Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 08:13 PM

8,312 posts, read 3,930,579 times

Advertisements

Metro Detroit without a doubt. Depressing in almost every aspect... bleak, crumbling infrastructure of failed industries... dirty, polluted, decaying... just a very grim scene, and that's just the physical backdrop. Of course this is a generalization, but I would have to describe the average Detroitian as embittered, angry, disillusioned, impatient and unhappy. Can't say that I can blame them too much. I am sure I'd be the same if I had watched my life disintegrate along with the American automotive companies.

Old 12-19-2009, 08:30 PM

9,471 posts, read 10,810,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
Metro Detroit without a doubt. Depressing in almost every aspect... bleak, crumbling infrastructure of failed industries... dirty, polluted, decaying... just a very grim scene, and that's just the physical backdrop. Of course this is a generalization, but I would have to describe the average Detroitian as embittered, angry, disillusioned, impatient and unhappy. Can't say that I can blame them too much. I am sure I'd be the same if I had watched my life disintegrate along with the American automotive companies.
\
Most of us here in Michigan have considered Detoilet a joke for years. It is an embarassment to our whole state. Driving through it on the highway is so depressing that one wants to start popping prozaks. Broken roads, buildings boarded up, buildings burned out, dazed confused druggie looking people everywhere. Most of us wish we could give it to Canada, but im sure that would start a war. We just wish we could get rid of it, because we are sick of the damage it does to our states reputation. In my opinion Detoilet Michigan is on the top of the list of worst metro areas.

Old 12-19-2009, 08:35 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,697,701 times
I Also disagree with Orlando, It has a nice downtown with a vibrant arts culture, very nice downtown neighborhoods (Thornton Park, College Park, Delaney Park, Winter Park, Colonial Town, Baldwin Park, etc) all with a high sense of community. Orlando also has a lot of nice suburbs (Oviedo, Lake Mary, Windemere (tiger woods), Winter Springs, Clermont, etc). Orlando also has a huge world class medical city under way, and strong high tech/aerospace indusrty along with the world class tourism/convention industry.. On top of that there is a brand new high tech arena under construction that will be the Orlando Magic's new home next year, and a new world class preforming arts center that is scheduled to start construction in the spring. On top of all that Orlando was just approved for a commuter rail system that will be up and running sometime in 2011.

If you leave the tourist corridor of Orlando you will find a lot of independently owned restaurants, but there are a lot of chains everywhere, but thats not a bad thing cause its not ONLY chain places. Yes there is a high crime rate but it is mostly concentrated in one small area of the city of Orlando. the majority of metro orlando is pretty safe.

As for schools, Seminole and Orange county are both A rated school districts. over 17 metro Orlando high schools made newsweek magazines list of Americas top 1,000 high schools (all which are among the top 10% of high schools in the nation). Orlando is also home to the nations 3rd largest University.

Metro Orlando is not one of the nations worst Metros. There's plenty worse.

Old 12-20-2009, 08:39 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,365,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lprmesia View Post
Toledo, OH.

Classless, cultureless, clueless.

1. The city is cultureless. The McDonald's in Downtown closes at 5pm.
Wow. what a bunch of uncultured cretins. If they had any class their McDonalds would stay open until 9pm, at least. :-)

ABQConvict

Old 12-20-2009, 08:53 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,927,801 times
Charlotte NC and Phoenix AZ. Both are one big suburb filled with chain restaurants.

Old 12-20-2009, 10:27 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,174,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Miami is a beautiful place to VISIT! I will tell you though, living here is a whole different ball game. Although I am in a nice suburb outside of Fort Lauderdale and generally enjoy living here, the difference between Miami Dade and surrounding counties is stark. Here, the main limitations are high costs of living+low wages and (in most cases) poor public education. In Miami-Dade county, it sucks in every category. Honestly, I think I have it all out here, but boy do you pay! . I am about a half an hour outside of Miami, btw, but they consider this the Fort Lauderdale area.
I am in South Beach and LOVE it here. Like many other metros, specific location is a big deal. In MiamiDade, it's probably even more important. That said, In Florida, I still like the Miami area better than any other metro in the state.

Old 12-21-2009, 12:39 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,104,323 times
Las Vegas
Phoenix
Miami

Old 12-21-2009, 05:46 AM

1,988 posts, read 7,151,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
I Also disagree with Orlando, It has a nice downtown with a vibrant arts culture, very nice downtown neighborhoods (Thornton Park, College Park, Delaney Park, Winter Park, Colonial Town, Baldwin Park, etc) all with a high sense of community. Orlando also has a lot of nice suburbs (Oviedo, Lake Mary, Windemere (tiger woods), Winter Springs, Clermont, etc). Orlando also has a huge world class medical city under way, and strong high tech/aerospace indusrty along with the world class tourism/convention industry.. On top of that there is a brand new high tech arena under construction that will be the Orlando Magic's new home next year, and a new world class preforming arts center that is scheduled to start construction in the spring. On top of all that Orlando was just approved for a commuter rail system that will be up and running sometime in 2011.

If you leave the tourist corridor of Orlando you will find a lot of independently owned restaurants, but there are a lot of chains everywhere, but thats not a bad thing cause its not ONLY chain places. Yes there is a high crime rate but it is mostly concentrated in one small area of the city of Orlando. the majority of metro orlando is pretty safe.

As for schools, Seminole and Orange county are both A rated school districts. over 17 metro Orlando high schools made newsweek magazines list of Americas top 1,000 high schools (all which are among the top 10% of high schools in the nation). Orlando is also home to the nations 3rd largest University.

Metro Orlando is not one of the nations worst Metros. There's plenty worse.
I agree. The crime and traffic are not as bad as people make them seem, and in the heart of the city in the areas you mentioned, and in Winter Park there are several really charming older neighborhoods with great non chain restaurants. I love Orlando!

Old 12-22-2009, 02:10 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,711,843 times
I remember the impression I had of Africa before my first visit there. I LOVE Africa and plan on buying a home there for future retirement. I also LOVE Detroit. Detroit is one of my favorite metropolitan areas, as a former resident I would still be there if not for the economy. I love Detroit for its people and culture. I form relationship with people….not inanimate objects like buildings.

Old 12-22-2009, 02:44 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,874,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickmama View Post
Charlotte NC and Phoenix AZ. Both are one big suburb filled with chain restaurants.
Yep, and we love it too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.