Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2017, 09:19 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,065,539 times

Advertisements

Michigan's median income is up and poverty is down, new Census data shows | MLive.com

Long one of the negative arguments associated with Grand Rapids has been that it's average income statistic performs poorly against peer metros. Census released the 2016 income numbers showing average income in Kent County going from $54k in 2015 to almost 60k in 2016. Ottawa County average income grew to 61k.

I have long said that the metro wide average income has been diluted by the rural counties added to the MSA. When you look at the 2 core counties of Kent and Ottawa which together comprise more than 900k people you have a median income of $60k. Income in the area grew faster than the national average(expected). I'm looking for data to show how W. Mich is doing compared to peer metros. The historically lagging wages are representative of the union anemic, manufacturing heavy economy that's been legacy to the area. The lions share of job growth over the past 10 years has been in STEM/Professional sectors, which have salaries at the wage threshold you typically want to see in an area. I expect the area to continue to see it's average income catch up to other metros in the coming years. Especially if the job market stays in it's current pattern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2017, 03:36 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Michigan's median income is up and poverty is down, new Census data shows | MLive.com

Long one of the negative arguments associated with Grand Rapids has been that it's average income statistic performs poorly against peer metros. Census released the 2016 income numbers showing average income in Kent County going from $54k in 2015 to almost 60k in 2016. Ottawa County average income grew to 61k.

I have long said that the metro wide average income has been diluted by the rural counties added to the MSA. When you look at the 2 core counties of Kent and Ottawa which together comprise more than 900k people you have a median income of $60k. Income in the area grew faster than the national average(expected). I'm looking for data to show how W. Mich is doing compared to peer metros. The historically lagging wages are representative of the union anemic, manufacturing heavy economy that's been legacy to the area. The lions share of job growth over the past 10 years has been in STEM/Professional sectors, which have salaries at the wage threshold you typically want to see in an area. I expect the area to continue to see it's average income catch up to other metros in the coming years. Especially if the job market stays in it's current pattern.
Is that median income or median household income? I assume the latter. Good news if it's not just more adult age children living at home.

Old 12-19-2017, 07:47 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,065,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Is that median income or median household income? I assume the latter. Good news if it's not just more adult age children living at home.
I don't think it's just more adult age children living at home. I think it has to do with demand for workers driving wages up, combined with the work force that's moving into the area being more educated and entering higher wage positions. The below article suggests actual wage increases, and not just "household consolidation".

Wages in West Michigan are going up, employment group says | MLive.com

Old 12-20-2017, 07:14 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,854,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Median income. It was a survey of over 300 local businesses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
View detailed profiles of: