall that faced the open area of the kitchen and insulated that. I'm planning on building a top of sorts...like the back and side wall...insulated of course...maybe make that a shelf or something. I don't want to build a wall on the other side as that would not look right going to the counter.

When the ice maker churns and cubes fall and hits the bucket- it wakes me up. It's only a week or so old and I haven't gotten used to it yet and don't want to. I'd hate to have my company startled by the racket of the ice.

Thanks for sharing your tips or what has worked for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 02:26 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,607,833 times
The wall behind my fridge is shared with my living room too. I remember the first time the ice fell, it scared both me and the dog. I've since gotten used to it. My fridge is not in an enclosed area. There are cabinets above it and on one side of it. The other side is open so that the fridge can be removed once it needs to be replaced.

My problem was the noise from the water dispenser in the door. I insulated the copper tubing and that helped.

Sorry I don't have any advice. I've since gotten used to the noise after 10 years. The only thing I can think of is to pull the little bar up in the ice bin before you go to bed so that no ice is being made while you sleep.

It appears as though you might have thought of a new feature that future manufacturers might be able to incorporate into future models....A timer for your ice maker.

Old 08-24-2009, 03:15 PM

244 posts, read 1,228,327 times
I also have the same problem. I have had an icemaker for years, but there are still nights when I am home alone and the ice drops and I think someone is breaking in But, I am lucky cause I sleep upstairs and don't hear it once I'm in bed. Anyhoo, good luck!

Old 08-24-2009, 05:53 PM

2,480 posts, read 5,326,074 times
My newer frig/freezer/ice maker makes all crazy sounds-I have leaned to live with it and now know all it sounds!

Old 08-24-2009, 08:06 PM

162 posts, read 633,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGrace View Post
When the ice maker churns and cubes fall and hits the bucket- it wakes me up. It's only a week or so old and I haven't gotten used to it yet and don't want to. I'd hate to have my company startled by the racket of the ice.

Thanks for sharing your tips or what has worked for you.
Turn if off at night.
There's a lever that, when raised, tells the freezer the ice container is full. Raise that lever when you go to bed, then lower it when you get up.

Old 08-24-2009, 08:07 PM

162 posts, read 633,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
The only thing I can think of is to pull the little bar up in the ice bin before you go to bed so that no ice is being made while you sleep.
Yes. Problem solved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating