Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2015, 12:01 PM

7 posts, read 13,148 times

Advertisements

We're getting ready to move from FL to MO and will be getting a 28' trailer delivered to pack up. The trailer is delivered and I think they give you 2-3 days to pack it before they come pick it back up.

Our house here and the new house there are in typical neighborhoods with houses kind of close together with short driveways. The driveways aren't big enough to accomodate the trailer, so they would have to park at the curb.

Has anyone had issues with the trailer being parked in front of the house for a day or so? Whom would I contact to find out if that's ok? The HOA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2015, 12:10 PM

7,244 posts, read 7,067,976 times
Hoa, city, neighbors

Our HOA would never allow it...

good luck

Old 11-09-2015, 12:25 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,995,583 times
The Roads in my HOA area are public roads,

The county will allow "occasional" Trailers parked on residential streets, for "Day or Two".

(I think the ordinance is 24 hours on all streets, and there need to enough space so a FireTruck can get past it / Not block flow of traffic on the road. ),

You need to call the sheriff department and tell them, They note it in the computer for the deputies.

But to your question...

I'd Start with your HOA.
Then Call the City or County that has jurisdiction to your area, I'd Start with the Non/Emergency Police/Sheriff Number, they can direct you to who you would call.

Last edited by flyonpa; 11-09-2015 at 01:00 PM..

Old 11-09-2015, 02:05 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,611,290 times
If you run into parking issues, remember that a possible alternative is to have ABF keep the trailer at their nearest terminal, and you use a U-Haul (or whatever) to shuttle your stuff from there to the house.

Obviously a pain and an expense, but sometimes necessary ( like going to/from a NYC apartment :-( )

Old 11-13-2015, 11:39 AM

389 posts, read 916,355 times
We have used the ABF trailers several times now for cross-country moves. One time we had to contact the city we lived in so that the police would know that we had permission to have this big semi trailer parked at the curb on a main street for 2 days (overnight). We did not take advantage and ask for more time.

Next home had a driveway and no problems having the trailer parked for as long as we needed.

Third house was located in a condo/townhouse association with absolutely no overnight parking in front of your unit. We were unaware of this rule until we got to talking with our new neighbors prior to move-in (we arrived ahead of our trailer). For both times (moving in and moving out), we had the trailer parked at the curb outside the association for two days, renting a U-Haul pick-up to offload when we moved in, using friends' pick-ups when we moved out. A little inconvenient but we made it work. We just had to check to make sure this time did not fall during street-sweeping days!

Most recent delivery was to our private home with a long enough driveway. We had it dropped one day and called right away to have it picked up, knowing that we had a few hours to empty it and get it out of there (just a pain blocking the whole front).

Everything always worked, but it paid to prepare ahead of time.

Old 11-14-2015, 05:47 PM

105 posts, read 171,270 times
I used a Upack trailer and parked it in front of my house. They took care of getting the permit from the city for me.

Old 11-19-2015, 02:37 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,681,070 times
Even if it assumed that the HOA or city doesn't like it, by they time they get around to doing anything about it the thing will likely be gone, right?

Old 11-23-2015, 03:01 PM

389 posts, read 916,355 times
That all depends on how vigilant the homeowners are in the area. If they report something to the police, you can bet the tow trucks will arrive because that will be a big fee that they can collect. And you can bet that fee will be passed along to you, whether your belongings have been unloaded or not.

Old 11-28-2015, 11:41 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,435,785 times
Yes I moved this way and it was a nightmare. I went the entire route of hiring the ABF and UPAK people to do the move. Biggest mistake of my life.

In the city from which I moved Portland, OR, I had to get permission from the city to park them and then pay a fee to leave them overnight. Then in my destination city, Cleveland Heights, OH, overnight parking isn't allowed so I had to either pay to leave them in a city lot across the way or beg a neighbor or two to give up their spaces in my building outside for the time it took for the UPAK people go leave and pick up the pods. Fortunately, my neighbors who had two spaces outside were able to find two other spaces inside the building since there were two vacancies at the time.

The guy who was supposed to pick up the pods didn't come when he said he would and that left them out for another day and inconvenienced my neighbors for another day.

This added to the headache of never knowing where my stuff was from one part of the country to the next or not knowing when it would arrive. I kept getting all kinds of false information. Once it did arrive, many things were mangled beyond repair.

Worst way to move, ever. Very costly too.

Old 11-28-2015, 05:24 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,515,246 times
I had no problem at all and I left my Upack for a few days at my house. I moved to NC, Raleigh and no problems. No charges, no complaints and UPack/ABF did a fine job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues