Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2011, 11:23 AM

14 posts, read 20,908 times

Advertisements

I've heard folks talk about there being two different parts of the south, the upper south and the lower south. It's sort of confusing to me because I from NC and I've always prided myself in being a southerner.These people got their maps online of two South's and from what I can understand their saying that the people in NC, TN, and AR are less southern then the folks in states below us. What I'd like to know is what the good people in GA think of there being an upper south and a lower south. What do ya'll think of states like NC, TN, and AR? Do you think their any less southern? Thank You!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2011, 11:49 AM

23,523 posts, read 44,204,364 times
Are they any less Southern? Absolutely not. But I do believe that there are marked differences within the region, and that is not a bad thing at all. Love NC, love GA. Most of the two share a regional kinship in the mountains and Piedmont area. The coasts are where they really differ, but both possess breathtakingly beautiful coastlines.

Old 07-30-2011, 01:25 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,991,205 times
Completely agree with Decatur. Sure, there are definitely differences, but that doesn't make North Carolina less southern than Georgia.

Old 07-30-2011, 01:50 PM

14 posts, read 20,908 times
Thank ya'll for replying!!!

Old 07-30-2011, 04:57 PM

37,904 posts, read 42,102,412 times
Georgia, along with other states like AL, MS, and LA are considered "deep South" while states like NC and VA are considered "upper South." I know TN sometimes calls itself "mid-South," at least in the Memphis area. There are regional differences within the South and even within states themselves. I think parts of east TX have some of those "deep South" characteristics but the state as a whole isn't considered "deep South" (or even Southern, depending on who you talk to). North FL might be said to be "deep South" but the rest of the state is different.

Old 07-31-2011, 06:22 AM

2,399 posts, read 4,225,972 times
Extreme north Georgia, in the mountains, is similar to the western North Carolina mountains, both in look, feel, and culture.

The Piedmont area of northern and central Georgia, is similar to the Piedmont area of western and central North Carolina, in look, feel, and culture.

The coastal plain areas of southern Georgia are similar to the coastal plain areas of North Carolina away from the coast/cape, in look, feel, and culture.

The only real difference is that the residents of coastal Georgia seem more southern than the coastal residents of North Carolina, probably because a greater percentage of native residents live along Georgia's coast, while a greater percentage of transplants live along North Carolina's coast, given closer proximity to the north.

Overall, Georgia and North Carolina are very similar when comparing the various regions. Georgia has one mega metro and several smaller ones, while North Carolina has several midsized metros and a few smaller ones. Georgia also tends to have greater swaths of very rural land, such as in South Georgia, compared to North Carolina (eastern North Carolina is a bit smaller in size than southern Georgia).

I'd say that Georgia is much more similar to North Carolina than Tennessee. Only far northwest Georgia has the "Tennessee feel", in my opinion, in places north and west of Cartersville, including places like LaFayette, Summerville, Rome, and the like.

I only look at the south, in terms of deep south and upper south, in relation to physical location and geography. Culturally and topographically, the characteristics of deep and upper south overlap with the lay of the land, historic settlements, and economic development.

Old 08-01-2011, 06:28 AM

23,523 posts, read 44,204,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
The only real difference is that the residents of coastal Georgia seem more southern than the coastal residents of North Carolina, probably because a greater percentage of native residents live along Georgia's coast, while a greater percentage of transplants live along North Carolina's coast, given closer proximity to the north.
The coastal areas of NC and GA are actually quite different in terms of topography. The coast of NC has significantly less vegetation than GA's and has an austere beauty than is unique to any coast that I've ever seen. GA's coast has an unusually heavy tree canopy due to the fact that its' position on the Georgia Bight gives it relative protection from tropical storms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia