Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 05:47 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,999,223 times

Advertisements

I guess "abusing the system" would be going to the emergency room when a "doc in the box" would do. You know, for a cold, or non-emergency problem. That really does hike the prices for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2008, 05:55 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,212,370 times
I suggest a simple model. The government pays all health care costs. Everyone gets the appropriate care and the government pays.

the government collects the offseting amount in taxes.

The result should be an improvement in health care and a lowering of the cost of health care.

As to proof of these we have 19 other western countries. These countries have lower over all health care costs and lower child mortality rates and higher life expectancies.

Once we get the basic system in place we can start arguing about the delivery mechanisms and whether employers pay and doctors salaries and how much co-pay if any and the right to pay a premium for non-covered or exceptional service.

Old 10-26-2008, 05:59 PM

274 posts, read 606,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
The result should be an improvement in health care and a lowering of the cost of health care.

As to proof of these we have 19 other western countries. These countries have lower over all health care costs and lower child mortality rates and higher life expectancies.
I love how everyone always points to Canada to show how "socialized health care" would fail...because of course, NO OTHER country has "socialized health care".

Old 10-26-2008, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
I guess "abusing the system" would be going to the emergency room when a "doc in the box" would do. You know, for a cold, or non-emergency problem. That really does hike the prices for everyone.
Well then wouldn't those who HAVE health insurance "abuse the system"? It doesn't make sense to me that those who don't have insurance (or sh*t insurance like me) would actually go to see a doc for every little thing if they cannot afford it.

Old 10-26-2008, 07:29 PM

609 posts, read 1,175,194 times
the fact is that once the government touches stuff, it ruins it. im from canada and its true the wieght times are enormous. but is this due to government regulations?? helll no.

its due to a lack of doctors and as some people said, seeing a doctor for no reason. that is why we now have in ontario "telehealth". a phone number to call for minor things in which trained nurses anwer question. this has limited the "quick visits" that many people make for minor crap like colds.

the point is if the government paid for all healthcare, but left it the same, wouldnt there be no problem?? if the government simply reimbursed the doctors, a minor system would ahve to be put in place. instead of some giant government run, slow and unstable system.

that way everyone gets it.. the fact that people dont ahve that absic right in america shocks me. being a canadian ive never had to worry about "oh can i afford to go to the doctors for that"

Old 10-26-2008, 07:47 PM

Yep, I never go to the doc's unless I can afford it. I'm grateful for med/dental schools that have cheap clinics.

Old 10-26-2008, 07:57 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,200,867 times
The only way to regulate the cost of health care would be to regulate the cost of income of all health care providers. Do we really even want to go there as a free country? Would it be worth it? Would we want the government of any other private agency telling us what doctor we are assigned to, what care we are qualified to get and when we will receive that care based on a probably waiting list?

Before we whine....we need to consider the end result.

And I am saying this as a person who can not afford dental care and desperately needs it. At the end of the day....I would prefer my freedom regardless of it I have to die with bad teeth.

Old 10-27-2008, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
The only way to regulate the cost of health care would be to regulate the cost of income of all health care providers. Do we really even want to go there as a free country? Would it be worth it? Would we want the government of any other private agency telling us what doctor we are assigned to, what care we are qualified to get and when we will receive that care based on a probably waiting list?

Before we whine....we need to consider the end result.

And I am saying this as a person who can not afford dental care and desperately needs it. At the end of the day....I would prefer my freedom regardless of it I have to die with bad teeth.
i have no clue what you are talking about an "assigned doctor". it doesnt work like that in france, and it doesnt work like that in Canada. you choose a family doctor, for consistency, but you can swap or change at any time.

would you want to go there are a free country?? i thought that the United states was the only developed country that doesnt have universal healthcare, i might be wrong though. freedom has nothing to do with it.

the " waiting list" has to do with a shortage of doctors and over visits.. theres plenty of countries with government controled healthcare and it works fine.

what freedom are you talking about?? i honestly have no clue what you are talking about. people have a "right" to get medical attention. freedom is completely irrelevant here

Old 10-27-2008, 07:34 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,117,544 times
I think the govenment should check out the universal health care in other countries, talk to the people who rely on it, identify the major problems, iron them out and set up a system for health care to be paid by taxes. One of the things they could do is pay for medical school with the student signing a contract to practice in a certain location at a certain salary for a specified length of time. It could also work like the school system, with everyone paying taxes to support the system yet free to pay for additional health care or go to a doctor that is not in the system if that is what they want. I am sure that there is a system out there that works. I do not want to see the medical system be regulated by the government, but as it stands there are a lot of people out there who cannot afford health care or insurance. I do not want anyone denied health care because they cannot pay for it and that is happening more and more. The rock and the hard place.

Old 10-27-2008, 07:38 AM

and with the economy and times getting tougher, does anyone actually believe its going to get easier to pay for healthcare?? of course not
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates