Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 02:57 PM

733 posts, read 1,927,626 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are preparing to redo our kitchen and want a french country look. We saw a kitchen redone on a DIY show that had two different colors for the cabinets (top one, bottom another) I attached a tiny pic of the one we saw done.

However, as much as we like the creme color cabinets on top and the greenish/blue on the bottom, we aren't sure what color to paint the walls.

Would white make the cabinets look dirty? and with kids, dogs, and cats, should we consider a more "family friendly color" (i.e. shows less wear)?

Would love some suggestions for our wall color....We are drawing blanks....

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
wall color for kitchen remodel???? suggestions?-dktn310_1cd_e.jpg.jpeg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 07:16 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,795,207 times
A golden yellow with some accents of red since your cabinets are blue and white.
Waverly Baja Stripe Marina : Blues : Waverly Classic Prints : Waverly 54" Fabric Collection | Joann.com
http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.j...DID=xprd944076
When I hear French country, I think of Toiles, stripes, small prints and detailed patterns.

Old 03-29-2009, 08:22 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
Uppers one color and lowers another? That's a new one. I do often mix and match different wood species as well as colors but not that way. From 2000 to 2005 we were mixing colors on about 10% of our kitchens but the fad seemed to have died a little bit.

What I still suggest to clients is to do one two or 3 uppers differently.For example a maple natural kitchen but make the over the micro box sky blue, over the fridge and even the double oven cabinet sky blue as well. I have also done this with all light brown kitchen but those same upper boxes are dark brown. I still often do the crown molding a whole different color. My favorite kitchen is all maple natural cabinets, maple natural crown with a rope or dentil insert into the crown in a dark cherry paprika. What a nice highlight that is.

Many people feel like they need to be real brave to try something so different. In my showroom we have mixed color combos to show people what they can do if they want to be creative or just different.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:22 AM

83 posts, read 259,436 times
This is a nice suggestion..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post
A golden yellow with some accents of red since your cabinets are blue and white.
Waverly Baja Stripe Marina : Blues : Waverly Classic Prints : Waverly 54" Fabric Collection | Joann.com
Waverly Far And Away Garnet Fabric : Reds and Pinks : Waverly Classic Prints : Waverly 54" Fabric Collection | Joann.com
When I hear French country, I think of Toiles, stripes, small prints and detailed patterns.

Old 03-30-2009, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post
Waverly Far And Away Garnet Fabric : Reds and Pinks : Waverly Classic Prints : Waverly 54" Fabric Collection | Joann.com
Thank you! LOVE the color combination! That's perfect! You help is much appreciated!

Old 03-30-2009, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Uppers one color and lowers another? That's a new one. I do often mix and match different wood species as well as colors but not that way. From 2000 to 2005 we were mixing colors on about 10% of our kitchens but the fad seemed to have died a little bit.

What I still suggest to clients is to do one two or 3 uppers differently.For example a maple natural kitchen but make the over the micro box sky blue, over the fridge and even the double oven cabinet sky blue as well. I have also done this with all light brown kitchen but those same upper boxes are dark brown. I still often do the crown molding a whole different color. My favorite kitchen is all maple natural cabinets, maple natural crown with a rope or dentil insert into the crown in a dark cherry paprika. What a nice highlight that is.

Many people feel like they need to be real brave to try something so different. In my showroom we have mixed color combos to show people what they can do if they want to be creative or just different.
we actually have maple now, but it has been white washed and we just want a new look. We think the cabinets are great, but getting worn, so we decided we would like to paint them.

There isn't much to the crown molding ( it's a very thin moulding, not crown for sure and something we may or may not replace)

I do like the idea of a different colored wood. Sounds more difficult than a new coat of paint, but we will probably redo this kitchen again somewhere down the line....

Thanks for the post and suggestions!

Old 10-03-2010, 09:12 PM

45 posts, read 249,380 times
We have Black distressed cabinets on one portion, distressed whitewash on another, and dark mahogany on the island base. Floors a little lighter than the island. Bold colors sound like a major commitment. We had a deep Red wall once on one wall and a bold mustard a few years before that in a different house. In the end they were overpowering and misunderstood by others. French blues and greens, even crimson are all good to me if they are muted and soft. In that context I'd pick a portion and try but doing a good job painting cabinets leaves this a job not to repeat often if you don't like the outcome.

Old 10-08-2010, 09:45 PM

1,654 posts, read 7,345,719 times
I say yellow walls and blue cabinetry. However, the yellow needs to be extremely pale.

Old 10-08-2010, 09:59 PM

1,379 posts, read 3,918,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennquaker09 View Post
I say yellow walls and blue cabinetry. However, the yellow needs to be extremely pale.
Yellow walls and blue cabinetry? Hmmm . . . Michigan fan?

Old 10-09-2010, 10:33 AM

970 posts, read 2,967,296 times
Just my $0.02...

Brown walls would look great in there. I love the combination of brown and blue, no matter what shades the two colors are.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating