Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2016, 08:47 AM

2,950 posts, read 5,202,669 times

Advertisements

If the choosing a nickname crap drags on much longer, and it's a mediocre name especially, some of the anticipation and goodwill of the new team may quickly get tarnished locally?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2016, 06:45 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,925,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
If the choosing a nickname crap drags on much longer, and it's a mediocre name especially, some of the anticipation and goodwill of the new team may quickly get tarnished locally?
It's going to be "Black Knights"...

Old 08-08-2016, 02:37 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,095,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
It's going to be "Black Knights"...

apparently there is an issue with the Junior Hockey League Knights up in Canada way

sounds as if Black Knights is dead

doesn't make much sense to name the team after a witless character in a Monty Python movie anyways

Old 08-08-2016, 03:23 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,359,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
Had they expand to Quebec City, it would create little or no buzz or wow factor in the general sports world.
Good observation BG=
Why the NHL (and the Montreal Canadiens) said no to Quebec City | Montreal Gazette

Old 08-08-2016, 10:23 PM

2,822 posts, read 1,931,734 times
I think quite a few of the ''Newer'' teams have some lame names, so I hope it's not too lame.

I'm not into the Wild or Blue Jackets as team names. The Thrashers were an okay name, but only because it made me think of thrash music. Sounds more suited for a football team. Blue Jackets sounds more like a name for a college team.

Predators is a cool name, as far as the most recent wave of expansion teams go.

I remember thinking the Lightning was kind of a lame name back when the Lightning became a team in the early 90's. It doesn't sound too bad to me now though.

Old 08-10-2016, 01:07 AM

2,950 posts, read 5,202,669 times
Sane here:. Lightning now sounds normal to me.

And I also hate the Wild name. I know, I know, it refers to the wild or wilderness of upstate Minnesota, I guess (?), but most Americans know nothing about Minnesota, don't care, and just love making fun of the accents. Wild sounds amateur and minor league.

For what it's worth: I was born in St. Paul, but moved after kindergarten, and my parents are Canadian.

Old 10-08-2016, 12:44 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,628,333 times
Thought I would update this since it's been a couple months and I live in Vegas...

The team name will be formally announced on November 18th - many locals feeling it is a toss up between the Desert Knights or the Silver Knights... (Nevada is The Silver State and full of old silver mines). IMO, I'd take Silver Knights.

The T-Mobile Arena is beautiful... it opened in April and has mostly held music concerts so far but this weekend it is hosting Frozen Fury XVIII. The Dallas Stars beat the LA Kings 6-3 last night. Early reports from players is that they were very impressed with the facility as well as the way they felt on the ice here in Vegas
https://www.vegasishockey.com/news-detail?recordNum=210
https://www.vegasishockey.com/news-detail?recordNum=211

For 18 years, the LA Kings have played at least one preseason game in Las Vegas (usually against the Colorado Avalanche... they play two this year Stars/Avalanche). Set up for hockey, the arena seats 17,500... a while back, they announced that 16,000 season tickets have been sold and the ownership group has decided to cap it there to leave 1,500 single game tickets available each night.

On October 5th, the team broke ground on a new practice facility in Summerlin (a suburb of Vegas about 15 miles/minutes West of the Strip). While being a hub for team operations as well as training activities, it will also be open for use by youth teams in Southern Nevada.
https://www.vegasishockey.com/news-detail?recordNum=208

The T-Mobile arena is located directly behind the New York New York property on the Strip. Next to the NYNY is Excalibur... an older, but very affordable property to stay at. They are currently building a massive parking structure to help accommodate additional vehicles being in the area since T-Mobile's opening. Between NYNY, MGM and Monte Carlo (the three closest properties to the arena), there are just over 10,000 hotel rooms.
MGM - 5,000+
NYNY - 2,000 +
Monte Carlo - 3,000 +

The city itself is VERY much excited about our team. Las Vegas is changing... there is less focus on gambling these days. In addition to the T-Mobile opening, MGM built a Top Golf facility that has over 100 hitting bays on four levels. It has been a massive success. Then NHL has finally happened after many years of wonder and exploration into the idea. Now, the LV city council has approved preliminary funding for an NFL stadium in order to bring the Raiders NFL franchise here. All signs point to that happening now as well.

We are a no-income tax state with cheap housing that would obviously be very player-friendly. There are over 2.1 million people here who want to do all the "normal" things that people in other cities want to do as well. We have one of the strongest population growths in the United States... which bodes well for long term success as far as NHL support goes.

Living here is a bit strange sometimes because although it's VERY easy to meet people in a similar situation (most people have moved here relatively recently from somewhere else), we don't have very much that truly unites us. We are a giant melting pot... we all have different backgrounds and I feel like a lot of people here lay so low (we don't gamble or have much reason to go to the Strip now... so that leaves us with suburbia)... bringing pro sports here gives us all a reason to finally bringing the people in this city together.

We are ready... trust me... I see it every day -- and the amount of people I meet who are excited about the thought of visiting Vegas and being able to see their team play against us is also to be taken seriously. The only way to prove this is to see it for yourselves... and you will very soon.
So don't knock us... other cities didn't get a team because they didn't want it enough and we did. It's as simple as that. Vegas built the world-class arena, we got the owner to pay an expansion fee, we got the fans to sell the arena's season tickets out...

Looking forward to this!! Cheers!!

Old 10-08-2016, 03:42 PM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 13,436,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Cabbie View Post
Thought I would update this since it's been a couple months and I live in Vegas...

The team name will be formally announced on November 18th - many locals feeling it is a toss up between the Desert Knights or the Silver Knights... (Nevada is The Silver State and full of old silver mines). IMO, I'd take Silver Knights.

The T-Mobile Arena is beautiful... it opened in April and has mostly held music concerts so far but this weekend it is hosting Frozen Fury XVIII. The Dallas Stars beat the LA Kings 6-3 last night. Early reports from players is that they were very impressed with the facility as well as the way they felt on the ice here in Vegas
https://www.vegasishockey.com/news-detail?recordNum=210
https://www.vegasishockey.com/news-detail?recordNum=211

For 18 years, the LA Kings have played at least one preseason game in Las Vegas (usually against the Colorado Avalanche... they play two this year Stars/Avalanche). Set up for hockey, the arena seats 17,500... a while back, they announced that 16,000 season tickets have been sold and the ownership group has decided to cap it there to leave 1,500 single game tickets available each night.

On October 5th, the team broke ground on a new practice facility in Summerlin (a suburb of Vegas about 15 miles/minutes West of the Strip). While being a hub for team operations as well as training activities, it will also be open for use by youth teams in Southern Nevada.
https://www.vegasishockey.com/news-detail?recordNum=208

The T-Mobile arena is located directly behind the New York New York property on the Strip. Next to the NYNY is Excalibur... an older, but very affordable property to stay at. They are currently building a massive parking structure to help accommodate additional vehicles being in the area since T-Mobile's opening. Between NYNY, MGM and Monte Carlo (the three closest properties to the arena), there are just over 10,000 hotel rooms.
MGM - 5,000+
NYNY - 2,000 +
Monte Carlo - 3,000 +

The city itself is VERY much excited about our team. Las Vegas is changing... there is less focus on gambling these days. In addition to the T-Mobile opening, MGM built a Top Golf facility that has over 100 hitting bays on four levels. It has been a massive success. Then NHL has finally happened after many years of wonder and exploration into the idea. Now, the LV city council has approved preliminary funding for an NFL stadium in order to bring the Raiders NFL franchise here. All signs point to that happening now as well.

We are a no-income tax state with cheap housing that would obviously be very player-friendly. There are over 2.1 million people here who want to do all the "normal" things that people in other cities want to do as well. We have one of the strongest population growths in the United States... which bodes well for long term success as far as NHL support goes.

Living here is a bit strange sometimes because although it's VERY easy to meet people in a similar situation (most people have moved here relatively recently from somewhere else), we don't have very much that truly unites us. We are a giant melting pot... we all have different backgrounds and I feel like a lot of people here lay so low (we don't gamble or have much reason to go to the Strip now... so that leaves us with suburbia)... bringing pro sports here gives us all a reason to finally bringing the people in this city together.

We are ready... trust me... I see it every day -- and the amount of people I meet who are excited about the thought of visiting Vegas and being able to see their team play against us is also to be taken seriously. The only way to prove this is to see it for yourselves... and you will very soon.
So don't knock us... other cities didn't get a team because they didn't want it enough and we did. It's as simple as that. Vegas built the world-class arena, we got the owner to pay an expansion fee, we got the fans to sell the arena's season tickets out...

Looking forward to this!! Cheers!!
Excellent writeup. I'm a Kings fan and enjoyed watching the game last night (on TV)...it looks like a very nice arena. Question (you didn't say if you were at the game)...was the Shake Shack there up and running? Was wondering if they got it open in time for Frozen Fury.

Seems like the NHL will do nicely in Vegas. Looking forward to it.

Old 10-09-2016, 08:18 AM

6,406 posts, read 8,998,042 times
Desert Knights and Silver Knights are terrible names. This has been a trend as of late with NHL expansion teams. Hopefully they will at least come up with a good logo unlike Nashville. It must be a hard task to come up with a nickname that will please everyone but it sounds like Vegas is obsessed with a knight theme for reasons unknown. It's like they're not even trying very hard. Maybe they'll drop a bombshell in November and have an awesome name and logo.

At the end of the day, though, as long as the fan base is happy that's what matters.

Old 10-11-2016, 03:05 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,628,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Excellent writeup. I'm a Kings fan and enjoyed watching the game last night (on TV)...it looks like a very nice arena. Question (you didn't say if you were at the game)...was the Shake Shack there up and running? Was wondering if they got it open in time for Frozen Fury.

Seems like the NHL will do nicely in Vegas. Looking forward to it.
Shake Shack opened in addition to four all-new restaurants alongside NY NY leading pedestrians back to the T-Mobile Arena. The most popular of the four has been BeerHaus. That whole area is now known as "The Park"
As an added bonus, The Arena is the closest major object to the In-n-Out burger on Tropicana and Dean Martin Drive. People love it.

This past weekend's events were a big success. The hockey fan fest definitely felt alive with all the buzz surrounding the new team. Our owner (Bill Foley) was there answering questions from the crowd and media.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey