Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 04:08 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times

Advertisements

I spent the past 6 weeks in a small town in Mexico. It's still that way, mostly. But TV is color. Meat and fish are sold from tables out on the street, by vendors who sharpen their knives on the curb. I was at a gas station on a Sunday afternoon and noticed three quarters of all the pickup trucks that came through had passengers in the back. Just to prove how dangerous it is, the average life expectancy of Americans is almost a year longer than Mexicans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 12:13 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
I remember in the 50's when i was a kid we mostly watched TV at the prime times of 8-10pm. once the 60's roiled around I didn't watch alopt of TV because i was working part time or hanging out with my friends. We spent alot of hours working on my or my Friends cars making them a car to be proud of on the drag on Friday and Saturday nites.During the warm months we were at the beach on weekends if we didn't' have to work.Most of my money went to the cars or dating. For two dollars you could make the drag all nite and go to the beach the next day. Great times to grow up without gangs and the trouble you see today.No one cared squat about politics as we were having too much fun. Even in the late 60's and Vietnam things didn't change much around my town but it did the nation from watching TV. iIserved my time came home and went to college then into the work force. My best fiends now are the same ones I had then.We are more like brothers than friends.I can't say i would ahve change anything. i even grew to appreciate what I learned about life in the service and the only regret is I loss a few freinds from school; to the war.

Old 03-22-2009, 12:21 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,192,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Just to prove how dangerous it is, the average life expectancy of Americans is almost a year longer than Mexicans.
Not to say that it isn't dangerous, but that might have a lot to do with other things too, such as health care and diet.

Old 03-24-2009, 03:46 PM

16,673 posts, read 17,440,619 times
Great thread, and as someone mentioned earlier, how did we survive without today's nanny state Health and Safety brigade?

I remember strapping ex army hickory wood skis to my legs with rope and 'teaching myself to ski'. My brother pushed me down the hillside and when the snow plough (plow) I'd seen them do on TV didn't work, I just keeled over in order to stop.

Okay, so I got an internal haemorrhage but it was fun at the time.

No iPods, internet and the like but we got on and enjoyed things like taking the dog out doing this thing called reading books!

Where we were in the early 1970s we still had milk delivered by horse and cart!

Old 03-24-2009, 05:23 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,096,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Speaking of black and white television, I can remember when stations went off the air for the night. They'd play the National Anthem with the flag in the background followed by what looked like a dartboard with numbers on it that stayed on the screen until the station went back on the air that morning.
That sounds utterly useless and ridiculous. Let me just say when I got food poisoning in 7th grade and couldn't sleep the entire night because I was up puking 9 times that I'm GLAD that wasn't on my television. Instead, I watched a Cosby marathon. ::Phew::

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I spent the past 6 weeks in a small town in Mexico. It's still that way, mostly. But TV is color. Meat and fish are sold from tables out on the street, by vendors who sharpen their knives on the curb. I was at a gas station on a Sunday afternoon and noticed three quarters of all the pickup trucks that came through had passengers in the back. Just to prove how dangerous it is, the average life expectancy of Americans is almost a year longer than Mexicans.
Maybe not anymore. =P

Old 03-26-2009, 08:36 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,786,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddy4LyF View Post
That sounds utterly useless and ridiculous. Let me just say when I got food poisoning in 7th grade and couldn't sleep the entire night because I was up puking 9 times that I'm GLAD that wasn't on my television. Instead, I watched a Cosby marathon. ::Phew::
It was ridiculous, I never understood why they went off the air and totally disregarded an audience that perhaps worked nights and slept days or just stayed up late. In the 80's/90's when they did stay on the air all night it was all informercials. At least in the 80's you had the VCR.

Old 03-28-2009, 09:13 PM

18 posts, read 136,516 times
I remember my metal saucer sled flyin down hills and running into the road to see if we could make sparks!!! ( dumb I know ) Going roller skating for a quarter and they had a organ player..LOL.

Old 03-28-2009, 09:16 PM

952 posts, read 3,706,689 times
dqedqw

Old 03-28-2009, 09:27 PM

893 posts, read 1,580,395 times
Great thread........If you got into trouble at school, you got into trouble at home. Everyone ate at the same time at the dinner table ( never make your mother call more than twice for you). In the summer time, your legs looked as if youd been to combat because of the scrapes, bug bites, and such. Bologna sandwhiches, going off to play in the woods for hours at a time....wow, I miss it.

Old 03-28-2009, 09:43 PM

1,914 posts, read 7,150,389 times
It is still that way in most of the world. When I go visit Mexico it is still like that. Except for the middle class which are now Americanized. They learn English in school, play with their Xbox and don't go play outside anymore. That's not a good thing. I wish things hadn't changed so much. I am constantly on this laptop myself and we have about 3 computers in the house. The only day off is Sunday. No tv, no computers, etc. We actually enjoy our Sundays very much...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History