Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2007, 03:33 PM

30 posts, read 74,015 times

Advertisements

Husband is looking at a job in Camilla, GA. I have tried to research a little on the net and am only finding bad things said about Albany ? But I am not finding much else that would not be more than a 35 mile commute for him. Thomasville & Moultrie seem a little too small for our tastes. We dont need something as big as Albany, but I also dont want to have to drive 40 miles to get to everything other than WalMart. Does anyone have any suggestions ? As far as crime goes, we live in Sumter, SC, which has a crime index of 820 and in 2004 was rated the highest crime in a metro area, but we have had no problems at all and in fact all the crime seems to be concentrated in a few small areas of town and mostly drug related. So, the high crime seems to be a bit relative. Anyway, any suggestions would be welcomed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2007, 03:42 PM

1,025 posts, read 4,096,684 times
Have you looked at Thomasville, Georgia? It's known as the City of Roses and there are some lovely old homes there.

Old 03-01-2007, 12:46 PM

4 posts, read 84,249 times
I hate Albany. No offense to anyone who lives there, but I worked there for over two years and commuted an hour each way every day (I grew up in and lived in Moultrie) so I wouldn't have to live in Albany. I just think it's unpleasant and dirty. I love Moultrie--it's a lovely city and has so much charm. I know you said that it seemed a little small for you, but Moultrie is growing by leaps and bounds, and the commute to Camilla wouldn't be that far. I miss my small hometown. I live in Macon now, and while I love it here, there's nothing like small town living.

Old 03-01-2007, 06:08 PM

11,396 posts, read 24,462,559 times
I may be the only one on this forum who doesn't hate Albany and I spent a fair amount of my childhood there. And no, I didn't like it much when I lived there, but I still visit occasionally and don't find it to be all that bad. If you know where to look there are plenty of nice people and several nice neighborhoods, both in town and in the burbs.

As for those complaints about snobs, usually the kinds of people who whine about that sort of thing have a chip on their shoulders to begin, or are pretty insecure to be concerned over what anybody else thinks of them. We can't all be doctor's wives can we - and would we want to be? Really.

What did I not like about Albany? It lacked a lot culturally. As a relatively bright kid, there was little to challenge me and plenty of trouble to get into. I think things have improved a bit, but it's hard to make anything stick.

Racial inequity in Albany is one of its biggest problems. But that problem is spread throughout the region. There are some very angry and resentful people on both sides of the problem who are behaving more like children than rational adults. Shame on them all.

What are its opportunities? It is a fair sized city with relatively low housing prices, a good supply of housing, plenty of green space, average shopping, and two decent colleges, and a growing economy. If you like small town values, there's plenty of that. People are fairly conservative and religious. It has warm winter weather, several golf courses, lakes for skiing and fishing, and farms and forests for hunting. Traffic is rarely a problem except for the occasional slowdown near the mall.

I really believe there is a core of dedicated people who are trying to improve the city, but they seldom get recognition or adequate support from the naysayers and sticksinthemud who allowed the city to go downhill in the first place.

Now I like Moultrie, Camilla, and Americus just fine. But if you live in one of those towns you'll still find yourself commuting to Macon, Albany, Atlanta, or Tallahassee for shopping trips and cultural events. It's just how it is.

Old 03-03-2007, 08:06 PM

5 posts, read 30,155 times
Default Relocation Tip for Albany

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenhalt View Post
Husband is looking at a job in Camilla, GA. I have tried to research a little on the net and am only finding bad things said about Albany ? But I am not finding much else that would not be more than a 35 mile commute for him. Thomasville & Moultrie seem a little too small for our tastes. We dont need something as big as Albany, but I also dont want to have to drive 40 miles to get to everything other than WalMart. Does anyone have any suggestions ? As far as crime goes, we live in Sumter, SC, which has a crime index of 820 and in 2004 was rated the highest crime in a metro area, but we have had no problems at all and in fact all the crime seems to be concentrated in a few small areas of town and mostly drug related. So, the high crime seems to be a bit relative. Anyway, any suggestions would be welcomed.
My husband and I relocated to Albany in 5/2006 and we have not experienced any problems. I like Albany because it's affordable and the people here are very friendly.

Old 03-03-2007, 09:47 PM

108 posts, read 693,082 times
Check out Leesburg in Lee County. Fast growing and close to Albany.

Old 03-28-2007, 08:14 AM

29 posts, read 255,624 times
"As for those complaints about snobs, usually the kinds of people who whine about that sort of thing have a chip on their shoulders to begin, or are pretty insecure to be concerned over what anybody else thinks of them. We can't all be doctor's wives can we - and would we want to be? Really."

Yeah and its comments like this that perpetuate the complaints... Just because someone doesn't like a city and notes how uttertly and needlessly stuck-up MOST of the people are doesn't mean they have a chip on their shoulder... it most likely means that they were intelligent enough to see how phony the people that made up their immediate surroundings were and weren't influenced by the backwards culture which makes up Albany in its entirety... Its funny how sooooooo many people can talk poorly about this town, but then you have these certain people who want to group them all up and say they are whining... why not leave out your theories on why these people hate the town and stick to what you actually know about the city..

signed,
An apparent Whiner with a Chip on His Shoulder who used to live in Albany

Old 03-31-2007, 04:38 AM

283 posts, read 1,194,048 times
Well I personnally would not reccommend living in Albany itself unless you really want to be an active citizen willing to make improvements to the city you belong to. That is the only kind of person that should move into any city struggling but trying to make it. That accounts for most of America so, with said and not knowing what requirements would make your Albany a better place. I would have to agree with Ellie about Albany itself and would recommend Thomasville (small but 30 min from Tallahassee and 30 min from Camilla). If you can find job elsewhere in same area; Tifton just because its an all round great place, & Valdosta about the same size as Albany and doesn't face as many problems but I would still have to recommend Thomasville because of its closeness to Tallahassee for any events you may want to attend.

Travel has just become a way of life for anyone in GA. If your in Metro ATL you drive hours on end because your stuck in traffic. Elsewhere in GA you drive hours on end because your bored and looking for more to do; however, as far as entertainment and cultural activities go, living somewhere between Valdosta, GA and Tallahassee, FL will give you the shortest drive times to get to anything you possibly want to do with the exception of pro-sport games and mountains adventures.
Wild Adventures (like 6Flags with a zoo) just south of Valdosta
Major Colleges, Museums, Theaters, Etc. are all going to be 10min to an hour drive dependant upon where excactly you live there. Beaches will be about 2-2.5 hrs away. If you would like more info I would be more than happy to direct you.

Old 04-09-2007, 07:19 PM

251 posts, read 1,128,340 times
If you like Sumter Sc you'll probably love Albany Ga. Very similar demographically, but a much larger city and much better facilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia