Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2022, 09:54 AM

1,977 posts, read 967,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
The solution is simply dont give out these contracts. The power forward types will have no choice but to accept. Its either makes this much or dont make anything and go minors.
Sadly, it is what it is. Someone is going to pay players. Notice how a lot of guys' production declines after they receive a new deal or huge extension.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2023, 07:50 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggermatt15 View Post
Sadly, it is what it is. Someone is going to pay players. Notice how a lot of guys' production declines after they receive a new deal or huge extension.
Bobby Ryan perfect example.

Old 01-27-2023, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Bobby Ryan perfect example.
Jon Taveras

Rick DiPietro

Old 01-30-2023, 02:22 PM

17,115 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Jon Taveras

Rick DiPietro
John Tavares has been a consistent ppg player his entire career -- and still is. He's on pace to another 30+ goal season.

Old 01-30-2023, 08:57 PM

2,362 posts, read 1,054,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticking View Post
Went to a game in Vegas center ice front row. It was great for my family as it was their first hockey game. I used to go to hockey games back in the 1980's and sat in the nosebleed seats.

I didn't enjoy the style of play or intensity of the game. There was hardly any hitting throughout the game, and there was little intensity. The game was between the first and second place teams in the same division. This should have been a hard-fought game with a lot of hitting, pushing and shoving, screaming. Instead, it was a lot dancing, compliance, lackadaisical demeaners. Based on this game alone, the league looks soft in comparison to what I recall from days of old. Maybe this is what the public wants nowadays, but for me I liked a good fight here and there, and hard hits against the glass. To me the sport is ruined with over officiating and rules.
Yeah and the 1970s were even better ....

I remember the Philadelphia Flyers in the mid 70s ..."The Broad Street Bullies"
Lots of fun watching Dave "The Hammer" Schultz....
that started the era where every team would hire an "enforcer"...not the best skater or player...
but could really fight...

Old 01-31-2023, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
John Tavares has been a consistent ppg player his entire career -- and still is. He's on pace to another 30+ goal season.
Right, he has been consistent. But he was supposed to be the next Crosby, Stamkos, Ovechkin, franchise player. He did not live up to that hype.

Old 02-02-2023, 07:53 AM

3,657 posts, read 2,937,139 times
Hockey was brilliant back in the days of Gretzky's Oilers and Mario's Penguins and Messier's Rangers and stars like Pavel Bure, Russian stars of the Red Wings. Black and Blue teams like the Flyers and St. Louis with Al MacInnis.

I have heard many stars the late 80s and up to mid 90s was the golden ear of hockey.

I had VHS tapes of many of the games from that era and watched it repeated just for the skating of such stars. But sadly threw them away for stupid reasons.

The best team of any hockey ear was Mario's Penguins who did not win quite as many Cups as I expected.

Hockey is good today with its skill but the hitting is so soft compared the past. You can't lay a good hit without having someone jumping you 2 seconds later.

Old 02-02-2023, 01:13 PM

2,158 posts, read 1,441,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
Hockey was brilliant back in the days of Gretzky's Oilers and Mario's Penguins and Messier's Rangers and stars like Pavel Bure, Russian stars of the Red Wings. Black and Blue teams like the Flyers and St. Louis with Al MacInnis.

I have heard many stars the late 80s and up to mid 90s was the golden ear of hockey.

I had VHS tapes of many of the games from that era and watched it repeated just for the skating of such stars. But sadly threw them away for stupid reasons.

The best team of any hockey ear was Mario's Penguins who did not win quite as many Cups as I expected.

Hockey is good today with its skill but the hitting is so soft compared the past. You can't lay a good hit without having someone jumping you 2 seconds later.
Look at the intensity and hitting from the 1980's and 90's, and compare it to today's game.
I see it as part of a general wussification of US society.
Perhaps some of that is due to the aging of society.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4LbWz26UKs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cd6LsXUGAj8

Old 02-03-2023, 08:16 AM

Hockey today is almost turning into football, where you can barely hit other players.

Old 02-04-2023, 10:35 PM

2,158 posts, read 1,441,352 times
Quote:
Hockey today is almost turning into football, where you can barely hit other players.
I'm not sure which segment of society/fan the league is trying to appease. The latest generation of fans seem to be just as enthusiastic about rough and tumble play although they don't see too much of it in comparison to 30 years ago. Of course, the game can't be permitted to be TOO dangerous for the safety of the players, although it still has to be entertaining enough for fans to want to watch. The intense rough play and occasional fight/brawl was highly entertaining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey