Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 03:24 PM

8 posts, read 23,441 times

Advertisements

Hey all-

We are relocating to the Virginia Beach area from Cali. We want to start shopping around neighborhoods but are clueless.

Location is very flexible but we would like to be near less-crowded beaches; we hope to eventually buy a 4 br or so in the 300- low 400k range.

General Question 1: Which areas have excellent schools (non-negotiable) and nice safe walkable older neighborhoods? Ideally near Trader Joes, restaurants, shopping, etc.

General Question 2: If there are no places that meet the description in Question 1, are there any neo-traditional subdivisions in areas with excellent schools. (The kind of subdivisions with front porches, hidden garages, neo-traditional architecture, community amenities etc.)

Thanks for any info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2007, 05:09 PM

3,255 posts, read 5,085,583 times
I think you may have to go with excellent schools. The only Trader Joe's is across the bridge and tunnel in Newport News, cars are essential here, it is an almost completely suburban area. If you are hoping to walk to the beach, you will not be in a good school district. I was surprised at the area myself when I got here, so I would say look for your schools and then ask your realtor to help you find a neighborhood that suits you. Hope that helps.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:16 PM

5 posts, read 16,092 times
I'm a realtor and was born and raised in the area. Grew up in Norfolk, went off to college and grad school then returned to live, work and play.

I've lived in Norfolk, Virginia Beach, and Chesapeake; my husband has also lived in the Olde Towne section of Portsmouth while he was a bachelor. I've lived in old neighborhoods, new construction, condo, and planned urban communities in the area. From what you describe, you are going to want to tour many neighborhoods throughout the area. One neighborhood that comes to mind in terms of being a walkable neighborhood and walking distance to a quiet, less crowded beach is the Baylake Pines area off Shore Drive. Shore Drive itself has a number of restaurants and marinas and lots of condos that overlook the Chesapeake Bay. It's located centrally between Norfolk and Virginia Beach although it is within the Virginia Beach city limits.

Another very quaint neighborhood with the front porches, new construction, neighborhood pool, trails, kayak launch on the Elizabeth river is in Chesapeake, which would be a commute for you if working in Virginia Beach. Chesapeake is known for its family friendly atmosphere as well as more rural and suburban. You would not be very close to a beach however by hampton roads standards...it's at least a 25 minute drive from the Great Bridge area. As far as schools go, you will want to do the research as well as visit them personally.

In Norfolk, Ghent is a very walkable neighborhood with older homes, many of which are in a historic district. Colley Avenue is the corridor for the resaurants and specialty stores in Ghent along with a well known movie theater icon known as The Naro which shows an ecclectic mix of artsy, edgy, political and english romantic movies. Downtown Norfolk is close to Ghent and has many wonderful restaurants and nightlife. There are excellent private schools throughout the Norfolk area. Hope this helps.

Old 12-03-2007, 09:19 PM

Thanks very much to you both for your thoughtful responses. (The California girl in me is horrified at the idea of only one TJs--it must be mobbed all the time!)

We really want our kids in public schools, but are in a very high quality school district here and I don't want to down grade.

I was hoping to find more of a "small town" location, with a main street shopping area, parks, walk to school, real sidewalks kind of place ...not sure if I'm describing it very well. I guess you know it when you see it!!

Redsox fan, is there a name for the neighborhood you mentioned in Chesapeake, or were you just describing the general area?

Thanks again for the info, really appreciate it!

Old 12-04-2007, 06:05 AM

1,195 posts, read 3,981,513 times
Rumor has it that Trader Joes will open at least two stores in Virginia Beach one is proposed at Landstown Commons

Old 12-04-2007, 01:02 PM

1 posts, read 4,102 times
I too am thinking of relocating from Boston. I like Tidewater Community College on the website, particularly to Chesapeake Campus. Anyone have any opinions of this school? Also, I would be coming with two kids, a second grader and an infant. Any tips/pointers on daycare and jobs?

Where should I not move, I've heard only bad things about Portsmouth, even though the housing prices are wonderful compared to Boston on Realtor.com.

I've also heard that Ocean View(I hope I am remembering right) is a good area to raise kids.

Any help is appreciated, I have to move by Jan 1st.

Old 12-06-2007, 10:27 PM

3,255 posts, read 5,085,583 times
I know the towns you are thinking of, I lived in Atwater CA and Sacramento. I lived in the Northeast where downtown was a norm. They build new town centers here, but they are not organic downtowns, more business centers with restaurants and condos. They remind me of Vegas, where I also have lived.
I have friends who live in the Kempsville area and they love it. Older, established neighborhoods, etc. I have friends who live in the newer suburbs of Chesepeake. Suffolk has a nice little downtown area, as does Hampton, but commutin would be difficult and I have no ideas about the schools. Having raised my kids in the military, we learned how to find the schools and moved to those areas. So our life style was not always what we wanted, but we had the schools.
Hope this helps
I have been told by the TJ people that there are plans but no real estate deals yet. But the mayor of VB is trying to get it here. Yes it is always packed.
Janeann

Old 12-07-2007, 10:24 AM

Thanks so much, Janeann. Off to research Kempsville!

Old 12-13-2007, 07:38 PM

9 posts, read 25,522 times
The new construction community in Chesapeake (described above) is the Preserve on the Elizabeth. Beautful place. $400K- high $700s.

Old 12-18-2007, 06:12 PM

10 posts, read 33,543 times
I'll bite, what is a "Crunchy Mama"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area