Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 07:33 AM

1 posts, read 1,571 times

Advertisements

Moving to the area soon this summer and looking for safer places to live off base. Anyone have some advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2017, 12:32 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,697,783 times
My advice is don't move to Portsmouth.

Family, kids, budget?

Old 02-12-2017, 05:46 AM

1,812 posts, read 4,264,098 times
I agree with Spazkat9696. I do not live in Portsmouth, but hear and read of its issues on tv and in the local newspapers. Most often it involves violent crime or the ineptness of the local government officials. In a June 2015 newspaper article about Confederate memorials in that city, this statement jumps out:

"Portsmouth is a city plagued by monumental problems. A 122-year-old Confederate marker is the least of them."

Confederate memorial is least of Portsmouth's monumental problems | Kerry Dougherty | pilotonline.com

I don't think this city's problems have been resolved since this article was published. Good luck with your move.

Old 02-12-2017, 10:07 AM

1,288 posts, read 1,118,933 times
Agree with the other advice. Don't move to Portsmouth. There is very little redeeming about it. Crime is sky high (and the safer areas of town are small pockets that are few and far between). Taxes are also high. Yet the town is mostly run down. Old Towne Portsmouth seems to have made some strides... but you're talking a few blocks that are surrounded by some of the most dangerous neighborhoods in the state, if not the country. Schools are also really bad.

If you have to live in the general SW quadrant of Hampton Roads, I would recommend Western Branch in Chesapeake. Or maybe even Great Bridge if you can drive that far. In general, Chesapeake taxes are a bit lower, crime is FAR lower in these parts, and the schools are better. And depending on which base you will be working in, the drive may be only marginally further.

Old 02-12-2017, 06:42 PM

1,389 posts, read 2,295,346 times
Wow. I'm a native of Portsmouth and get back to visit often. If you don't need public schools, Old Town may work. There are some other very nice areas. All of Portsmouth is not a deplorable mess like some may lead you to believe. If you need schools, live elsewhere, but if you dont...Portsmouth offers good bang for your buck with housing. I also promise you won't die. Lol. Some folks need to get out more.

Old 02-13-2017, 08:08 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,697,783 times
Unless you want a long drive, or a toll, you're not getting out of Ptown.

Old 02-15-2017, 09:42 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,556,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by criss_bishop View Post
Moving to the area soon this summer and looking for safer places to live off base. Anyone have some advice?
No. Move to Norfolk instead.

Old 04-23-2017, 10:16 AM

16 posts, read 18,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
No. Move to Norfolk instead.
?

Picking Norfolk over Portsmouth is like picking being stabbed over being shot. What base are you talking about (there are tons of bases here). If you are being stationed in Norfolk and have kids, best bets are VB and Chesapeake for schools. If you are stationed in Portsmouth, I would say try finding a place in Northern Suffolk or Chesapeake (Western Branch). In this area, the old adage of "you get what you pay for" rings very true and maybe even "you don't even get what you pay for" would be better. If you are getting BAH trust and believe that each and every penny will be sucked up in housing costs. But if you have kids even the worst schools in VB and Chesapeake are leaps and bounds above the best schools Norfolk and Portsmouth have to offer. The one exception in Chesapeake would be the area that runs along I-464 called "South Norfolk". Avoid this at all costs. If you look at a map, anything in Chesapeake inside I-64 (the "beltway" that no one here calls a beltway) should be avoided. The areas inside the beltway in VB (College Park) can be iffy but nowhere near as bad as South Norfolk.

Old 04-23-2017, 03:31 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,556,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORFian View Post
?

Picking Norfolk over Portsmouth is like picking being stabbed over being shot. What base are you talking about (there are tons of bases here). If you are being stationed in Norfolk and have kids, best bets are VB and Chesapeake for schools. If you are stationed in Portsmouth, I would say try finding a place in Northern Suffolk or Chesapeake (Western Branch). In this area, the old adage of "you get what you pay for" rings very true and maybe even "you don't even get what you pay for" would be better. If you are getting BAH trust and believe that each and every penny will be sucked up in housing costs. But if you have kids even the worst schools in VB and Chesapeake are leaps and bounds above the best schools Norfolk and Portsmouth have to offer. The one exception in Chesapeake would be the area that runs along I-464 called "South Norfolk". Avoid this at all costs. If you look at a map, anything in Chesapeake inside I-64 (the "beltway" that no one here calls a beltway) should be avoided. The areas inside the beltway in VB (College Park) can be iffy but nowhere near as bad as South Norfolk.
Thanks a lot. I lived in South Norfolk for several years renting a two story detached. I never had any problems but it was a bit depressing over there. It looks a lot better now.

Old 04-25-2017, 02:03 PM

16 posts, read 18,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Thanks a lot. I lived in South Norfolk for several years renting a two story detached. I never had any problems but it was a bit depressing over there. It looks a lot better now.
My condolences.

I have in-laws who live over there. The schools are awful, retail is non-existent, borders one of Norfolk's worst areas (Berkeley) but still people get suckered in because it is in "Chesapeake". It should be called "East Craddock".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area