Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 07:52 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,760,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSC!! View Post
Furmanpals, do you know if they were fishing for trout? I didn't think there'd be water cold enough that far south. Also, what river were they fishing, Durbin Creek? Thanks
It really was the Reedy River.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 01:47 AM

5,593 posts, read 15,383,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSC!! View Post
Skyliner, outstanding detail! Thanks very much. One more quick question. Seems like all the fly shops in Grnvl are closed down. Where does one shop around here for gear, tippet, flies, etc.? Thanks.
Although I haven't been by this place yet, there is a new small shop in Mountain Rest called Chattooga River Fly Shop.

Depending on the time of year, you can usually find some of the necessities in Greenville at The Sports Authority, Dicks Sporting Goods, or Academy Sports + Outdoor, but I usually stock up at Brookings Outfitters in Cashiers, NC, Yellow Breeches Outfitters in Boiling Springs, PA, and occasionally Ye Olde Fly Shoppe in Carlisle, PA.

Old 05-06-2010, 01:43 PM

41 posts, read 118,267 times
DuPont State Forest (http://www.dupontforest.com/fishing.asp - broken link)

I've some great fly fishing memories from that place.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:53 AM

241 posts, read 386,994 times
Default access to trout habitat enhancement area on saluda

Hi all,

Reviving an old thread here.

Last year there was a trout habitat enhancement project on the saluda near HWY 11. Does anyone know how to access the area where they put in the new rock vanes? I don't want to park on private property.

Thanks!

Old 03-04-2013, 12:44 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,294,697 times
There are multiple access points - most of them marked. There is one access point on land owned by the SC DNR. It is behind a gate with parking near the road. Signs there designate it as SCDNR.

There is also access on private property that is marked as open to the public with small signs.

There are some grumpy landowners in that area but they have marked their property extensively with NO TRESPASSING signs.

Street view of SC DNR access (you can close the street view to see the map):

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=marie...12,186.16,,0,0

Street view of access on private land (note the sign and the guy fishing in the background):
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=marie...2.92,,0,0&z=18

Last edited by WhitewaterVol; 03-04-2013 at 12:46 PM.. Reason: correct link

Old 03-04-2013, 01:28 PM

241 posts, read 386,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VolstuckinNC View Post
There are multiple access points - most of them marked. There is one access point on land owned by the SC DNR. It is behind a gate with parking near the road. Signs there designate it as SCDNR.

There is also access on private property that is marked as open to the public with small signs.

There are some grumpy landowners in that area but they have marked their property extensively with NO TRESPASSING signs.

Street view of SC DNR access (you can close the street view to see the map):

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=marie...12,186.16,,0,0

Street view of access on private land (note the sign and the guy fishing in the background):
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=marie...2.92,,0,0&z=18
Very helpful. Thank you.

Old 01-12-2015, 12:53 PM

3 posts, read 7,067 times
I just moved here from Erie Pa. and I don't seem to be able to have someone show me some places to fly fish here near Mauldin SC, I can't do a lot of walking in the woods to get to the stream, I can walk in the stream, but up an down hill through the woods I just can't do.
People tell me there are places close to me but their directions are really a joke, so if anyone could let me know were I can do some fly fishing ( NEAR MAULDIN SC ) would you please do so, thank you.

Signed
I want to fly fish.

Old 01-12-2015, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james49 View Post
I just moved here from Erie Pa. and I don't seem to be able to have someone show me some places to fly fish here near Mauldin SC, I can't do a lot of walking in the woods to get to the stream, I can walk in the stream, but up an down hill through the woods I just can't do.
People tell me there are places close to me but their directions are really a joke, so if anyone could let me know were I can do some fly fishing ( NEAR MAULDIN SC ) would you please do so, thank you.

Signed
I want to fly fish.
How close to Mauldin are you talking about? Most good fly fishing is going to be in the mountains or foothills. If you are looking for something within 15-20 minutes of Mauldin, the quality of the stream is likely to be less than ideal.

Last edited by WhitewaterVol; 01-12-2015 at 01:30 PM..

Old 01-12-2015, 01:52 PM

3 posts, read 7,067 times
That doesn't tell me much, I want to do some fly fishing, and I can't do a lot of walking to get to the water- do you mean to tell me there is no place around Mauldin SC that a man can do some fly fishing?

Old 01-12-2015, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james49 View Post
That doesn't tell me much, I want to do some fly fishing, and I can't do a lot of walking to get to the water- do you mean to tell me there is no place around Mauldin SC that a man can do some fly fishing?
How close to Mauldin do you need to be? Within 15-20 minutes you won't find much of anything worthwhile.

Expand out to an hour drive and there are a bunch of places, many of them described in this thread.

Expand out to 2 hours and you will find some world class fly fishing.

Some of these spots are right by the side of the road (South Saluda, one Eastatoee spot).

Hard to give advice with a non-specific request of "near Mauldin" - please give an amount of time you are willing to drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area