Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who is your favourite fighter?
Andrew Peters 1 5.88%
Eric Godard 0 0%
Riley Cote 4 23.53%
Jody Shelley 0 0%
Trevor Gillies 1 5.88%
Ben Eager 0 0%
Brad May 0 0%
Wade Belak 0 0%
D.J. King 0 0%
Jared Boll 0 0%
Chris Neil 0 0%
Shawn Thornton 0 0%
Colton Orr 2 11.76%
Darcy Hordichuk 1 5.88%
David Koci 0 0%
Brian McGrattan 0 0%
Derek Boogaard 5 29.41%
Zack Stortini 1 5.88%
Brad Staubitz 0 0%
Paul Bissonnette 0 0%
Raitis Ivanans 0 0%
George Parros 1 5.88%
Krys Barch 0 0%
Eric Boulton 0 0%
Zenon Konopka 1 5.88%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 10:06 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,147,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
You can study as much as you wish but its just not the same as witnessing it all unfold over the years in person. The "atmosphere" in the hockey world was different back then too.......something that no amount of "studying" will allow you to experience or even begin to comprehend. Clearly the older players who played under less rules but were hampered by the clutching, grabbing, hooking and interference would score more today with more freedom to exercise their talents.....thats a no brainer. The only reason Domi was even in the league was because a certain number of "goons" were needed when the league expanded and he was a marginally "qualified goon". Part of fighting is knowing when to fight and Domi was a hot head who often fought at the wrong time putting his team at a disadvantage.....once the "instigator" rule came into affect no one wanted him. For the last time Schultz was "the" heavyweight in a world of heavyweights. Despite sitting in the penalty box for 470 minutes a season and playing on a 4th line when the coach could give him ice time and playing in a game burdened with constant clutching, grabbing, hooking and interference he still scored 20 goals.........thats an incredible accomplishment. Since you've done a lot of "studying" perhaps you might be able to give a short list of other players who can offer those statistics.......how about even one ????
Cam Neely! The most well rounded player ever!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 03:20 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,334,386 times
It turns out Schultz didn't do it either:
Dave Schultz hockey statistics & profile at hockeydb.com

Old 05-19-2010, 02:45 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,147,648 times
The 74-75 season is proof what Schultz was lacking. You complain about Domi with the unnecessary penalties at the wrong time but in the previous year he had 20 goals then his penalties when well over 400 minutes and his goals went down to "9". Maybe it's just that you're biased as a Flyers fan. I could try selling the fact that Bobby Nystrom was the best fighter ever, being that i'm an Islander fan and he's my friends cousin but that would be my bias, and i'm more honest than that.

Old 05-19-2010, 03:44 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,735,023 times
Wow this poll is as lame as Coldplay winning best Rock album last year!!! HA!!!! Wheres PAtrick Kaleta, and Bolton can't fight if his life depended on it... literally

Old 05-19-2010, 05:42 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,978,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
It turns out Schultz didn't do it either:
Dave Schultz hockey statistics & profile at hockeydb.com

OK....get picky....the year Schultz (72-73) scored 20 goals he had 348 penalty minutes. Now show me one other enforcer in the history of the league that scored 20 goals with 348 penalty minutes while playing in a limited capacity on a 4th line ????

Old 05-19-2010, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
The 74-75 season is proof what Schultz was lacking. You complain about Domi with the unnecessary penalties at the wrong time but in the previous year he had 20 goals then his penalties when well over 400 minutes and his goals went down to "9". Maybe it's just that you're biased as a Flyers fan. I could try selling the fact that Bobby Nystrom was the best fighter ever, being that i'm an Islander fan and he's my friends cousin but that would be my bias, and i'm more honest than that.
So.....now you have dumped Domi in favor of Nystrom ? Doesn't matter.......sure i'm a Flyers fan but unless your just plain blind clearly Schultz was a better choice as an enforcer than Domi. If you wish to get picky and claim his 470 penalty minute year he only scored 9 goals thats fine because the year he scored 20 goals his penalty minutes were 348. Additionally, Domi only reached 29 total points once while Schultz had a few years with point totals in the 30s.....so.....not only could he score a few goals but he could add a few assists too. Furthermore, in Domi's best year of 15 goals he only had 171 penalty minutes.....half that of Schultz. Your trying to make a comparison between Domi and Schultz and there is none......its apples to oranges....except with Domi....then its coconuts !!!

Old 05-19-2010, 08:12 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,849,024 times
Quote:
OK....get picky....the year Schultz (72-73) scored 20 goals he had 348 penalty minutes. Now show me one other enforcer in the history of the league that scored 20 goals with 348 penalty minutes while playing in a limited capacity on a 4th line ????
I don't remember his playing time per game average but Bob Probert:

1987-88 Goals- 29, Assists- 33, PIM- 398, selected for the NHL All-Star Game.

He was just never the same player after he was forced to try to deal with his cocaine habit.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
I don't remember his playing time per game average but Bob Probert:

1987-88 Goals- 29, Assists- 33, PIM- 398, selected for the NHL All-Star Game.

He was just never the same player after he was forced to try to deal with his cocaine habit.

Probert was tough to be sure and could score too....he might be the one who fits the bill here.....with the exception that I don't think he played limited minutes on a 4th line ? Still....every coach would love to have him on their team minus the cocaine.

Old 05-20-2010, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff 11 View Post
Wow this poll is as lame as Coldplay winning best Rock album last year!!! HA!!!! Wheres PAtrick Kaleta, and Bolton can't fight if his life depended on it... literally
You call the poll lame and then you mention Kaleta??
Whether Boulton can fight or not is up for debate,but at least he is dropping the gloves with the heavies,something Kaleta never has done.

Old 05-20-2010, 03:29 AM

Quote:
It is an accomplishment in every line,I haven't said anything else.
It's not me who needs to be convinced.
I just want the correct facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey