Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 04:21 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,539,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
Amazon's deal failed because of the state, it was not what happened with Columbia.
As in most states, the use of the term "Columbia" (or insert your state's capital here) is shorthand for the state government.

Personally, I'm glad they did what they did in the Amazon case. I'm all for incentives, as long it's a "cents for dollars" deal - that is, the state gives or waives fees/taxes that amount to "cents" in comparison to the "dollars" that the prospective business would contribute to the state's bottom line in other ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 04:25 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,546,476 times
New jobs coming to the area is great. But what remains to be seen is whether or not they are going to pay a livable wage. If not then their presence does little to help the local economy.

I say *Show Me The Money*!

Old 05-12-2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
New jobs coming to the area is great. But what remains to be seen is whether or not they are going to pay a livable wage. If not then their presence does little to help the local economy.

Don't forget or discount the spinoff effect - vendors and contractors that will benefit, creating their own jobs that may well pay more than those at the facility itself. Plus, this company makes it a point (much like Whole Foods) to source as many ingredients locally as possible, helping local natural/organic farms, of which there are a surprising number.

Old 05-12-2011, 04:59 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,788,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
One that advertises itself as such is American Grocery Restaurant in the West End.

Here's a more extensive list from Slow Food Upstate: Upstate S.C. Restaurants - Slow Food Upstate (http://www.slowfoodupstate.com/upstaterestaurantsfarms.htm - broken link)
"Extensive?" You mean the three others. And they aren't farm to table (except AGR, but who can afford that on a regular basis?). There is barely an entree under $20 between the four of these restaurants.

If you want an "extensive" list, check this out: Farm to Table Restaurants | Asheville, NC's Official Tourism Web Site

Old 05-12-2011, 05:02 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,609,760 times
Quote:
As in most states, the use of the term "Columbia" (or insert your state's capital here) is shorthand for the state government.

Personally, I'm glad they did what they did in the Amazon case. I'm all for incentives, as long it's a "cents for dollars" deal - that is, the state gives or waives fees/taxes that amount to "cents" in comparison to the "dollars" that the prospective business would contribute to the state's bottom line in other ways.
If it was his intent to blame the state government, then I agree. But, there is a thread blaming Columbia, not the state. His statement seemed to suggest Columbia.

Old 05-12-2011, 05:04 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,609,760 times
Quote:

Will they pay similar wages as the Stouffers Plant in Gaffney? Anyone know what they pay in Gaffney?

Old 05-12-2011, 05:09 PM

5,590 posts, read 15,371,404 times
Quote:

Aren't you the person who bemoaned the Sara Lee closure? This will be positive for the local economy because workers (many of which may be currently unemployed) will have a steady flow of income, regardless of the amount. They will spend a significant portion of that income here in the Upstate.

Old 05-12-2011, 05:33 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,445,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
Aren't you the person who bemoaned the Sara Lee closure? This will be positive for the local economy because workers (many of which may be currently unemployed) will have a steady flow of income, regardless of the amount. They will spend a significant portion of that income here in the Upstate.
IMHO, anything coming to town to fill existing, vacant buildings is a huge plus. Having lived in a place which saw buildings torn down/blown up, and never replaced with new businesses for decades on end I can appreciate a company coming to town and filling up an older manufacturing/warehouse space.

A site like this further diversifies the local economy, and helps the whole.

Old 05-12-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRoarke View Post
IMHO, anything coming to town to fill existing, vacant buildings is a huge plus. Having lived in a place which saw buildings torn down/blown up, and never replaced with new businesses for decades on end I can appreciate a company coming to town and filling up an older manufacturing/warehouse space.

A site like this further diversifies the local economy, and helps the whole.
Adaptive re-use is what it's all about!

Old 05-12-2011, 06:04 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,856,042 times
Quote:
Adaptive re-use is what it's all about!
Adaptive re-use AND the fact it is a premium brand, the fastest growing in the organic industry, with facilities in Sonoma, Oregon, the UK and now Greenville. Premium organic brands don't just plop down in any old city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area