Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 03:42 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,211,675 times

Advertisements

My assistant at work came in yesterday railing about the fact that she couldn't complete her shopping at the Pickens Walmart super center and had to make an extra trip to Bilo, now that's bad!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2018, 06:02 PM

4,600 posts, read 6,014,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckee16 View Post
My assistant at work came in yesterday railing about the fact that she couldn't complete her shopping at the Pickens Walmart super center and had to make an extra trip to Bilo, now that's bad!
I know what she means. I have about quit going to the Walmart Neighborhood market closest to my house because they are always out of stock on items I consistently buy and I end up going to the nearby Publix anyway. WM really has a restocking problem IMO.

Old 08-22-2018, 08:30 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,239,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfranklin View Post
hopefully, this will force the awful Bi-Lo in Powedersville to close
Powdersville needs (and can easily support) a Publix
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
I can't imagine that Bi-Lo surviving for very long. They can't compete against the product selection and service departments in the new Ingles and they can't compete with Walmart on price.

Powdersville could easily support a Publix. With this new Ingles, I don't think you can say they really need one anymore, though. As an example, I like to cook Korean food and previously had to go to a specialty market or order off of Amazon to get Go Chu Jang (red pepper paste) and Korean pepper flakes. This new Ingles has 4 (!) kinds of Go Chu Jang and they have the red pepper flakes as well as a wide variety of other Asian cooking items. The cafe in the new Ingles is also quite impressive with pretty much a full Starbucks inside which will compete for business with the Coyote Coffee down the street. The beer and wine selection are also quite impressive. This new Ingles is nicer than the Publix in Easley by a fair margin. I haven't been in a newer Publix store so I don't know what their new store model looks like to make a fair comparison.
BI-LO will have fewer stores in operation in the future. Some stores will close. Specific stores could be divested.

Publix is due for a store in Powdersville. Could it acquire BI-LO #5568, or should it construct a new store?

More customers from the White Horse Road and Dunean areas in Greenville County have been commuting to Powdersville to shop as stores have closed.

Old 08-22-2018, 09:40 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,291,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
BI-LO will have fewer stores in operation in the future. Some stores will close. Specific stores could be divested.

Publix is due for a store in Powdersville. Could it acquire BI-LO #5568, or should it construct a new store?

More customers from the White Horse Road and Dunean areas in Greenville County have been commuting to Powdersville to shop as stores have closed.

Wasn't the current Bi-Lo location a Winn Dixie many years ago? I don't remember if they tore down the old shopping center or just did a remodel. That is a fairly good location with a lot of visibility from SC 153 and additional entrances from 2 side roads with red lights. I think the poor performance of that Bi Lo is more related to it being a tired old store than the location. Publix would probably do well there but they will need to up their game to really compete with that new Ingles.

Powdersville could also support a store like an Aldi or Lidl. It looks like Lidl is slowing down their US expansion plans so they seem unlikely. The closest Aldi locations are the ones on S Pleasantburg and the one in Easley. The S Pleasantburg store isn't very convenient to Powdersville and the Aldi in Easley is in a poor location for ingress / egress.

Old 08-22-2018, 10:46 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,239,632 times
Yes, BI-LO #5568 was previously a Winn-Dixie. I think it was Winn-Dixie #1226.

Old 08-22-2018, 12:24 PM

You are partly right.WD 1226 was an old, small free standing store from the 70's.The building was knocked down to build what was then a pretty impressive new BiLo, but falls short by todays standards.

WD 1226 always had a terrible fly problem because of the dairy farm right behind the store.They had to fog the store every day in the summer when most stores only fogged once or twice a week.

Old 09-06-2018, 03:35 PM

I went in the Powdersville BiLo today at 4:15.There were exactly 18 customers in the entire store.I counted!

Old 09-07-2018, 06:51 AM

Quote:
I went in the Powdersville BiLo today at 4:15.There were exactly 18 customers in the entire store.I counted!
I'm surprised there were that many customers in there. As usual, the Ingles parking lot was almost completely full at 5:30. They have had a few issues with being out of stock with sales items but are doing a pretty good job overall with keeping up with the increased level of business.

I noticed yesterday that the old Ingles store has now been reduced to a rubble pile. They are certainly moving quickly to clear off that space. Hopefully they will add some additional parking on the site of the old store - it is needed.

Old 10-03-2018, 03:19 PM

In P'ville Bilo today at 4:30. There were a total of 13 customers in the whole store.The deli was dark on locked down tight.The place had the stench of death all over it.

Old 10-04-2018, 07:40 AM

Quote:
In P'ville Bilo today at 4:30. There were a total of 13 customers in the whole store.The deli was dark on locked down tight.The place had the stench of death all over it.
I haven't been in that store in a couple of years due to it being so dirty the last time I shopped there. The parking lot is almost always nearly empty.

I did go into the Walmart Supercenter for the first time in a couple of weeks (needed something from the hardware section). As usual, they were out of a couple of grocery items I needed so I ended up going to Ingles anyway. That Walmart seems to be constantly out of stock not just on single items but entire categories of items.

The Ingles parking lot was, as usual, almost completely full. They have had some issues keeping items stocked but seem to do a pretty good job considering the high level of business they do out of that store. Hopefully the good response will help support remodels of other stores in the Greenville area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area