Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 01:01 AM

1 posts, read 6,486 times

Advertisements

Hello !

I am evaluating possible job at MCLB Albany, GA. Can anyone provide some useful information on area ?

Thanks,

Daniela
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 08:24 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,033,893 times
Albany is a hole..
cost of living is cheap... there's a reason why.
3 cities to avoid in Georgia: Albany, Augusta, Macon

Old 01-14-2008, 02:11 PM

602 posts, read 1,962,203 times
MCLB is apparently not a bad place to work. The problem is that Albany is, as DisgustaSucks says, a hole. A lot of employers (other than MCLB) have closed up and left here b/c they flat CANNOT get employees who will work. The majority of the "workforce" here is sullen and absolutely unwilling to do anything but fight, lay out of work, and give attitude. (This is not MY opinion; it's the consensus of several business owners/managers I've spoken with here.) So working at MCLB wouldn't be a problem, but trying to eat out, shop, or do anything in Albany would be.

Old 01-16-2008, 05:27 AM

64 posts, read 333,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniela View Post
Hello !

I am evaluating possible job at MCLB Albany, GA. Can anyone provide some useful information on area ?

Thanks,

Daniela
The Marine Base would be a good place to work. If you are young there a lot of benefits for a long term employee.
I live near Albany and it's not all that bad. Or live South of Albany in one of the smaller towns. There are areas of Albany you should stay away from but unless you are looking to buy some crack you have no need to go there anyway. There is good and bad everywhere. If you have a problem with race then it's about 50/50 Black/White. I am White and when I see a Black person all I see is a fellow AMERICAN.

Old 01-16-2008, 10:26 AM

Default How lovely for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boydawg View Post
The Marine Base would be a good place to work. If you are young there a lot of benefits for a long term employee.
I live near Albany and it's not all that bad. Or live South of Albany in one of the smaller towns. There are areas of Albany you should stay away from but unless you are looking to buy some crack you have no need to go there anyway. There is good and bad everywhere. If you have a problem with race then it's about 50/50 Black/White. I am White and when I see a Black person all I see is a fellow AMERICAN.
The mix is actually 65% black/35% white, per several websites on Albany. And that is not a problem where *I* am concerned, and never has been. When we moved here I WANTED to see everyone else as a "fellow AMERICAN", but when you're white here, YOU ARE NOT SEEN THAT WAY; you are seen as the enemy.

Old 01-16-2008, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlourChild View Post
The mix is actually 65% black/35% white, per several websites on Albany. And that is not a problem where *I* am concerned, and never has been. When we moved here I WANTED to see everyone else as a "fellow AMERICAN", but when you're white here, YOU ARE NOT SEEN THAT WAY; you are seen as the enemy.
I understand what you mean and to some extent I agree with you.
The figures you quote are for the "town" of Albany. The outer areas are not so bad. If I was a young man and had a chance to get a good job at the Marine Base I would take it. Live South of Albany, it's an easy drive to Camilla or East to Sylvester, or North to the Lake Blackshear area.
You don't need to live in Albany to work in Albany.

Old 01-16-2008, 02:59 PM

No, you can live in Leesburg, Sylvester, Bronwood, etc., and still work in Albany...but my point was that you will probably have to shop, eat out, and so forth in Albany, and when you do, you get your order thrown at you, or when you walk up to the register to pay, the cashier looks at you for a minute and LEAVES.

Old 01-17-2008, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlourChild View Post
No, you can live in Leesburg, Sylvester, Bronwood, etc., and still work in Albany...but my point was that you will probably have to shop, eat out, and so forth in Albany, and when you do, you get your order thrown at you, or when you walk up to the register to pay, the cashier looks at you for a minute and LEAVES.
I go to Albany at least once or twice a week and I have never had anyone treat me that way. Prehaps it is YOU ?
I would suggest Daniela go to Albany and go to some stores around the mall, go the grocery store, go to a resturant and see if anyone throws food at you.

Old 01-17-2008, 07:06 AM

Heh. Nope, it isn't me. About 90% of the other people I've talked to here have had the same experience. We make a point of being courteous and nice to servers, because they're in prolonged contact with OUR FOOD, so it isn't as though there's a reason to be beeyotchy. And I can tell you that it isn't every store/restaurant. Zaxby's on Pointe North is good, as is the Piggly Wiggly on Meredyth/Westover, but that's pretty much it.

Old 02-01-2008, 01:52 PM

1 posts, read 6,253 times
Default Albany 411

I've worked here at the Marine Corps Logistics Base for right at 23 yrs. Lived in Albany all my life and I'm 47. If you don't have kids you'll be fine. Public schools are awful and not many choices of private schools. Cost of living is cheap. We have Wally-World and most of the other big name department stores. One movie theater. As sad as it is racism is very much still present here. Both from whites and blacks. It's not everywhere you go though. If you treat everyone you meet the same, like we all should, you won't have a problem. I'm white and have never in my entire life had any serious problems. It's just like any town you go to. It's all about how you handle yourself. Albany has the biggest hospital within 100 mile radius with the most updated technology out there. One of the nicest things about Albany to me is if you want big city shopping Tallahassee is only 90 miles away. Atlanta is about 3 hrs away. The gulf is about 2 1/2 hrs away, (PanamaCity Fla) and the coast of Ga is just a little farther. My point is Albany is geographically located in the center of many great places that don't take long to get to BUT we're far enough away so we don't have to worry about hurricanes, traffic jams (from one side of town to the other,15-20 mins max), snow blizzards, any of that. If you can deal with the heat and the skeeters you'll do fine. Come check us out at the base and I'll give you the nickle tour of the town. Take about 30 mins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia