Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 10:28 PM

6 posts, read 55,104 times

Advertisements

We were thinking about moving to syracuse NY but have changed our minds .

We now live in Simpsonville SC and are planning on moving to Piedmont to be in Wren school district . I was told this was a very good district verse simpsonville schools like Bryson middle and Hillcrest whih my child is in now. I am not happy with it but just not sure if it will be the same everywhere? I have never heard of Not having toliet paper and soap dispensers in the schools due to violent children tearing it down. This is what I was told by the school it is there policy.
So does anyone have any info on either simpsonville or living in Piedmont to be in the good school district ? Please help...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2007, 08:36 AM

55 posts, read 237,708 times
Simpsonville has an award winning district with Oakview Elementary (National Blue Ribbon Award recipient for superior academics), Beck Middle, not a particular standout, but not a bad school either with 33% of the students scoring above average on the standardized tests, nearly half of the teachers holding a masters degree or higher, and the recipient of the SCASA School of Promise award and the PTA Parent Involvement School of Excellence award. And JL Mann highschool has a 97.7% exit exam passing rate, they recieved the Palmetto Gold award for academic excellence, and they recieved a report card rating of "Excellent".

Old 01-11-2007, 08:18 PM

I just heard Wren school district is where everyone wants to be.. anyone have children in middle or high school in the Wren distict? Please give imput . Thanks

Old 01-12-2007, 08:17 PM

So if WREN is not the best in the upstate Greenville area Which middle /High school is ? We thought Wren was rated top in SC ?? I guess that was wrong info ? We are looking to move out of Simpsonville it is not for us.. But where ??? to Stay in the immediate area since my husband is working in Piedmont.

Old 01-12-2007, 09:11 PM

55 posts, read 237,708 times
In Greenville, the Sara Collins Elementary, Beck Middle, and JL Mann district is a great one. There is also the Duncan Chapel Elementary (home of the 2004-2005 Greenville County Teacher of the Year), Northwest Middle (One of twelve 2006 Palmetto's Finest finalists), and Travelers Rest High School (Winner of the Palmetto Gold award, an award winning band and cheering squad, home to a College and Career center, they offer college credit courses, and vocational training). There are other schools that have been named winners of the Palmetto Gold award in Greenville county such as Hillcrest High, Mauldin High, Eastside High, Blue Ridge High, Riverside High, Woodmont High, Greenville High, JL Mann High, Blythe Academy (Middle School), Pelham Road Elementary, Buena Vista Elementary, Oakview Elementary, and Bell's Crossing Elementary. All are great schools to consider.

Hope that helps.

Old 01-13-2007, 08:05 AM

I was told Wren school district is where everyone wants to be .. why is that ?? I had told a real estate agent this and they said it is very hard to find a home in the wren district because prices are so high due to this district.
I am lookiing for a school with not a lot of harrasments, bullying, the school should have a good rating on teaching. It is hard these days and I know I am looking for a lot and may have to look into private schools .I guess before I go to the private and pay money i cannot really afford I was thinking I should try the schools in the country like easley /piedmont to see if the kids there are bulies etc . My daughters grades have come down dueto this . I have tried to get her to just stand up for herself but she is not a fighter. But the all like to start with her . So I wish they would address on school ratings there fighting records etc but I know that would not make sense but would help us parents choose a area. I realize I am asking for a lot but if I can just get one part of what I am looking for I will be happy. That was why I was looking into Wren district . Have you had experience or know somebody in this district?

Old 01-13-2007, 08:23 AM

90 posts, read 443,152 times
We live in the Wren district. Anderson co. Dist 1. This is the 'best of the best' if you want a good, quality education in Anderson Co. Wren has won award after award for their education program(s). They are also a part of the 'No Child Left Behind' act. I have no idea about 'bully' situations at any of the 3 schools. You'd just have to call them and schedule a visit and walk the halls, talk to teachers and find out for yourself what thier tolerance policies are and if they work for you.

My husband is a builder and he had two homes going up in the area of Wren and we decided to move out here because we wanted our kids to go to district #1. We had friends out here and heard nothing but 'good' about the schools and moved from Taylors to Easley. There are new neighborhoods going up all over the place. You just have to get out and ride and see what areas you can afford and like, etc. The neighborhood we are in is small and has about 20 houses. We're in a $250-300K range. There are houses for sale (that I pass daily) that are less expensive than that and more expensive than that. It just depends on your price range. Houses are not so bad around Wren, that I have found. Everything is in our price range. Best suggestion: get out and ride the area and take a look around. Most houses around here are listed with Coldwell Banker and C. Dan Joyner. My husband has used both companies to sell his new homes, so we have had good experiences with both. Also, both are online and have excellent web sites. C. Dan Joyner, especially. There are a lot of houses for sale around here. New and older. This is a fine community and it would take a lot for me to leave here. I've lived all over Greenville and finally found a place I really want to call 'home.'

Old 01-13-2007, 11:04 AM

1,518 posts, read 6,691,729 times
I checked on realtor.com and input Piedmont as my location of choice. I also chose 4 bedrooms minimum. There were several homes that came up under $100,000 and a lot under $200,000. Not all were Wren school district, but they were all Piedmont addresses (with the same Zip codes).

Old 01-13-2007, 04:20 PM

1 posts, read 9,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawne View Post
I checked on realtor.com and input Piedmont as my location of choice. I also chose 4 bedrooms minimum. There were several homes that came up under $100,000 and a lot under $200,000. Not all were Wren school district, but they were all Piedmont addresses (with the same Zip codes).
Piedmont has one zip code. Residences are in both Anderson and Greenville Counties. Taxes are slightly lower in Anderson County. All Anderson County District 1 schools are in Anderson County(Wren, Powdersville and Palmetto), however the Wren and Powdersville schools may have Piedmont, Greenvillle, Easley and a few other zipcodes.

Old 01-17-2007, 08:13 PM

I have looked into the wren schools and have found there to be no afterschool care . I am very surprised and disappointed since this is something needed since we both work and do not want our child home alone . We drove out to easley / powdersville area it is for sure country living that would have to be getting use to.
We moved here from Florida and moved to Simpsonville which I really liked because of all the new stores and strip malls etc Belks ..
I love having everything at my fingertips and the people are so nice around here
but my husband is a country man so there is a struggle on what location to choose .
I have address the situation with the Simpsonville schools and it is not as bad as what I thought and was presumed to think .

We have changed our minds and ARE staying in Simpsonville now.
I was just told by a investor / realtor Simpsonville homes are in a growing area and to sell now would be crazy since prices are going up in the next two years and if I sell now I will not make much of a profit but waiting and hanging on to the house for the next two years Then I would make a lot more profit. I may think about getting a investment home in simpsonville now to sell in two years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area