Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 06:30 AM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Then open a thread on THAT. The OP is interested in a different angle and it would appear your narrow interests hold little fascination for him or her. In this particular thread, I feel the same.

Goodbye
Amen to this. This thread has gone completely off the rails.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 07:42 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,787,860 times
Here's one for the OP: https://www.city-data.com/city/Hershey-Pennsylvania.html

The city-data page is light on residential neighborhood photos but they would certainly fit in with the vision. The OP points focused more on "Elm Street" criteria than "Main Street," which also fits Hershey which is missing its commercial core, locally owned businesses are in adjacent Hummelstown or Palmyra, older towns with houses crowding the road in a manner common to PA but not quite the all-American look.

I don't think Wellsboro, PA or Homer, NY were mentioned yet, both have larger lots evoking New England heritage and have retained community based organizations such as The Deane Center and Center for the Arts without being college towns themselves (both have state university campuses in neighboring towns). (Edit: I now see ckh slipped Homer into the list)

If the more crowded house form is acceptable, some more classic small PA towns would be Boiling Springs, Mifflinburg, Muncy, Hughesville, McConnellsburg, Bedford, Danville. If small colleges are acceptable then Lewisburg, Selinsgrove, possibly Bloomsburg could be choices.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:40 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
How about Mayville, North Dakota (pop. 1,779), where your State Farm insurance agent will be Jessica DeClerq (for real).

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...-_downtown.jpg

Old 04-23-2012, 08:52 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
Do you have any idea of what this thread is about? Whitefish Bay is a ritzy-ditzy lakeshore suburb of Milwaukee, referred to locally as
"White-Folks Bay" for its general snootiness, where the median household income is over $100K and the median real estate price is more then double the state average. The REAL Andy Griffith and Ron Howard would barely be able to afford to live there.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:19 AM

134 posts, read 243,198 times
I think you can find "Mayberry" type towns in a lot of rural areas. I've been all over the country and you can find those white-picket fences, flags flying, parades and community involvement almost everywhere. Once you get out of the big city, its easy to still find Mayberry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Yes I noticed. And it gave me the creeps.

Imagine someone seeing a picture from a town that's 90%+ black and calling it "creepy" because of the skin color of the people in the picture. Removed - this sounds personal - DON'T

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 04-23-2012 at 08:51 PM..

Old 04-23-2012, 09:34 AM

687 posts, read 1,377,448 times
I think the person mentioned race because a lot of people make reference to growing up in "Mayberry," or say things like "it no longer seems like the town I grew up in," back "before things changed" as code words for before blacks and Hispanics moved in.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:23 AM

2,122 posts, read 3,686,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundman View Post
I think the person mentioned race because a lot of people make reference to growing up in "Mayberry," or say things like "it no longer seems like the town I grew up in," back "before things changed" as code words for before blacks and Hispanics moved in.
Or those words mean that neighbors are less and less likely to talk to each other, and that the community isn't as involved and tight-knit as it used to be. I have no idea where you came up with these so called "code words".

Before Air Conditioning, people used to sit on their front porches and neighbors would talk to one another every evening (In the South anyway, where A/C is most useful). Obviously that doesn't happen as much as it used to since A/C is widespread. Why sit outside in the 90 degree heat & humidity when you could be inside in the A/C? Unfortunately, that's just the way it is.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:26 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,662,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
Or... maybe they just aren't in those pictures. If you take a picture at the town parade, there's a 90% chance that only white people will be in it.
Nah....

If the town is 90% white then the chance is 90% one person will be white.

So the chance all 10 people will be white is 0.9^ 10. Putting that into my calc that's about 35%. There looked to be about 20 people in those photographs so .9^20 = 12%.

Of course people self segregate and all that. What those photos prove is the blacks in town don't hang out with the whites.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:52 PM

93,329 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Balducci View Post
Why not check into Mount Airy, North Carolina, Andy Griffith's hometown?

God bless,

CKB
Good point. After looking at information on MT. Airy, these places in NY may fit in terms of some demographics and size: Welcome to Newark, New York

City of Corning*
Corning's Gaffer District - Corning, New York - Shopping - Entertainment - Museums - Food

Village of Goshen - Home Page

Potsdam, NY

Town and Village of Canton

Village of Suffern

Hornell NY :: City of Hornell
City of Hornell, New York, USA

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 04-23-2012 at 02:18 PM..

Old 04-23-2012, 06:12 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,861,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Do you have any idea of what this thread is about? Whitefish Bay is a ritzy-ditzy lakeshore suburb of Milwaukee, referred to locally as
"White-Folks Bay" for its general snootiness, where the median household income is over $100K and the median real estate price is more then double the state average. The REAL Andy Griffith and Ron Howard would barely be able to afford to live there.

Idyllic places, if they ever existed, are increasingly just suburbs of big cities or perhaps the occasional tourist trap. Ok, so WFB is a bit upscale, but it's not that upscale.
Sadly, friendly, safe, livable podunk places are increasingly rare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.