Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 11:12 AM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by west_end_don View Post
Once again - great post with good info. I'm starting to think you work for the national film board though!!!!

--Offtopic--

The Africville evictions are a pretty well known event in Canada. I remember learing about it in high school.
As for the black community in Ontario and else where - I think they have been almost completly eclipsed by the much larger (and later arrived) West Indian/Carribean community.
I think many of the African-American decendant communities have either assimilated into the larger West Indian immigrant communities in the larger cities, or disapeared into "White Canadian" society through marriage etc...
I remember reading an article about a SW Ontario town with a black past, where many of the "white" residents were keen on suppressing history, especially in regards to genealogy.
Only the Black Nova Scotian community has any real presence.
Actually, Windsor, Chatham, Dresden, Amherstburg, Colchester, Wallaceburg, London and places in that part of Ontario still have communities where the African American presence is still strong. If you look at the one film about the Black cemetary that became a farm, the older Black couple are 7th generation Canadians. So, that goes back before immigration, which started about 40-45 years ago or so.

I believe the town you are referring to is Priceville in Ontario:Priceville, Ontario - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lucan, which was called Wilberforce is another community like that:Wilberforce Colony - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Check this out:Archives of OntarioImages of Black History: Exploring the Alvin McCurdy Collection

One more thing people don't know is that Ontario had segregated schools until 1965(just look above for that info.) in Essex County by Windsor and the last segregated school in Nova Scotia didn't close supposedly until 1983. dalnews.dal.ca - The Little Black Schoolhouse (look after "Zoom in").

More good info.:DaCosta 400 - 400 Years of black Canadiana
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Blacks in every city have southern sounding accents. Some are thicker than others. The only place I have lived where blacks DO NOT sound southern at all is NYC, Jersey and Boston. In DC and Baltimore, there is a mix of north and south. They say Brova for brother and farva for father just like in NY but they are drag out the R's. Murland for Maryland and urea for area. In Baltimore, they say Dug for Dog. Its a Midatlantic accent if anything because it's not all the way northern or southern. In Philly, you can hear some of it but it is more Jerseyish. In Virginia, especially the Tidewater region, you can hear it. Notable African Amercans with the Midatlantic accent. Allen Iverson, Alonzo Mourning, Dave Chappelle, Taraji P. Henson, Martin Lawrence, Carmelo Anthony.
That's so true. I met a guy from outside of Baltimore that said "Murland".

A lot of people from Michigan sound like they have a Southern accent to some degree too. I noticed it when I went to college there at State.

Then, when I transferred to a state college in New York, people from NYC would say that Black people from Upstate had a Southern accent too. I think that is due to the fact that many of the places Upstate have a lot of Black people with families that have only been living there for the past 50-60 or so and a lot of the families come from Georgia, Florida, SC, NC, Eastern Alabama and Southern VA.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:30 PM

366 posts, read 1,185,774 times
Ckhthankgod - You need to be teaching a university course or something.

--off topic--
With maybe the exception of Windsor, I don't think there is a "strong" A-A presence in any of those towns... A strong historic presence - sure.
The young people have long left these communities. They are footnotes in history books nowadays...

--on topic--
I have a friend from upstate NY who has a real 'southern' accent too. I notice it sometimes in Buffalo. Joke is my friends people are West Indian background...

Old 04-14-2009, 12:39 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
Where is the accent from where 'car' is pronounced 'core' and scared is pronounced 'skeered'? This accent also has very emphasized 'R's. I assumed it was west coast because it is strongly evident in the Scraper Bike video.

ABQConvict

Old 04-14-2009, 12:59 PM

1,694 posts, read 5,681,186 times
Yeah..Bay Area has a pretty distinct regional accent for AA.

Old 04-14-2009, 03:37 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,008,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I respectfully disagree. I have family in South Florida and they all have a Southern accent. They have the drawl, the speech, and the way of life equal to that of any other Southern area. It's starting to die out in Miami due to there not being that many Black Americans there compared to the Black Caribbean's outnumbering them down there.
You're not disagreeing with me. That's what I said.

For many whites, southern accents die out south of Ocala. However, AA's tend to have southern accents no matter what part of the state they live in (Miami, Tampa, Fort Myers, included).

Old 04-14-2009, 05:01 PM

3,084 posts, read 5,237,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Where is the accent from where 'car' is pronounced 'core' and scared is pronounced 'skeered'? This accent also has very emphasized 'R's. I assumed it was west coast because it is strongly evident in the Scraper Bike video.

ABQConvict
Yeah that's definitely west coast, especially the Bay Area. It's also prevalent (too a lesser extent) in Cleveland and Detroit.

Old 04-14-2009, 05:05 PM

3,084 posts, read 5,237,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
Funny, because to me, also being from Michigan, the only Southern accents I hear in this area are from people who are from the South.
Yeah. Judge Greg Mathis doesn't sound southern at all to me. Especially when he pronounces "car".

Old 04-15-2009, 12:35 AM

4,552 posts, read 15,025,241 times
all the black people I have talked to here in Albuquerque mostly have accents,not too many are actually born and raised here, most are from the South or NYC.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west_end_don View Post
Ckhthankgod - You need to be teaching a university course or something.

--off topic--
With maybe the exception of Windsor, I don't think there is a "strong" A-A presence in any of those towns... A strong historic presence - sure.
The young people have long left these communities. They are footnotes in history books nowadays...

--on topic--
I have a friend from upstate NY who has a real 'southern' accent too. I notice it sometimes in Buffalo. Joke is my friends people are West Indian background...
Other communities that do are Amherstburg, the Chatham area, which includes Dresden, North Buxton and Wallaceburg along with Chatham, the town of Essex, with places like London, St. Catharines, Welland and Niagara Falls having some as well. Some are in towns where the community
doesn't make up 1% of the general population of a town. Here's a good place to look:Community Profiles from the 2006 Census, Statistics Canada
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.