Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2015, 01:35 PM

42 posts, read 73,379 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are considering a relocation to Greenville, SC. We live in San Diego, CA and as such, driving is part of our life...and outside of traffic, it is not a big issue. Our relocation would, ideally, take us to the surrounding areas, most likely to the north, east or west, of Greenville. As we do not have children and my work is home based, we are quite flexible.

How have those of you who live outside of the city find the commute into town, considering the traffic and winter weather. By outside of town, I am thinking:

Cleveland, Slater-Marietta, Pumpkintown, Pickens, Six Mile, Seneca, Landrum, Tigerville, Northlake...etc.

I know the Cleveland area is around 20 miles from Greenville so that is a nice ballpark distance. Perhaps upwards of 30 miles is fine.Would love to hear your thoughts and experiences.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2015, 02:04 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,291,914 times
When you talk about Cleveland, Travelers Rest, and points north of Greenville, distance isn't the issue as much as the fact that there isn't a good route. Traveling into Greenville from that direction is going to put you on a 4 lane road with a TON of synchronized red lights. That 20 mile commute is likely to take you 35-40 minutes. Compared to San Diego, it'll probably be a walk in the park.

Pickens would be a similar time and distance but a large part of the drive from Pickens to downtown Greenville will be on a rural 2 lane road.

Six Mile is getting pretty far out. Probably more like 45 minutes, with about half of it on a part of US123 that is a 4 lane freeway (no red lights) and half of it on US123 where it is clogged with red lights and businesses along the Easley "bypass".

Seneca is a long drive to Greenville - at least an hour.

Landrum is also pretty far out. The first 2/3 of that would be on a rural hwy 14 and then the end would be on US29, which is clogged with red lights.

Since you can work from home, the commute might not be a daily thing and that might make it less of an issue. If you need high speed internet, that might be something to check availability of for some of the more rural spots on your list.

If I may ask, what are you looking for in a new location? Do you want to be near the mountains? Are there certain activities you enjoy? Do you have certain stores that you want to be located near for shopping, etc.?

Why would you be driving into Greenville? Just for shopping or would your wife be looking for employment in Greenville?

Old 10-30-2015, 02:26 PM

42 posts, read 73,379 times
Good questions and thank you for your response.

The nature of my work, which is from home, is commuting in nature. I would be covering all areas in upstate SC, so my distance to Greenville is only important in that a percentage of my commute would be to that location specifically, plus we would see it as the 'main hub' for our shopping needs, medical care, etc. No particular stores are important, nor is being close to them. You do bring up a good point on high speed internet, for that is something I will need. I will have to search for information on that or post that as a separate question (unless folks are kind enough to chime in here).

As for what we are looking for, generally speaking, would include by water and/or mountain views/higher elevation. Not interested in HOA's or golfing. A home built pre-1980's would be best (a mid-century ranch home is ideal). Need not live in the wilderness, but city living or suburbia is not our thing (been there, done that). Activates are varied, mostly centered on hoping in the car and 'exploring'. Wife would like something by a lake and it seems going west toward Seneca would make that more likely......

Old 10-30-2015, 07:36 PM

32 posts, read 34,434 times
My husband and I have been planning a move to the area for some time. Originally we planned on the Greenville area and all it offers. Now, we have decided we want to be closer to or on a lake and will be bringing our pontoon boat with us. Just spent the past month with two trips down to the area. We now think we are targeting either Lake Keowee in the Seneca area or Lake Hartwell, outside Anderson. Love those areas but disappointed to be further from Greenville. Wish I could be helpful to you but we are having the same issues. Good luck.
Kate

Old 11-01-2015, 12:06 AM

5,999 posts, read 7,097,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sartana View Post
My wife and I are considering a relocation to Greenville, SC. We live in San Diego, CA and as such, driving is part of our life...and outside of traffic, it is not a big issue. Our relocation would, ideally, take us to the surrounding areas, most likely to the north, east or west, of Greenville. As we do not have children and my work is home based, we are quite flexible.

How have those of you who live outside of the city find the commute into town, considering the traffic and winter weather. By outside of town, I am thinking:

Cleveland, Slater-Marietta, Pumpkintown, Pickens, Six Mile, Seneca, Landrum, Tigerville, Northlake...etc.

I know the Cleveland area is around 20 miles from Greenville so that is a nice ballpark distance. Perhaps upwards of 30 miles is fine.Would love to hear your thoughts and experiences.....
We moved here from Socal 8 years ago; traffic is a non issue here compared to there. However, as another poster said, there's no freeway/interstate access from many parts of the county, i.e. no northern loop to connect TR or Taylors or the Blue Ridge side of Greer to Greenville, all surface roads, and many 1 lane each way.

Old 11-01-2015, 04:37 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,758,484 times
FYI. For those that live north of Greenville, why do you punish yourself by driving into downtown by way of Poinsett Hwy? Simply take Old Buncombe all the way into the city. This route saves you the time and headache of going through the Cherrydale area.

Old 11-02-2015, 12:56 PM

411 posts, read 853,320 times
Agreed. The problem with Greenville is that it is growing too fast for the current infrastructure. All the main arteries into the city are clogged. I live in Greer and commute 11 miles into Greenville every morning along Hwy 29. It's not like big city hellacious, but it's still stupid. In the past year, the amount of cars on the road has at least doubled (if not more). When I first moved to the area 4 years ago, I could get from Greer to my work on No. Pleasantburg in 20 minutes. These days it's closer to 30 minutes. I know that's laughable to big city folks, but I HATE IT.

Another issue to consider is the timing of the red lights. SCDOT engineer assigned to Greenville must be a colossal idiot because NONE of the lights are synchronized, particularly on Hwy 29 and then onto N. Pleasantburg (towards 385). I've never seen such ridiculousness in my life--and I've lived in Atlanta!

But with all that being said--this will all depend on when you hit the road. If you are in the 8:30 to 9:00 range, things move a lot better.

As for areas--take a look at Blue Ridge. It is near Greer, so you have proximity to all the conveniences but still have a lot of open area and a nice view of mountains. Pickens is OK. They are working hard on their downtown. They do have a Wal-Mart, so there's that. It's a pretty small town otherwise. There is one two lane highway and one four lane highway from Pickens to Greenville, so that would work for you in terms of getting out.

Good luck!

Old 11-22-2015, 08:26 PM

105 posts, read 107,645 times
Agree..stupid traffic patterns, un synchronized red lights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area