Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 04:06 PM

8,226 posts, read 3,421,135 times

Advertisements

I was just thinking about all the drugs that are so popular, even if they have little or no proven benefit. I wondered why the insurance companies are so happy to pay for them. They won't pay for natural supplements -- but drugs, however expensive, are just fine.

So I thought maybe the drug companies pay the insurance companies to cover the drugs. And I looked it up in Google and what do you know -- drugs companies give big rebates to the insurance companies for covering their drugs.

Old 05-29-2017, 04:13 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
I was just thinking about all the drugs that are so popular, even if they have little or no proven benefit. I wondered why the insurance companies are so happy to pay for them. They won't pay for natural supplements -- but drugs, however expensive, are just fine.

So I thought maybe the drug companies pay the insurance companies to cover the drugs. And I looked it up in Google and what do you know -- drugs companies give big rebates to the insurance companies for covering their drugs.
Boy that doesn't surprise me. Post the link.

I heard years ago pharma grants funds to medical schools.

Medical Schools and Drug Firm Dollars : NPR

There are other sites as well.

Old 05-29-2017, 04:14 PM

2,893 posts, read 2,142,714 times
Quote:

which drugs are those?

Old 05-29-2017, 04:35 PM

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...merry-go-round

Old 05-29-2017, 04:36 PM

So this means insurance companies are NOT basing their decisions on what is safe and works best. They are basing their decisions, largely, on the rebates.

Old 05-29-2017, 04:43 PM

Quote:
How gross, we don't know how gross until we read it in print.

Old 05-29-2017, 07:18 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,843,322 times
“We regret that our programs did not keep pace with the evolving health-care system, and, as a result, some patients are facing out-of-pocket costs that were never intended, potentially leading to stress upon them and their families,” Mylan said in a letter last month to Congress, which objected to the $600 price for two EpiPens.

My DOCTOR prescribes medicine and my insurance covers it - none of the rebates influence what my doctor chooses (he would probably have no knowledge of the rebates as it is given to the insurance company). I don't think I have EVER had insurance NOT approve the doctor's recommendation.

Also, please note, a lot of the rebate amounts ARE going back to the patients, just not in some situations which makes a greater hardship on some families.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-29-2017, 07:21 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:
So this means insurance companies are NOT basing their decisions on what is safe and works best. They are basing their decisions, largely, on the rebates.

Insurance companies do not decide what medicine is prescribed, doctors do.

The problems is that insurance normally pays for meds, so they would get the rebate. The problem is when patients have a high deductible, they should get the rebate, but the insurance company is still getting it.

But again..... doctors issue the Rx.

It's in the article.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-29-2017, 07:49 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times
I fired a primary care doctor because he and his PA both kept trying to peddle new medications at me that had just come out, for my BP. They also tried to push a brand new antidepressant and I don't have a problem with depression. The meds for my BP work just fine and have been for a while. Yet they pushed these new ones like used car sales reps.

Old 05-29-2017, 07:55 PM

As I understood the OP's reasoning for the post is that so much money influence is paid to medical schools and doctors by pharma world overall. I wish they'd play fair and support some of my alternative medicines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.