Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 04:34 AM

312 posts, read 1,519,393 times

Advertisements

San Francisco temperature and sunshine are much more bigger than Seattle
That's NOT similar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 02:01 PM

1,071 posts, read 4,452,450 times
Boston. It is just as entertaining as Frisco or Seattle with better weather and better proximity to other large metropolises.

Old 03-06-2008, 04:07 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,240,802 times
If you want a city that's not too cold then Boston is out. Seattle has 4 seasons and winters are down right mild compared to Boston. All three are pretty entertaining with all the big city amenities. For someone to say Seattle is gloomy 11 months of year, maybe they've never been. Though Seattle beaches are not the caribbean, it does have tons of city beaches which are just minutes away from anywhere in the city. Yes you can swim in them or just take a stroll year around.
Summer

Winter/Feb

Old 03-12-2008, 09:48 AM

4 posts, read 9,062 times
Default Anything but Boston

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillside View Post
Boston. It is just as entertaining as Frisco or Seattle with better weather and better proximity to other large metropolises.
I lived in Greater Boston area for 12 years now. My work is mostly in DT Boston. I can say with confidence that Boston's weather is bad. Here is why. The winters are LOOOONG. They are cold. My wife and my 2 kids (2 and 4) have to spend 6 months out of a year in our house, as getting outside for a walk is out of the question - we don't want our kids to get sick yet again, and my wife hates the windchill. When we didn't have kids, it was bearable, as we could take the cold "head on", but not with the kids. I am sick of being constantly sick sitting inside 4 walls of our nice house in Canton (20 miles away from DT Boston) and sneezing and coughing along with the rest of my family.

The summers are usually very hot and humid. That means spending a good part of your weekend indoors when it is very humid, and that feels not much better than sitting indoors during the winter. At night, since we like walking, we have to use plenty of bug repellent to avoid mosquitoes - they are so plentiful and hungry (we live in the burbs) that we avoid humid nights when mosquito activity is high.

The people: overall, Bostonians are somewhat snobby and getting into a "circle" can be problematic. There are plenty of foreigners and students and other non-natives though.

What I like about Boston is availability of high tech jobs ( I am a software consultant ), relative proximity to Europe and the Carribean, plenty of restaurants and other entertainment options (though it gets "old" after a while) and Cape Cod. The Cape has good beaches with relatively warm waters, but it gets VERY crowded in the season (read high prices and a parking lot on the highway).

Overall, we are now looking for a place to move to and also are considering Bellevue, WA (where my wife's father lives) and California (not sure which place there yet). So far we are almost convinced that CA will be the ideal place for us to move to, as sunny warm weather is very important to us. WA seems to be the worst of the 3 (SF, Boston, Seattle) in terms of the weather (only 144 sunny days a year on average, compared to about 250 for SF and 201 for Boston).

Old 03-12-2008, 10:24 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,125,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony from Europe View Post
San Francisco temperature and sunshine are much more bigger than Seattle
That's NOT similar
have you lived in Seattle or San Francisco???

Old 03-12-2008, 10:36 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,054,063 times
Botev1912, think Tony from Europe might have limited English language skills.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:37 AM

312 posts, read 1,519,393 times
No,but i'm see on EVERYYYYY web-page that SF has much more bigger sunshine and temperature than Seattle
Californians,acquit me

Old 03-12-2008, 11:54 AM

1,989 posts, read 6,597,132 times
If the glove doesn't fit, you must acquit!

Old 03-12-2008, 12:17 PM

1,071 posts, read 4,452,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by javaman888 View Post
I lived in Greater Boston area for 12 years now. My work is mostly in DT Boston. I can say with confidence that Boston's weather is bad. Here is why. The winters are LOOOONG.
Try moving to Cincinnati. . Coincidentally, I've only been to Boston during the winter, and it seemed milder than I would expect for New England every time. But you lived there, so you know.

Old 03-12-2008, 12:38 PM

30 posts, read 119,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillside View Post
Try moving to Cincinnati. . Coincidentally, I've only been to Boston during the winter, and it seemed milder than I would expect for New England every time. But you lived there, so you know.
I just moved here a couple months ago, and its winter. It snows sometimes, but nothing unbearable. I also have found it easy to get into a circle of friends, maybe the poster doesn't make friends easily.

In the end, its all a matter of taste. All are great choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.